In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:36 pm

pow wow wrote:
Roger wrote:
pow wow wrote:.
Your ophthalmologist knew who did your procedure in the same way I can tell a Picasso from a van Gogh.



I suspect it’s because the scar is perfectly circular and the work of a world-leading expert, but for all I know he might have lasered his initials onto my cornea! I really don’t care, all that matters is I now have fighter-pilot level eyesight.


I might ask you for his name one day soon as at the age of 44 my eyes are starting to go - as long as he doesn’t brand his name in there without asking :-).

It doesn’t matter who said what to whom and his stature in medicine shouldnt have armoured him with the arrogance to think he could do such an act, he crossed the line and should be duly punished.


He can sort out the kind of long-sightedness that one gets in their 40s as well, so yes, ask me and I'll give you his deets. Don't risk your eyes going to Optical Express or similar. There's a 99% chance you'll be fine (that's an actual stat, not layman's rhetoric), but for that extra 1% I reckon it's worth paying for the best.

As for the liver guy: At face value it looks really obvious that what he did was wrong. I mean, he branded his initials onto a liver - that's clearly absurd.

In reality, he was using an argon laser to mark the liver for clinical reasons (I know literally nothing about liver surgery), and the laser doesn't actually damage tissue, and the mark usually disappears within days. I believe that in the case in question, the patient needed further surgery due to complications (unrelated to the branding), and those complications meant that the initials hadn't faded, so the second surgeon saw it. Without wanting to make any groundless accusations, I'd be absolutely amazed if the two cases he was convicted of were the only two. It would be a pretty huge coincidence that the one time he decided to brand a liver, the patient needs further surgeyr for unrelated reasons very soon afterwards and a rival surgeon sees his initials!

The issue of doctors doing stuff that doesn't benefit the patient but doesn't harm them either is an ongoing cause for debate and pain for clinicians. And consent rarely goes into the intricate details of what's being done to the patient. So if a doctor does something that doesn't benefit the patient but doesn't harm them either, are they betraying the trust of their patients?

If, for argument's sake, a drug needs to be given at 1.5-2.5 mg/kg, and a patient weighs 65kg, a doctor might do a quick bit of maths, 65x2=130, that means 130mg, if the drug is 10mg/ml that's 13ml. But 13 is a horrible number, so let's give 14 instead. But...the maths said 13. That extra 14 is purely to placate the doctor's crazy OCD tendencies. The dose range is 1.5-2.5, so 140mg is absolutely fine (actually 150mg would also be fine and 15 is even nicer than 14 so let's give that), so that extra 1ml neither harmed nor benefited the patient. So has the doctor betrayed the patient, because he's done something purely for his own benefit?

I know that's not the same as branding a liver, but I think it's important to realise that doctors are actually humans as well, and humans have weird habits and foibles and superstitions, and I think the mental well-being of the doctor ultimately benefits the patient. So let the OCD doctor give all drugs in numbers divisible by 2 or 5 (ideally both; certainly not prime numbers). As for branding livers...yeah, maybe that's a practice best consigned to history.
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby icy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:50 pm

Roger, slightly off topic, and you don't have to answer my question, but did you get both eyes done at once?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:59 pm

icy wrote:Roger, slightly off topic, and you don't have to answer my question, but did you get both eyes done at once?


Yeah, that's the standard way of doing it. If you have one done first, your brain will get confused and you'll be straining trying to compensate.

It's quick and painless and takes about 10 minutes.
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby icy » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Roger wrote:
icy wrote:Roger, slightly off topic, and you don't have to answer my question, but did you get both eyes done at once?


Yeah, that's the standard way of doing it. If you have one done first, your brain will get confused and you'll be straining trying to compensate.

It's quick and painless and takes about 10 minutes.

Thanks, appreciate that.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16429
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 562 times

Re: In the news today

Postby pow wow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Cheers Roger. I agree, eyes are precious, so I’d pay the extra to get them done by a top guy. I actually didn’t know they did both together, I’ll be taking someone the clinic with me then for the op :-). Doing the maths I know I’d spend more on good glasses in the long run, especially if I didn’t need any revision in the medium term.

I can see your point with the medicine analogy but can you imagine if the nurse then went against the doctors OCD and prescribed the original 130mg even if she knew it wouldn’t harm the patient - the shit would hit the fan, why, because she didn’t follow procedure. Branding your patients isn’t really procedure really is it. Where do you draw the line. Him being reported by a colleague, possibly for the wrong reasons such as professional jealousy, is still a good thing. Whistleblowing is a good thing and needs to happen without fear. I guarantee this surgeon will be working again within a couple of years and I think he should be allowed to.

My mum recently retired from 40 years as a nurse in The Royal and The Southern (you won’t remember that) and some of the stories she recounted about near death mistakes made by staff used to terrify me! But I won’t dwell on the <1% of her service as she loved what she did and she makes me proud that she did it for so long.
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 am

pow wow wrote:I can see your point with the medicine analogy but can you imagine if the nurse then went against the doctors OCD and prescribed the original 130mg even if she knew it wouldn’t harm the patient - the shit would hit the fan, why, because she didn’t follow procedure.


Real doctors give their own drugs, and they give them IV :inj2:

In other news, with Carillion going bust, the new Royal must surely be in even more trouble than it was already in?
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:38 am

pow wow wrote:Him being reported by a colleague, possibly for the wrong reasons such as professional jealousy, is still a good thing. Whistleblowing is a good thing and needs to happen without fear. I guarantee this surgeon will be working again within a couple of years and I think he should be allowed to.


Yes, the issue really is of whistleblowing and a culture of not being able to challenge colleagues. There will have been many members of theatre staff who saw him do this - and I’m sure it happened a few times - but for some reason none of them felt able to challenge him, and it wasn’t until a fellow consultant surgeon found out that it was reported, and being a rival (as is my understanding), he went straight to the police with it. The matter could probably have been dealt with far sooner if a colleague had quietly mentioned to him that it might be best not to graffiti the liver. But for some reason no one felt able to, and that’s the real problem. The act itself isn’t a problem I don’t think.

Clearly he wasn’t being babysat appropriately. Surgeons are borderline psychotics who like cutting people up and they need to be closely monitored by a borderline neurotic to balance out the insanity in the room. This one was clearly stuck on 11 across when the offending mark was made.
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby pow wow » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:18 am

Roger wrote:
pow wow wrote:I can see your point with the medicine analogy but can you imagine if the nurse then went against the doctors OCD and prescribed the original 130mg even if she knew it wouldn’t harm the patient - the shit would hit the fan, why, because she didn’t follow procedure.


Real doctors give their own drugs, and they give them IV :inj2:

In other news, with Carillion going bust, the new Royal must surely be in even more trouble than it was already in?


I think the trust has plans in place for a new contractor if Carillion isn’t rescued. And once it opens there will be immediately less beds than the old Royal....

There’s a lot of investment down that way recently so there’s no way the centrepiece will be left empty.

Incidentally we were in the Royal this morning as other half was coughing up a bit a fresh blood with this flu. Three people in a&e, we thought great! Saw triage, her obs were fine so 6 hour wait for doctor. Triage nurse basically advised us to come back if she got worse. I’d tried the out of hours GP first, 8 hour wait and the walk in centre website said it was closed which we later found out wasn’t the case. As a frequenter of Alder Hey I can say it rarely has such waiting times due to the politically sensitive nature of it being a kids hospital and it receives a fair chunk of charitable donations to help it along. The NHS is on its arse and it’s a national fucking disgrace. Kudos to anyone, including yourself, for working under current conditions.
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 am

pow wow wrote:I think the trust has plans in place for a new contractor if Carillion isn’t rescued. And once it opens there will be immediately less beds than the old Royal....

There’s a lot of investment down that way recently so there’s no way the centrepiece will be left empty.

Incidentally we were in the Royal this morning as other half was coughing up a bit a fresh blood with this flu. Three people in a&e, we thought great! Saw triage, her obs were fine so 6 hour wait for doctor. Triage nurse basically advised us to come back if she got worse. I’d tried the out of hours GP first, 8 hour wait and the walk in centre website said it was closed which we later found out wasn’t the case. As a frequenter of Alder Hey I can say it rarely has such waiting times due to the politically sensitive nature of it being a kids hospital and it receives a fair chunk of charitable donations to help it along. The NHS is on its arse and it’s a national fucking disgrace. Kudos to anyone, including yourself, for working under current conditions.


650 beds to replace the current 750...and Clatters and the Women’s moving over as well! And every bed is a private room...stupid idea, especially on the elderly wards. In a 4-6 bed bay, every patient has 3 other patients keeping an eye on them. Expect lots of 6am crash calls when the nurses do their morning obs...

Yeah, it sounds like A&E is pretty bad across the country at the moment. I don’t really deal with that side of things so I’m a bit insulated from the effects of the winter crisis. I know that the other day, HDU was briefly turned into a flu ITU, and people were talking about the flu of 2009 when 30 year olds were dying...scary stuff. Thankfully I’ve had my jab...

There’s a walk-in centre at the town end of Seel Street I think, near Tesco. No idea how busy it gets though.

On the subject of Hotel Royale - nothing depresses me more than seeing those MASSIVE no smoking signs outside the hospital, with smokers leaning against them, smoking. Often they have a leg or two missing as well, no doubt as a result of smoking. Very sad.
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby pow wow » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 am

Roger wrote:
pow wow wrote:I think the trust has plans in place for a new contractor if Carillion isn’t rescued. And once it opens there will be immediately less beds than the old Royal....

There’s a lot of investment down that way recently so there’s no way the centrepiece will be left empty.

Incidentally we were in the Royal this morning as other half was coughing up a bit a fresh blood with this flu. Three people in a&e, we thought great! Saw triage, her obs were fine so 6 hour wait for doctor. Triage nurse basically advised us to come back if she got worse. I’d tried the out of hours GP first, 8 hour wait and the walk in centre website said it was closed which we later found out wasn’t the case. As a frequenter of Alder Hey I can say it rarely has such waiting times due to the politically sensitive nature of it being a kids hospital and it receives a fair chunk of charitable donations to help it along. The NHS is on its arse and it’s a national fucking disgrace. Kudos to anyone, including yourself, for working under current conditions.


650 beds to replace the current 750...and Clatters and the Women’s moving over as well! And every bed is a private room...stupid idea, especially on the elderly wards. In a 4-6 bed bay, every patient has 3 other patients keeping an eye on them. Expect lots of 6am crash calls when the nurses do their morning obs...

Yeah, it sounds like A&E is pretty bad across the country at the moment. I don’t really deal with that side of things so I’m a bit insulated from the effects of the winter crisis. I know that the other day, HDU was briefly turned into a flu ITU, and people were talking about the flu of 2009 when 30 year olds were dying...scary stuff. Thankfully I’ve had my jab...

There’s a walk-in centre at the town end of Seel Street I think, near Tesco. No idea how busy it gets though.

On the subject of Hotel Royale - nothing depresses me more than seeing those MASSIVE no smoking signs outside the hospital, with smokers leaning against them, smoking. Often they have a leg or two missing as well, no doubt as a result of smoking. Very sad.


Yeah mum said it was madness having all individual rooms for the reasons you state. Be a nice space to recover though without the madness of an old one with a water infection :-) .

A few years ago I broke my ankle and had a plate fitted there and I will confess that once spinal block had worn off and I’d recovered from the shock of wetting the bed whilst awake (no one warned me to take a piss before the spinal block!) I too had been a one (able) legged smoker under that very sign. I know I know. Luckily the wound healed great and I’m a vaper now anyway.
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 556
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:03 pm

UKIP:



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42679187


She may not be an actual UKIP MP but as the girlfriend of their glorious leader, she’s the equivalent of SamCam, Cherie Blair or Michelle Obama.

“...obsessed with race...”
“...gender equality...”
“...don’t want their cultures invading mine...”

I think I’d rather be like Markle!
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 pm

What an awful woman...I wonder what the UKIP leader sees in this 25 year old model?

 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

pow wow wrote:A few years ago I broke my ankle and had a plate fitted there and I will confess that once spinal block had worn off and I’d recovered from the shock of wetting the bed whilst awake (no one warned me to take a piss before the spinal block!)


An empty bladder wouldn’t have made a difference, you’d probably have had an litre of IV fluid during the operation anyway. Who was the anaesthetist? Actually don’t tell me here - but I’m curious.
 
Roger
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1147
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 pm

Roger wrote:UKIP:



http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42679187


She may not be an actual UKIP MP but as the girlfriend of their glorious leader, she’s the equivalent of SamCam, Cherie Blair or Michelle Obama.

“...obsessed with race...”
“...gender equality...”
“...don’t want their cultures invading mine...”

I think I’d rather be like Markle!


Read that earlier and was outraged but not really surprised.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11150
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 414 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm

Just read that the justice secretary is looking at ways to overturn the parlor board's decision to free rapist John Worboys. Whilst I may have reservations about him being released should the Government really be getting involved?
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 11150
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 414 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests