The New News Thread.

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The New News Thread.

Postby icy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 am

Elessar wrote:This is just utterly depressing. New Zealand is a place that people think of as a safe haven - many American billionaires have ‘bolt holes’ in Otago that they plan to fly to in the event of a nuclear war or similar catastrophe. The idea of a terrorist attack there is unthinkable. Crisis planning is all about earthquakes and tsunamis, not mass shootings.

From this loser’s manifesto, he targeted New Zealand BECAUSE of its isolation, because in his warped mind the fact that there are Muslims in New Zealand shows that nowhere in the world is ‘safe’.

Anyone who spouts the kind of stuff that this man spouted in his manifesto - and I have seen similar language on this board many times - you are part of this problem. I’m not pointing fingers or naming names. It’s easy to get swept up by a movement without stopping to think. Now - PLEASE stop and think.

I'm often shocked by mass shootings, but even more so where this one took place. It's a nightmare for many reasons. I couldn't read through the manifesto, it literally made me cry and my stomach turn.
I truly hope the people you know are safe. I know you have posted about being in NZ before, so you were one of the first people I thought about. I didn't mean to seem like I was trying above, and apologies if I came across that way. This is affecting so many people.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:17 am

I’m flying to Chch in an hour’s time! It’s like 7/7/05 all over again...

Elessar

Postby icy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:22 am

Elessar wrote:I’m flying to Chch in an hour’s time! It’s like 7/7/05 all over again...

Spoiler! :
take care.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 am

40 dead, 20 injured.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47578798

Wellington Hospital is sending equipment to Christchurch to help.

Elessar

Postby Spook2 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:12 am

Elessar wrote:Mass shootings at two separate mosques in Christchurch.

horrible horrible bastards

total nutters

Spook2
Spread Your Wings

Postby Broooklyn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Fucking conspiracy theorists are, of course, in full swing. Here is a clip of an American watching Fox News of course, with his view on this. These people piss me off to no end.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=950PX_1552635570

Broooklyn
We Will Rock You

Postby action » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:58 pm

it is not with a feeling of "told you so", that today, I am joined in my crusade against terrorists by everyone on the board.

we are one, in our strong dissaproval and feelings of horror against these cruel acts.

I know many people are against it, but I think maybe this is the opportunity to put up for debate, that the death penalty should be reinstated for terorists and their sympathisers.

terrorism can not be allowed in our democratic, free society. anyone who plots terrorist attacks should, at the least, be jailed for life. death penalty for those who actually commit terrorist attacks. their sympathisers? jailed on the grounds of being a serious threat to the safety and lives of our brothers and sisters
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 pm

action wrote:it is not with a feeling of "told you so", that today, I am joined in my crusade against terrorists by everyone on the board.

we are one, in our strong dissaproval and feelings of horror against these cruel acts.

I know many people are against it, but I think maybe this is the opportunity to put up for debate, that the death penalty should be reinstated for terorists and their sympathisers.

terrorism can not be allowed in our democratic, free society. anyone who plots terrorist attacks should, at the least, be jailed for life. death penalty for those who actually commit terrorist attacks. their sympathisers? jailed on the grounds of being a serious threat to the safety and lives of our brothers and sisters

They have a LOT of supporters. The websites that the footage was posted on were full of messages or support.

These losers are the extreme end of a movement that starts with “there’s too many immigrants thing to impose their way of life on us”. These guys did what they did because they believed, perhaps correctly, that they shared their views with thousands of people.

Those people need to do some soul-searching today.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:38 pm

‘The Great Replacement’, the subject of the terrorist’s manifesto, is not some extreme ideology hidden in the dark recesses of the web. It is promoted by prominent figures, some of whom have been cited on QueenOnline.

Again, if that has ever been you, PLEASE stop, think and re-consider your path. I’m sick of theoretical moral discussions. People are dying because of this ideology.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:42 pm

For fuck’s sake people, LOOK at what’s happening. You can’t bury your head in the sand and say this isn’t a problem.

Elessar

Postby JLP » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:26 pm

Elessar wrote:For fuck’s sake people, LOOK at what’s happening. You can’t bury your head in the sand and say this isn’t a problem.

I feel sick at the loss of life. Just like I did on 9/11 7/7 and every other atrocity of the like. Anyone with a sense of decency on here who posts about the fuckers who committed those atrocities, why are you not doing the same today?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:26 am

Peter Jackson just posted this:

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/christc ... XoeRlspKnM

I must emphasise that New Zealand is a large country with a small population, and only 3 large cities. Most inter-hospital transfers are done by air; it’s not like the UK.

Christchurch ICU is full and they’re trying to send stable patients from before the attack to the various ICUs across the country - mostly by air. This will put huge pressure on the entire country. 48 injuries, many of which will be critical, is a HUGE burden on a country with a population of around 4.7 million.

In other words, please help if you can.

Elessar

Postby icy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:09 am

Elessar wrote:Peter Jackson just posted this:

https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/christc ... XoeRlspKnM

I must emphasise that New Zealand is a large country with a small population, and only 3 large cities. Most inter-hospital transfers are done by air; it’s not like the UK.

Christchurch ICU is full and they’re trying to send stable patients from before the attack to the various ICUs across the country - mostly by air. This will put huge pressure on the entire country. 48 injuries, many of which will be critical, is a HUGE burden on a country with a population of around 4.7 million.

In other words, please help if you can.

I donated via a friend, my money under her name. It wasn't much, but I hope it will help. I will donate more when I can.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am

Just realised my post was a bit ambiguous. Peter Jackson posted the link; the words after that were mine.

Sounds like ChCh Hospital was super busy last night:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zea ... ant=tb_v_1

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:31 am

Elessar

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World