The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 pm

Elessar wrote:.

This woman was very distressed about the possibility that she would wake up, surrounded by people she didn’t know, and wouldn’t be wearing her hijab. ... This woman’s only worry was her identity and her culture being taken away from her when she was at her most vulnerable. ....


sounds like a woman who has a lot of fear and disstress in her life. totally fucked up. I'm reinforced in my beliefs.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I know what's right and what's wrong

      
 
Posts: 2657
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:08 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote: All I’m interested in is defending their right to do what they want to do, as long as it doesn’t harm anyone else.


but you can never be quite sure if they really do what they want to do, right? you can watch 100 videos of muslim women telling us they do it voluntarily, but if these women suffer from stockholm syndrome it's a real problem.

people voluntarily smoke, but it's harmfull nonetheless. So the law forbids smoking in public buildings etc. there are messages on the package and the taxes are exhorbitant, in order to disencourage smokers.

But as bad as smoking is, it doesnt compare to the life-long humiliation of having to wear a burqa and be devoid of all kinds of freedoms that men have. That can not, and will not, be tolerated in a democratic state. You don't care, but that attitude is incompatible with our freedom rights, which our ancestors fought bloody wars for. Including, probably, your ancestors at some point.


Again, you’re assuming that because their behaviour makes you uncomfortable, they must be mentally ill. I don’t think that is a fair assumption.

Passive smoking is harmful. Seeing another person wearing a burkha should not be harmful to you. If you consider yourself wounded by seeing someone conforming to a culture other than your own, the problem lies with you, not with them.

There is nothing humiliating about voluntarily wearing a burkha. In contrast, depriving them of that right can be deeply distressing, see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-10766880

Women who voluntarily wear a burkha are exercising their right to voluntarily wear a burkha. You want to take that right away from them. Why are you singling or women and trying to tell them what they can and cannot wear? Will you also be telling men what you think they should be wearing to make you feel comfortable?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10908
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:13 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:.

This woman was very distressed about the possibility that she would wake up, surrounded by people she didn’t know, and wouldn’t be wearing her hijab. ... This woman’s only worry was her identity and her culture being taken away from her when she was at her most vulnerable. ....


sounds like a woman who has a lot of fear and disstress in her life. totally fucked up. I'm reinforced in my beliefs.


You have absolutely no interest whatsoever in entertaining the possibility that some women want to behave in a way that does not fit your view of normal behaviour. You don’t have to like it or agree with it or support it, you just have to accept it. But you can’t even do that.

I’m atheist by the way. I think the whole thing is ludicrous. “Wearing a burkha makes me feel closer to god” - what the fuck? There is no god you daft cow*! But that’s not the point. Just because I don’t believe in god, and just because I think that people who believe in god are morons*, doesn’t mean that I should dictate the way they live their lives as long as their choices don’t harm anyone else.

(* I’m using hyperbole for effect)
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10908
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Spook2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:51 pm

If you want to cover your body up from head to toe, live in a country that that is socially acceptable - Saudi A

If you want to sprawl yourself on a beach in a bikini, do that in a country where it is socially acceptable, eg a western country and not Saudi Arabia for example

its simple, when in Rome


this does not mean I am racist, Nazi, whatever you think.
I just prefer talking to people when I can see their full facial expression

Using the picture of Princess Di - really - that's scraping the bottom of the barrel to try and prove a point, for which you was put down correctly.
 
Spook2
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:57 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:59 pm

I can see reasons why they "might" want to wear them.

It turns courting into a bit of a "lucky dip", so at least the ugly ones can get a fair crack at the bat. If they were being REALLY fair, all the Muslim blokes would be in body bags too. Saying that, the Israelis seem to be trying to help make that a reality.

As an aside: Makes you wonder what an Islamic wank mag might look like too! Something like a post office mailbox catalogue perhaps?

JOE KING.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14825
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby fairydandy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:23 pm

Elessar wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with saying you don’t like it. I’d argue that it’s kind of none of your business - far more harm has been done by men in suits than by women in burkhas. But everyone’s entitled to their preferences.

My issue is that the outrage over Johnson’s comments is a fraction of the outrage at Corbyn’s mythical anti-semitism. The content of this argument is only part of the problem. The crux of it is media manipulation, and the distressing realisation that as smart as we like to think we are, we seem to be falling for it. But maybe that’s because we want to fall for it.


I don't fall for media manipulation to be honest..my ignorant views have always been my own. ;) I have always hated burkhas and I always will. It wouldn't matter who was under the bag, be it male or female, black, white or yellow, that's purely immaterial...it's just that they are walking the streets covered in a bag. It ain't fucking normal and no one will convince me otherwise. Then of course being 2018, we get into those depressing arguments about 'what's normal' and other assorted nonsense. It's a complete waste of time on people like me though, because they are walking the streets covered in bags...that's the bottom line and no defence can ever be made that will change my opinion.

