In the news today (North American version)

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby Roger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Prior to Trump's political career, there was no suggestion that he was racist (other than his Obama birth certificate claims), and he undoubtedly had working relationships with many non-white people.

This leads us to the unsettling conclusion that the horrible opinions he now gives aren't necessarily his, but are rather the things he knows will appeal to his voter base. He knows that nothing he says or does will win round the liberals, so his best bet is to cement his reputation amongst his biggest supporters. And troublingly, the best way to do that is by doing stuff like this - some of them really do love the way he talks about other countries, other world leaders, foreign policy and suchlike. And that is a disturbing conclusion, because it means that the problem isn't one man, it's 100,000,000+ American men and women.

The positive news of course is that there are another 100,000,000+ Americans (around 2,000,000 more in fact) who abhor Trump and everything he currently stands for.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:36 pm

I used to think white nationalist Steve Bannon was a bad influence on Trump but he’s gone and Trump is still telling blatant lies and saying nasty things. Stephen Miller, Trump’s speech writer actually resembles Joseph Goebbels in both looks and philosophy!

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2017/11/5 ... ly-similar
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 pm

Oh for God's sake, everyone is a Nazi. :roll:
Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Oh for God's sake, everyone is a Nazi. :roll:

Do you honestly think that the President of the USA should be describing other countries as shit holes? He is making your country a laughing stock. The country that you are proud to say you are a citizen of.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:16 pm

JLP wrote:

Do you honestly think that the President of the USA should be describing other countries as shit holes? He is making your country a laughing stock. The country that you are proud to say you are a citizen of.

Oh now you think he's a Nazi as well. :roll:

For your information, I do NOT like nor approve of what he said in regards to several other countries.

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:

Oh now you think he's a Nazi as well. :roll:

For your information, I do NOT like nor approve of what he said in regards to several other countries.

I think he is bloody buffoon who is totally unsuited to the position beholds but I have never called him a Nazi. All I did was askyou a question which you have kindly answered.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

I know, I know...this is where things start sliding into absurdity once more.

I don't like the man at all for various reasons, but I do not think he is this anti-christ that some make him out to be; or - worse - that every person who voted for him is either stupid or bad (I am over-simplifying, but you get my drift). It is similar to the Brexit fallout over here in the UK: some of those who opposed it then went on to accuse the leavers of either being racists ( :roll: ) or too dumb to know what they were voting for.

Thing is, from what I have been reading, Obama was a true hypoctrite and really pissed many Americans off with his bullshit and his backtracking. But, one would assume from most of the media that the man was a bloody saint.

They're all as bad as each other when they get to that level of power - maybe in different ways...but they are all as bad.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:11 am

Obama had to back-track and compromise to get stuff done, because he had the Republicans (rightly or wrongly) blocking him every step along the way. Of course, whenever he did compromise, liberals said he hadn’t gone far enough. I think he realised quite early on that as president you have to compromise; you can’t be a revolutionary.

When he did back-track on his own personal opinions, it was usually for the best. There’s no harm in changing your mind. I read recently: What’s the point in having a mind if you’re not capable of changing it? When he came to power he was anti-gay marriage. By the end of his presidency he’d done a full u-turn and was strongly in favour, and he spoke at great length about why he had changed his mind. I for one am glad that he back-tracked on that issue.

I’m sure if he had his own way, Guantanamo would be closed, guns would be strictly controlled and there’d be a full-blown NHS. I’m sure millions of Americans would be unhappy about that, but the fact that those things didn’t happen was due to the Republicans, not due to his back-tracking.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Roger wrote:Obama had to back-track and compromise to get stuff done, because he had the Republicans (rightly or wrongly) blocking him every step along the way. Of course, whenever he did compromise, liberals said he hadn’t gone far enough. I think he realised quite early on that as president you have to compromise; you can’t be a revolutionary.

When he did back-track on his own personal opinions, it was usually for the best. There’s no harm in changing your mind. I read recently: What’s the point in having a mind if you’re not capable of changing it? When he came to power he was anti-gay marriage. By the end of his presidency he’d done a full u-turn and was strongly in favour, and he spoke at great length about why he had changed his mind. I for one am glad that he back-tracked on that issue.

I’m sure if he had his own way, Guantanamo would be closed, guns would be strictly controlled and there’d be a full-blown NHS. I’m sure millions of Americans would be unhappy about that, but the fact that those things didn’t happen was due to the Republicans, not due to his back-tracking.

To be honest, I am not claiming to be an expert on American politics (I find it as dull as our own), so I cannot argue against your statements - I have only gone by the few bits I have read here and there.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby CNB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:09 pm

There is only one lie that I know of that Obama may have knowingly told in office in 8 years that you can keep your doctor if you want to in Obamacare and the Republicans never let us forget about it but they will not acknowledge even one Trump lie even though he has told more than 2,000 in less than 1 year in office!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:01 pm

IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:06 am

Alright - let’s talk about Hawaii.

What’s the word on the conspiracy theory grapevine? Something’s certainly a bit weird. Apparently alerts were sent on two separate, unrelated systems, so the idea of someone ‘pressing the wrong button’ seems a bit unlikely.

Was it intercepted over the Pacific?? If so, who sent it??

And why was Trump’s first tweet since the incident a rambling rant about that book about him? People were texting goodbye to their loved ones - he should really say something to at least attempt to look vaguely presidential, even though it probably didn’t have anything to do with him.

That said, he thinks Hawaii is in Africa so probably thinks it’s a shithole.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:33 am

BREAKING: Indictment Just Given Out In Hillary Clinton, Uranium One, And Russian Bribery Case

http://www.breakinginfoalert.com/2018/0 ... bery-case/

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 am

Roger wrote:Alright - let’s talk about Hawaii.

What’s the word on the conspiracy theory grapevine? Something’s certainly a bit weird. Apparently alerts were sent on two separate, unrelated systems, so the idea of someone ‘pressing the wrong button’ seems a bit unlikely.

Was it intercepted over the Pacific?? If so, who sent it??

And why was Trump’s first tweet since the incident a rambling rant about that book about him? People were texting goodbye to their loved ones - he should really say something to at least attempt to look vaguely presidential, even though it probably didn’t have anything to do with him.

That said, he thinks Hawaii is in Africa so probably thinks it’s a shithole.

You need to start following some hashtags. There are some very strange things being said. What it eludes to is that maybe it's someone other than Trump behind that twitter account. Maybe. TBH, I haven't even had time to read this stuff in DAYS. I understand Trump may have been in a private conversation with someone when he called those countries a shithole and maybe it's a bit out of context as well. I'll try to check if I have time.

#FolllowTheWhiteRabbit #QAnon #Qanon8chan #8chan #TheStormIsHere #thestormiscoming

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 am

I've been saving this for a few years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/24/us/c ... .html?_r=1

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World