In the news today (North American version)

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby CNB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
CNB wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Seems as though there is now a shadow government in place...

I hope so because the Trump one is totally off the rails!

It's treason!

If you are referring to the Russians running Trump , that would be treason!
I WANT TO BREAK FREE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
THE SHOW MUST GO ON !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Nice too see the phrase 'checks and balances' being used a lot lately.

Pretty sure that when I advocated such a system (although I said 'filters and barriers'), little more than a week ago but before everyone was talking about it, someone called me a totalitarian.

http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?hl=en&sa= ... en&tbm=nws

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Elessar wrote:Nice too see the phrase 'checks and balances' being used a lot lately.

Pretty sure that when I advocated such a system (although I said 'filters and barriers'), little more than a week ago but before everyone was talking about it, someone called me a totalitarian.

"checks and balances" is the correct term. i hold great value to using the correct term, guess that's because of my juridical background. not because i'm pedantic, but because uniformity is beneficial to the understanding when lots of people join the discussion.

i called your views totalitarian, but that discussion has had it's course.

i've stealthily been called a c*nt yesterday. think we can still have a little word on that though.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, muss man schweigen.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby CNB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm

Donald can't give a speech anywhere without making it about himself and how he won the election!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:02 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:Nice too see the phrase 'checks and balances' being used a lot lately.

"checks and balances" is the correct term. i hold great value to using the correct term, guess that's because of my juridical background. not because i'm pedantic, but because uniformity is beneficial to the understanding when lots of people join the discussion.

i called your views totalitarian, but that discussion has had it's course.

i've stealthily been called a c*nt yesterday. think we can still have a little word on that though.

Hey, if I happen to come up with an idea without knowing it already has a name, I'm not going to feel too bad about that! When I was 9 I independently worked out Pythagoras' Theorem. My teacher said we should call it Elessar's Theorem. Then he revealed that I was a few thousand years too late and I felt sad...but also happy.

I'm not sure who called you a c*nt, but I think I'm the only person who used that word yesterday with a * replacing the second letter. If you think I called you that, you literally comppetely misunderstood what I was saying. Literally 100%.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

CNB wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Seems as though there is now a shadow government in place...

It's treason!

If you are referring to the Russians running Trump , that would be treason!

No, I'm not.
I'm lost in the night
The icy wind is howling out your name
And desolation lingers like a fog
The fire is growing dimmer with the wind

Innuendoes
Somebody To Love

The Master Of Space And Time

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 pm

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.
The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted."

Hmm.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby action » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Elessar wrote:Hey, if I happen to come up with an idea without knowing it already has a name, I'm not going to feel too bad about that! When I was 9 I independently worked out Pythagoras' Theorem. My teacher said we should call it Elessar's Theorem. Then he revealed that I was a few thousand years too late and I felt sad...but also happy.

I'm not sure who called you a c*nt, but I think I'm the only person who used that word yesterday with a * replacing the second letter. If you think I called you that, you literally comppetely misunderstood what I was saying. Literally 100%.

I can just picture the scene. A 9 year old kid working late hours to make up mathematical theories, going with the name "Elessar". pointdexter! :P

ok, i'll take you on your word. guess i'm paranoid. maybe i should go into therapy.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, muss man schweigen.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:34 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:Hey, if I happen to come up with an idea without knowing it already has a name, I'm not going to feel too bad about that! When I was 9 I independently worked out Pythagoras' Theorem. My teacher said we should call it Elessar's Theorem. Then he revealed that I was a few thousand years too late and I felt sad...but also happy.

I can just picture the scene. A 9 year old kid working late hours to make up mathematical theories, going with the name "Elessar". pointdexter! :P

ok, i'll take you on your word. guess i'm paranoid. maybe i should go into therapy.

I've oversold it a bit.

The teacher pulled me and two others aside after we had finished our maths work early. He drew a triangle on a big piece of paper on the floor, and then put little plastic cubes (a bit like lego) along each side. The sides had 3, 4 and 5 squares respectively. He asked us if there was anything we'd noticed about those number. There wasn't. Then he got us to make squares out of each side, and add up the number of cubes in each square. It was 9, 16 and 25. He asked if we'd noticed anything. I said that 9+16=25. He then said that if that was true for every triangle, we could say that Elessar's Law states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. He then told me to look up 'Pythagoras' Theorem' on Encarta (this was pre-internet, of course).

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 am

I'm not worried about a shadow government. There's enough to worry about with the one that's out in the open with the guy at the top and some of his outrageous cabinet members!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 am

Something deeply wrong with Donald Trump:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 85511.html

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby julymorning » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:18 am

"Checks and Balances" was a term I was clinging to at the beginning of the idea Trump might win the election.

Two things, two facts, failed to come to mind though. One, that the typical Congressional method of "checks" is by avoidance and dragging their feet, and can only go for so long. Particularly because the second reason, Trump has no respect for that process and will run roughshod all over it in order to get his way.

As far as "balances" go, that usually plays out in additions, clauses, 'piggybacking' and "We'll give you this, if you give us that" sort of trade offs which so far doesn't seem to be Trump's style. With him it's everything he wants or everything he wants. Period.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby Elessar » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 pm

There's talk that an anti-Trump rally is being encouraged by insiders at the White House with the intention of it getting violent to speed up new anti-protest laws. Genuine protesters are being encouraged NOT to go, because it's a set-up. Impossible to know what to believe. I guess we'll find out in a few hours...

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Elessar wrote:There's talk that an anti-Trump rally is being encouraged by insiders at the White House with the intention of it getting violent to speed up new anti-protest laws. Genuine protesters are being encouraged NOT to go, because it's a set-up. Impossible to know what to believe. I guess we'll find out in a few hours...

I don't trust any of those strange people in Trump's inner circle! The two Steves who co-wrote his very dark inaugural speech about "American carnage" are the creepiest people I've ever seen! I wouldn't be surprised if they set up some violent protestors because they have been known to take paid cheerleaders to events to pump up the crowd!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:08 pm

CNB
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World