The EU Referendum

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Should we leave the EU?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 18

Re: The EU Referendum

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:19 pm

fairydandy wrote:
You can ignore the losing side, absolutely you can, that's what a referendum or any vote does. The rules were clear at the outset. You lost, give it up. :)

Actually they weren’t. It was an advisory poll. If you’re asking the public to advise, it’s important to know that the public has a 52/48 split (as opposed to, say, 70/30 - although even then it’s important to acknowledge what 30% think). It’s like Ask The Audience in Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. You don’t actually have to go with the majority answer, and it there’s a 52/48 split you certainly won’t be filled with confidence (they’ve already used the 50:50 lifeline).
Last edited by Elessar on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elessar

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:22 pm

WeeMann wrote:
Can you not see how a metaphor works? Give it a try, try to convince me that ploughing on regardless could possibly be the right way forward.

Of course not. I voted to leave, so I am well thick innit Bruv.

:roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Spook2 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Elessar wrote:
Spook2 wrote:
I await a cut and paste from some 19 century genius that will put me back in my Manchester / racist place

Lol, do you think Epictetus was from the 19th century?

at last a LOL from you

you do have humour / understand sarcasm

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:05 am

Spook I think you voted leave. If so do you think we should leave with a no deal which could result in lower wages, higher unemployment etc?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Spook2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 am

JLP wrote:Spook I think you voted leave. If so do you think we should leave with a no deal which could result in lower wages, higher unemployment etc?

I did vote leave

your question says ' could result' and not would result

its a total unknown to be fair

I believe both the EU and remainers (MP) are doing their best to stop it happening, and will eventually win.

What tells you everything about politics is a remainer is in power trying to get Brexit through, whilst the opposition leader who is definitely on the side of leave is doing his best to cause chaos, bring the government down, but in doing so keeps us in the EU - weird

I also believe that the way the EU has treated us is disgraceful

in any negotiations the final value (£39B) is not agreed upon until you know what you are getting. But the EU insisted we do this first. that's not negotiating, that's bullying
I work in the construction industry (brexit = cheap labour make no difference to me as cheap labour doesn't exist in my world - Pay 16 yr old apprentices £6/hr, not recommended £3 or so per hour - I believe in you get what you pay for - anyway) I would never agree a price for a job until I knew exactly what I was doing / getting. This is the opposite of what the EU did to us.
From the moment the price was agreed, it was always going to end in tears

earlier someone used an example of bidding for a house, finding its falling down but carrying on buying it. at first it appears stupid to do so, but if the house is a small bungalow on a large plot, the condition of the existing house might not matter as you was going to knock it down and start again, thus short term apparent financial loss, long term financial gain.

this might be what happens to Britain if Brexit ever happens. it could happen

Lower wages?
are wages / costs for anything not based on supply and demand ?
due to Brexit, no import of cheap labour.
existing labour must be used
lack of labour
labour can therefore demand higher pay
higher wages ?

this might be what happens to Britain if Brexit ever happens. it could happen

Every argument to Brexit has two very clever people on TV - both professors of this and that, both arguing the complete opposite
so if top brains cant agree, how the hell do we simple subjects of the crown know anything

JLP
in summary
not got a clue
but think the EU has taken the piss out of us.
backstop is just a way of stopping the deal, solutions could easily be found if so desired

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby Sole Survivor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 am

phpBB [video]

A little humour to get things started...

...now for some , imho, reasonably argued salient points.

phpBB [video]

..as previously, popcorn will be available at the concessions stand.
Give me... chocolate!
"We are living in an era of 'woke' capitalism, in which companies pretend to care about social justice in order to sell products to people who pretend to hate capitalism."

Sole Survivor
Spread Your Wings

Only the Fox God knows...

Postby bigV » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:32 am

JLP wrote:Spook I think you voted leave. If so do you think we should leave with a no deal which could result in lower wages, higher unemployment etc?

Why are you feeding the troll?

Virtually every economist who knows what they're talking about is saying that Brexit would have a negative effect on the British and by extension on the European economy, and a no-deal Brexit would be a disaster... But sure, let's see what the social media people have to say on the matter. That's what got your country into this mess in the first place.

Take back control? Spinning out of control more like.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby bigV » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am

Sole Survivor wrote:
phpBB [video]

39 billion pounds sounds like an awful lot of money to the average person, but when you compare it to 772 billion pounds, which is the annual budget of the UK, or 1,8 trillion pounds, which is the UK's foreign debt, suddenly doesn't seem like much.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Spook2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:43 am

bigV wrote:

Virtually every economist who knows what they're talking about is saying that Brexit would have a negative effect on the British and by extension on the European economy, and a no-deal Brexit would be a disaster... But sure, let's see what the social media people have to say on the matter. That's what got your country into this mess in the first place.

V.

TROLL ?

How do you come up with that

I disagree with you / JLP / Wee / El, so I am a troll

get real

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby Spook2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:54 am

bigV wrote:
Sole Survivor wrote:
phpBB [video]

39 billion pounds sounds like an awful lot of money to the average person, but when you compare it to 772 billion pounds, which is the annual budget of the UK, or 1,8 trillion pounds, which is the UK's foreign debt, suddenly doesn't seem like much.

V.

don't worry

Us Brits understand the value of money

it took us over 40 years to pay our debt off to America for costs incurred in fighting the German 1939-45.

if we had rolled over in six weeks, then we would have had no debt.

Thus the need for NATO, but guess what, within NATO only 5 members pay the correct share
USA
Greece - economic disaster country - pays its way
Estonia
Poland
oh yes Britain

so all these countries in the EU who are doing so good and battering us - fance spain Portugal Ireland Germany Belgium, holland etc etc - non of them are paying their share

so us Brits understand the value of an agreement, thus money.

as I said before I don't know if Brexit is good or bad, but I don't need to be hounded about my views.

so what country are you from
is it in NATO - does it pay its share
How much does your country contribute to EU - is it a giver or taker ?

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby Spook2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:57 am

bigV wrote:

V.

you say
virtually every economist who knows what they are talking about ........

so I presume you are inferring that all economists who don't agree with you DONT know what they are talking about

WOW
that's some statement

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:19 am

Spook2 wrote:so what country are you from

You looked at my profile and you couldn't figure out what country I'm from? Since you didn't bother to write that as a question, I won't answer. Instead I'll let you think about it. And when you finally figure it out, you can also figure out if my country is a member of NATO and/or the EU, and since when.

For the record, every EU member-state pays 0,7% of its Gross National Income to the EU. And that's fair. If your annual income tax was a fixed amount of say 5000 pounds, to you and other people it would be very difficult to pay, but that amount is pocket change to a millionaire like Brian May, for example. But yes, we pay our fair share. Consequently, the market in my country is open to British companies (believe it or not, I had a British beer last night), our seaside and ski resorts are open to British nationals, not to mention the thousands of British expats who have made my country their home.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Spook2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am

bigV wrote:
Spook2 wrote:so what country are you from

You looked at my profile and you couldn't figure out what country I'm from? Since you didn't bother to write that as a question, I won't answer. Instead I'll let you think about it. And when you finally figure it out, you can also figure out if my country is a member of NATO and/or the EU, and since when.

For the record, every EU member-state pays 0,7% of its Gross National Income to the EU. And that's fair. If your annual income tax was a fixed amount of say 5000 pounds, to you and other people it would be very difficult to pay, but that amount is pocket change to a millionaire like Brian May, for example. But yes, we pay our fair share. Consequently, the market in my country is open to British companies (believe it or not, I had a British beer last night), our seaside and ski resorts are open to British nationals, not to mention the thousands of British expats who have made my country their home.

V.

I did ask the question where are you from
missed that boring day in infants when we did flags of Europe
thought it was something like Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania. looked it up - Bulgaria
went there on my hols in 1990 - very cheap

I asked are you a contributor or receiver - you answered 0.7% - that was not the question

£5k tax - I wish

anyway, just had my breakie, so please don't feed me anymore

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby bigV » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 am

Spook2 wrote:you say
virtually every economist who knows what they are talking about ........

so I presume you are inferring that all economists who don't agree with you DONT know what they are talking about

WOW
that's some statement

No, I mean economists with some authority, like the IMF or the Bank of England, which suggested that a no-deal Brexit would be "catastrophic".

https://www.ft.com/content/f3f00f8e-1d7 ... e4dbd3580d

According to one survey, 81% of economists say that any form of Brexit would have a negative effect on the global economy, not just UK's. Don't believe me? Maybe you'd believe these guys:

https://economistsforremain.org/

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby bigV » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:38 am

Spook2 wrote:missed that boring day in infants when we did flags of Europe

That is why you're a troll.

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now