I've had it up to here with religion!

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby bigV » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Not to mention the moral high ground :)

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby action » Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:03 pm

fairydandy wrote:
action wrote:dear arrogant, unentitled bastards who ridicule people who believe in god:

fuck you.

you have not the right to look down upon us, question our intelligence or our sanity, just because you are an ignorant, judgmental christianophobe.

that is all.


Well, we do have the right actually. :P


kiss my ring
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby bigV » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:19 pm

Go on. Prove my point for me.

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby action » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:50 pm

bigV wrote:Go on. Prove my point for me.

V.


contrary to your prejudiced beliefs, I have no interest whatsoever to show my moral high ground. If anyone has shown moral highground, one does not have to look further than this stupid thread.

next time someone calls someone who beliefs in god, a lunatic, they might reconsider who has the fucking moral high ground.
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Elessar » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:25 pm

action wrote:
bigV wrote:Go on. Prove my point for me.

V.


contrary to your prejudiced beliefs, I have no interest whatsoever to show my moral high ground. If anyone has shown moral highground, one does not have to look further than this stupid thread.

next time someone calls someone who beliefs in god, a lunatic, they might reconsider who has the fucking moral high ground.


Atheists only believe in one fewer god than Christians. There are hundreds of gods that Christians deny the existence of, with threats of eternal hell to anyone who disagrees.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby bigV » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:07 pm

Yeah, but my god is bigger than yours. That's why the Middle East will be a mess for the next 1000 years.

Gimme a break!

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2597
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby action » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:22 am

Elessar wrote:There are hundreds of gods that Christians deny the existence of, with threats of eternal hell to anyone who disagrees.


it's not the middle ages anymore. hell was used in the middle ages to contain the population and keep them well behaved

also, many scientists believe in a creator, and believe even more with every new scientific discovery. they won't tell anyone they'd go to hell. Their (and mine) belief in god, is stripped of all the hoo-haa and mumbo jumbo, and much more grounded in actual science.
Last edited by action on Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby action » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:23 am

bigV wrote:Yeah, but my god is bigger than yours. That's why the Middle East will be a mess for the next 1000 years.

Gimme a break!

V.


yeah, you guys are better. you want peace (with violence, if necessary)
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby YAFF » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Elessar wrote:
action wrote:
bigV wrote:Go on. Prove my point for me.

V.


contrary to your prejudiced beliefs, I have no interest whatsoever to show my moral high ground. If anyone has shown moral highground, one does not have to look further than this stupid thread.

next time someone calls someone who beliefs in god, a lunatic, they might reconsider who has the fucking moral high ground.


Atheists only believe in one fewer god than Christians. There are hundreds of gods that Christians deny the existence of, with threats of eternal hell to anyone who disagrees.


Not all Christians believe in an "eternal hell" and that number has grown steadily over the years. I never did. The belief in no god is much more significant than the belief in only one out of countless hypothetical gods. Your comment amounts to not much more than a strawman. I'm no longer religious but I still believe it is far more probable a god exists based on the scientific fact that the universe and time had a beginning,

action for the win with the comment "next time someone calls someone who beliefs (typo I'm sure) in god, a lunatic, they might reconsider who has the fucking moral high ground". The irony is that atheists are actually more out to sea than god-believers since they basically believe out of nothing came something, which contradicts everything we know about physics (even a quantum vacuum is not actually "nothing" for example)
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:00 pm

action wrote:dear arrogant, unentitled bastards who ridicule people who believe in god:

fuck you.

you have not the right to look down upon us, question our intelligence or our sanity, just because you are an ignorant, judgmental christianophobe.

that is all.


I don't ridicule people who believe in a god just because they believe in a god. If I did that, I'd be ridiculing some of my family, some of my best friends. Now...I might ridicule some Christians who hold beliefs that I find to be, well, ridiculous. Like for instance, young-earth creationists, or people who use their religion to justify homophobic or sexist attitudes. But that's not the same thing as ridiculing them for their theism itself.
 
The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

      
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:21 pm

You sound a little like so many "fundies" who attempt to ridicule or "refute" atheism, YAFF.

Atheism is the lack of belief in any god, not necessarily "the belief in no god." Call me pedantic, but I think that's a significant distinction. I don't believe in a god because I haven't seen any evidence that would convince me that any one of the versions of God believed in by people exists.

You said you believe in a god because the universe began and someone or something created us, basically? OK, fine...but can you say anything about who or what that god is? If not...how are we really any different?
 
The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

      
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby YAFF » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:01 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:You sound a little like so many "fundies" who attempt to ridicule or "refute" atheism, YAFF.


Let's chalk that up to a very shallow understanding of my comments on your part then. Saying "fundie" is dangerously close to using an Ad Hominem

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Atheism is the lack of belief in any god, not necessarily "the belief in no god."


Atheists in practice all too often say exactly that but I know the definition. 6 times out of 10 (or greater) you'll hear an atheist say "there is no god", which is a claim to knowledge, which can righteously be challenged. Sometimes atheists properly say "I don't believe in god", which demands no proof

The__KingOfRhye wrote:Call me pedantic, but I think that's a significant distinction. I don't believe in a god because I haven't seen any evidence that would convince me that any one of the versions of God believed in by people exists.


And I have. Same evidence exists. Processed quite differently.

The__KingOfRhye wrote:You said you believe in a god because the universe began and someone or something created us, basically? OK, fine...but can you say anything about who or what that god is? If not...how are we really any different?


Where did I say anything about "something created us"? I "basically" said that I think the existence of god is more probable being that the universe and time had a beginning.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes
 
YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2292
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:26 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 238 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby fairydandy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:00 pm

YAFF wrote:
Atheists in practice all too often say exactly that but I know the definition. 6 times out of 10 (or greater) you'll hear an atheist say "there is no god", which is a claim to knowledge, which can righteously be challenged. Sometimes atheists properly say "I don't believe in god", which demands no proof.


So, surely that means if a person says 'there is a god', it's ok for us to ask of proof of that too?
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8702
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 438 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:32 pm

Well, one thing, YAFF: There's two ways one could mean the statement "there is no god." They could mean "I claim to know absolutely no sort of thing that could be called a god exists." Or they could mean "there is no God" (with a capital instead of a lowercase g) meaning "God as described by such-and-such religion does not exist."

The first one, I think is kind of a ridiculous argument to make, partly because there's so many different ideas from people as to just what "god" means.

The second one, at least that's an argument against a more well-defined claim. And, in my experience anyway, that's what atheists usually mean.

And, OK, I guess I didn't understand what you meant by saying you believe in a god (or at least think it's more likely than not) because the universe had a beginning. I thought you meant that since it had a beginning, a god had to have created it. If that wasn't it, what do you mean then?
 
The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

      
 
Posts: 1711
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 259 times
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby action » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:20 pm

fairydandy wrote:
YAFF wrote:
Atheists in practice all too often say exactly that but I know the definition. 6 times out of 10 (or greater) you'll hear an atheist say "there is no god", which is a claim to knowledge, which can righteously be challenged. Sometimes atheists properly say "I don't believe in god", which demands no proof.


So, surely that means if a person says 'there is a god', it's ok for us to ask of proof of that too?


only if the person saying it wants to claim a scientific fact.

but most of us don't. We just express our belief. why would it be OK to ask proof for it? What's your business with what WE believe?

if you say "I like chocolate", do I ask you to explain yourself?

you're just bugging us with your demand for proof, for no other reason than to be a dick, and you bloody well know it.
Why stand on a silent platform?
 
action
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2948
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 197 times
Been thanked: 219 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron