Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby TheHero » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:11 pm

It will be in the history books... and scientist says it could be organic material found on Mars.

The news will be officially announced on the 7th of December 2012:

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513016 ... um-for-now
Last edited by TheHero on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be
friends

Music starts where words leave off.

TheHero
The Show Must Go On

Re: Earthshaking news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:16 pm

I just heard about this an hour ago. It was on Yahoo news, here. Probably other sites as well. I hope they are able to give all the details. Apparently the probe found something and I understand they are not allowed to talk about it for 4 weeks. Not sure what that's all about but it's exciting. :mrgreen:
It's obvious to us that every human chromosome had a corollary chromosome in the dolphin. We found that the dolphin genome and the human genome basically are the same. There’s a few chromosomal rearrangements that have changed the way the genetic material is put together.

Innuendoes
Don't Stop Me Now

Mr Perfect don't exist my little friend!

Postby Tarkus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:19 pm

Can't wait for this. it sounds like it could be the most important news for our species, ever.
Forks Over Knives!

First they ignore you,
Then they laugh at you,
Then they fight you,
Then you win.
- Gandhi.

Tarkus
Spread Your Wings

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F?

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:53 pm

“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

LittleBabyNothing wrote:http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2012/11/21/mars_rover_curiosity_makes_earthshaking_find_no_one_is_talking_but_everyone.html

It's a bit annoying that NASA decided to announce a press conference - surely they knew how many people would react? It's science, not the latest Apple product!

The chances are that whatever it is is actually far more exciting than proof that there was once life on Mars. That's no big deal really. It's probably true, and if it's not, it doesn't really matter because there's clearly not significant life there any more anyway, and there's almost certainly life elsewhere in the universe. Proof would be nice, but it would just be confirmation of what scientists already strongly suspect.

Elessar
Somebody To Love

Postby TheHero » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:11 am

Elessar wrote:
LittleBabyNothing wrote:http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2012/11/21/mars_rover_curiosity_makes_earthshaking_find_no_one_is_talking_but_everyone.html

It's a bit annoying that NASA decided to announce a press conference - surely they knew how many people would react? It's science, not the latest Apple product!

The chances are that whatever it is is actually far more exciting than proof that there was once life on Mars. That's no big deal really. It's probably true, and if it's not, it doesn't really matter because there's clearly not significant life there any more anyway, and there's almost certainly life elsewhere in the universe. Proof would be nice, but it would just be confirmation of what scientists already strongly suspect.

Yes, but if there is organic material on Mars, and they can prove that there has been life on Mars, it will be a sensation. As earthshaking as when people had to accept that the earth was not flat, 600 years ago.
That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be
friends

Music starts where words leave off.

TheHero
The Show Must Go On

Postby FreddiesWhiteDove » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:27 am

Any evidence of any life anywhere other than earth will be earth-shattering, because at the moment, we don't know of any life anywhere else. It'll massively increase the chances that we're not alone in the universe and I ain't just talking about micro-bacterial lifeforms.

FreddiesWhiteDove
We Will Rock You

I know who put the bodies in the wishing well

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:47 am

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:Any evidence of any life anywhere other than earth will be earth-shattering, because at the moment, we don't know of any life anywhere else. It'll massively increase the chances that we're not alone in the universe and I ain't just talking about micro-bacterial lifeforms.

The chances are already close to 1.

Elessar
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 am

Elessar wrote:
FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:Any evidence of any life anywhere other than earth will be earth-shattering, because at the moment, we don't know of any life anywhere else. It'll massively increase the chances that we're not alone in the universe and I ain't just talking about micro-bacterial lifeforms.

The chances are already close to 1.

I find it hard to believe that there isn't life elsewhere in the universe. The only questions to me are whether there is intelligent life and, if so, whether we have ever been visited.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

...and nobody played synthesizer.

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 am

I think the general consensus amongst the relevant scientists is that there's almost certainly life elsewhere, probably intelligent life, and it is probably not within travelling distance of us.

Elessar
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:10 am

Elessar wrote:I think the general consensus amongst the relevant scientists is that there's almost certainly life elsewhere, probably intelligent life, and it is probably not within travelling distance of us.

That's where I start to take issue.

It's not within travelling distance using technology that we have or can understand at the moment - who's to say we know enough to count out more advanced technologies?

It's not so many years ago that the greatest minds wouldn't have conceived of us reaching the moon, yet now we're exploring Mars.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Postby Elessar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:15 am

WeeMann wrote:
Elessar wrote:I think the general consensus amongst the relevant scientists is that there's almost certainly life elsewhere, probably intelligent life, and it is probably not within travelling distance of us.

That's where I start to take issue.

It's not within travelling distance using technology that we have or can understand at the moment - who's to say we know enough to count out more advanced technologies?

It's not so many years ago that the greatest minds wouldn't have conceived of us reaching the moon, yet now we're exploring Mars.

I mean within our travelling distance. The number of planets we could feasibly visit is tiny. If life is a 1-in-a-million thing (for example), there's almost no chance of life within our travel range. However there are billions of planets, so probably thousands with life.

Elessar
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:24 am

Ah, misunderstanding. I'm talking about other civilisations travelling to us. Yeah, we'd struggle to get far enough with our technology as it stands.

WeeMann

Postby JLP » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am

Maybe they have found the fabled Queen Anthology set. :P
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby JLP » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am

Seriously this is exciting news. I cannot wait. :)
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Next

Return to Views Of The World