The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby Elessar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 am

fairydandy wrote:
Elessar wrote:Well I originally said that I don't think it was intentionally racist, and I'm still on the fence there.

But this just makes me return to an earlier point that I made. So what if it is racist? As long as the same humour is used against everyone, what's the problem? We are all different, we can all be stereotyped and that's a rich picking ground for humour. It seems that we now look for racism and then go into reverse trying to prove it.

Again, I think people are becoming dull, we're slowly becoming automatoms, scared to speak, scared to laugh about each other, scared to offend. Again, it might be generational, but to me, it all seems to be completely over the top. :?

Because racism, particularly against black people, has been a big problem in America for decades - indeed, the country has been shaped by racial tensions - and Serena Williams is a role model for black people and women alike. People are understandably quite touchy about the way she is portrayed, especially when it evokes memories of Jim Crow/Birth of a Nation era stereotypes.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 am

phpBB [video]

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby bigV » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:56 pm

phpBB [video]

It's a week-old already, but since no one has mentioned it, I thought I should. What do we make of this?

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Given some of other work I've seen by the cartoonist, and the whole thing of how the Haitian/Japanese opponent was turned into a blonde white girl.....I'm thinking that makes it look pretty damn racist.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:16 pm

why do we need to be able to make fun of racial features? serious question: what part of laughing with big lips / big butts / yellow skin / black skin is funny?

at school I couldn't stand it when people made fun of my appearance, I still have trauma because of it. it's bullying. "look at her big butt, hahaha".

because really, that is what it's all about. laughing with people, with physical features the victims have no say on, whatsoever. they can't help being black or whatever. It's not like laughing with a funny hat or funny shoes. it's no big deal: you buy other shoes and it's over. but they laugh with your appearance? that's just evil. no, people don't and shouldnt have the right to make fun of it. it hurts people, and you who are in favor of it, fucking well know it.

it so happens to be called "racism" but that's just a label. what you're really doing is upsetting people, and I see no excuse to do so
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I know what's right and what's wrong

Postby Elessar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:28 pm

action wrote:why do we need to be able to make fun of racial features? serious question: what part of laughing with big lips / big butts / yellow skin / black skin is funny?

at school I couldn't stand it when people made fun of my appearance, I still have trauma because of it. it's bullying. "look at her big butt, hahaha".

because really, that is what it's all about. laughing with people, with physical features the victims have no say on, whatsoever. they can't help being black or whatever. It's not like laughing with a funny hat or funny shoes. it's no big deal: you buy other shoes and it's over. but they laugh with your appearance? that's just evil. no, people don't and shouldnt have the right to make fun of it. it hurts people, and you who are in favor of it, fucking well know it.

it so happens to be called "racism" but that's just a label. what you're really doing is upsetting people, and I see no excuse to do so

Yup. And if I wanted to attack Margaret Thatcher, I’d go after her horrible politics rather than her physical appearance.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Which party is the anti-Semitic one again?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 34401.html

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby JLP » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:45 pm

A really interesting piece on current issues in the USA.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/basketball/45528345
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby fairydandy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:54 pm

action wrote:why do we need to be able to make fun of racial features? serious question: what part of laughing with big lips / big butts / yellow skin / black skin is funny?

Who's laughing at her appearance? You're so wrong about this. Heaven knows action, if they made fun of your appearance, as handsome as you are, I hate to tell you about my life.

You're all getting too precious and too righteous over it.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:13 pm

I don't find this funny, nor do I feel offended, but I instantly knew who it was. It's what cartoonists do. Are we to suck all of the remaining life out of just about everything in the name of 'correctness' or are we going to accept that caricatures of people are quite representative of how they look?

https://www.toonpool.com/cartoons/Fredd ... ury_142522

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:17 am

fairydandy wrote:Who's laughing at her appearance? You're so wrong about this.

it is my impression the cartoon is made to make fun of her appearance :?

my motto is, don't do unto others what you wouldn't take yourself
I see you standing there. You think you so cool. Why don't you just..... fuck off!

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:09 pm

This is now a terrible song!!!

phpBB [video]
Image---Image

Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings

Hindsight 9/11 Superman/Hero

Postby action » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:43 pm

Broooklyn wrote:This is now a terrible song!!!

phpBB [video]

these puppets come straight from the darkest pits of hell

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Fizzle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Regarding the Serena cartoon; Yes, caricatures do exaggerate any given persons natural features, but before one pulls out the 'if it were a caricature of a white person, this wouldn't be a racism issue' card, at least consider the fact that the exaggeration of black peoples features have a LONG history of racist intention here in the USA. I will not judge Serena, or any black person for being upset about that. White actors wearing 'blackface' as well as animated cartoon characters were often portraying black people in an exaggerated, stereotypical, negative way in a time so recent that my grandmother can remember it. In fact, she was fired from a job in pre-civil rights era Georgia for being 'too polite' to her black coworkers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can see how that cartoon could strike a nerve with African Americans whose parents and grandparents lived in a time when their features and lifestyle were often portrayed and imitated with bad intention, which was not that long ago, and still happens to this day.

Fizzle
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:27 am

Fizzle wrote:Regarding the Serena cartoon; Yes, caricatures do exaggerate any given persons natural features, but before one pulls out the 'if it were a caricature of a white person, this wouldn't be a racism issue' card, at least consider the fact that the exaggeration of black peoples features have a LONG history of racist intention here in the USA. I will not judge Serena, or any black person for being upset about that. White actors wearing 'blackface' as well as animated cartoon characters were often portraying black people in an exaggerated, stereotypical, negative way in a time so recent that my grandmother can remember it. In fact, she was fired from a job in pre-civil rights era Georgia for being 'too polite' to her black coworkers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I can see how that cartoon could strike a nerve with African Americans whose parents and grandparents lived in a time when their features and lifestyle were often portrayed and imitated with bad intention, which was not that long ago, and still happens to this day.

So now we have a situation where we can draw caricatures of white people, but if black people are present, then we must not? Or are we no longer to draw caricatures at all?

Racism used to mean something once, now it apparently means everything. :?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World