Anti-Semitism? I have rarely heard anything on the news that bores me so much! I only have to hear the words and I reach for the remote.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8435
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 423 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby fairydandy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... move-niqab

A report about a driver telling a woman to show her face. Somehow I find it funny that they have obscured his face on the report! :P

Ok, he's simple, but would the same woman defending her have done so if it was a man in a balaclava trying to get on the bus? No really...come on, her argument is flawed! ;)
Last edited by fairydandy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8435
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 423 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Walk around the Middle East for a few hours and you’ll understand why clothes that completely cover you whilst being quite airy caught on. I imagine if you were walking around a medieval Muslim town and saw a man with his arms, legs and metastatic melanomas on full display, you’d think he’s far from normal!
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10908
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:52 pm

fairydandy wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-bristol-45150369/bristol-bus-firm-sorry-after-driver-told-woman-to-remove-niqab

A report about a driver telling a woman to show her face. Somehow I find it funny that they have obscured his face on the report! :P

Ok, he's simple, but would the same woman defending her have done so if it was a man in a balaclava trying to get on the bus? No really...come on, her argument is flawed! ;)


I find it amusing that people think they can recognise terrorists from their faces! Do they think they all look like Osama bin Laden or some sort of Bond villain? If I was a Muslim terrorist, I’d rock up to my target clean shaven wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10908
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby fairydandy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Elessar wrote:Walk around the Middle East for a few hours and you’ll understand why clothes that completely cover you whilst being quite airy caught on. I imagine if you were walking around a medieval Muslim town and saw a man with his arms, legs and metastatic melanomas on full display, you’d think he’s far from normal!


I understand how the garment could have come about. 'Medieval Muslim town', that's the key part for me though. ;-)

Oh, and as for JLP harping on earlier about 'people can wear what they like and it's none of his business'...well, that's not entirely true, I don't think, 'cos he would surely go into one if they wore a St George's cross T shirt...they would immediately be branded!
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8435
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 423 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Sole Survivor » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Kes wrote:I can see reasons why they "might" want to wear them.

It turns courting into a bit of a "lucky dip", so at least the ugly ones can get a fair crack at the bat. If they were being REALLY fair, all the Muslim blokes would be in body bags too. Saying that, the Israelis seem to be trying to help make that a reality.

As an aside: Makes you wonder what an Islamic wank mag might look like too! Something like a post office mailbox catalogue perhaps?

JOE KING.


:lol: :lol: *

*Disclaimer- this is me showing that I have a sense-of-humour. Anyone who chooses to interpret this in any other way should look up the alternative term, 'sense of perspective', and f*cking get one.
Amor Vincit Omnia
Image
 
Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Guitars from outta space!

      
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm
Location: The Silent Nation
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Elessar wrote:You have absolutely no interest whatsoever in entertaining the possibility that some women want to behave in a way that does not fit your view of normal behaviour. You don’t have to like it or agree with it or support it, you just have to accept it. But you can’t even do that.


I don't need to be teached morals, thank you very much.

burqa's can't be allowed, it's really that simple. that rule is not negotionable, it can't be disputed. people who are in any way in favor of burqa's are suspect.

burqa's humiliate and discriminate women, that is a fact. look up sharia law on burqa's, and you have your proof.
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I know what's right and what's wrong

      
 
Posts: 2657
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:28 pm

You walk round somewhere like Windsor or Brighton, you'll see the occasional woman walking round in a burkha.

A couple of years back, I happened to drive down the High Street in Sparkhill, Birmingham, and I kid you not, it was a mile and a half of busy shopping road, where I saw the occasional woman NOT wearing one. Racial integration turned on it's head. Seriously, you'll see a more mixed bag in Islamabad, or Mumbai, than I saw there.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.
 
Kes
Moderator
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 14825
Images: 747
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am
Location: London, England
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:30 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:You have absolutely no interest whatsoever in entertaining the possibility that some women want to behave in a way that does not fit your view of normal behaviour. You don’t have to like it or agree with it or support it, you just have to accept it. But you can’t even do that.


I don't need to be teached morals, thank you very much.

burqa's can't be allowed, it's really that simple. that rule is not negotionable, it can't be disputed. people who are in any way in favor of burqa's are suspect.

burqa's humiliate and discriminate women, that is a fact. look up sharia law on burqa's, and you have your proof.


It clearly is negotiable, because they are in fact allowed in the UK.

Sharia law involves the oppressive use of burkhas. That does not mean burkhas are oppressive.

Do you think that whips should be banned because of the way they are used in Sharia law?

Should thiopentone be banned because the Americans use it for the death penalty?

Should trains be banned because the Nazis uses them to transport Jews to concentration camps?

Should Stella be banned because from time to time a man has 9 pints of it and batters his wife?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10908
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby action » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 pm

not negotionable

I'm right, you're wrong. think about how wrong you are, and keep working on yourself (like we all do) to become a little better every time

/thread
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I know what's right and what's wrong

      
 
Posts: 2657
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 187 times
Been thanked: 204 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests