I've had it up to here with religion!

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:35 pm

The thing is, the burden of proof, to those who care about it, lies on the one making the claim. If you say "X exists," it ain't up to me to prove it doesn't.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby action » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:The thing is, the burden of proof, to those who care about it, lies on the one making the claim. If you say "X exists," it ain't up to me to prove it doesn't.

who said there is a burden of proof? that's new to me. look at you: telling me there is a burden of proof. the fuck outta here! I've got no burdens, on nothing. nothing.

I'm expressing my beliefs, I don't need to prove a fucking thing.

the only proof showing here, is of your un-entitled arrogance and phobia towards believers
Why stand on a silent platform?

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby action » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:00 pm

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:03 pm

Relax, action....

I'm not saying I'm going to go around demanding proof of the existence of God left and right, to you and everyone else. I'm just saying, if we were to actually have some sort of debate or argument about it, you'd be the one making the claim, so therefore it would be you who would have to prove it to me. I've seen some people (not saying you or anyone else here!) who will say something to me like "well, you can't disprove God!" Which just makes me wanna say "so freaking what? I can't disprove the existence of a small teapot in orbit between Earth and Mars either."

Unless we're actually trying to convince the other of our position, I don't care what you believe. How does that Thomas Jefferson quote go...it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:45 pm

I thought us "SJWs" were supposed to be the touchy ones...

:P

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:51 pm

action wrote:
only if the person saying it wants to claim a scientific fact.

but most of us don't. We just express our belief. why would it be OK to ask proof for it? What's your business with what WE believe?

if you say "I like chocolate", do I ask you to explain yourself?

you're just bugging us with your demand for proof, for no other reason than to be a dick, and you bloody well know it.

Believe what you like action. I honestly couldn't care less. End of discussion. :)

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:45 pm

Private belief is fine. It’s when people start sending “thoughts and prayers” to victims of mass shootings that it becomes offensive.

Elessar

Postby action » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:30 am

Elessar wrote:Private belief is fine. It’s when people start sending “thoughts and prayers” to victims of mass shootings that it becomes offensive.

are you telling me, we've just had 102 pages of discussion, because people find it offensive when they are sending "thoughts and prayers" to victims of cruelties?

almost makes me relieved, when people are accusing me of having the moral high ground

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Elessar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:29 pm

action wrote:
Elessar wrote:Private belief is fine. It’s when people start sending “thoughts and prayers” to victims of mass shootings that it becomes offensive.

are you telling me, we've just had 102 pages of discussion, because people find it offensive when they are sending "thoughts and prayers" to victims of cruelties?

almost makes me relieved, when people are accusing me of having the moral high ground

Nah, it’s because this is a message board.

Elessar

Postby YAFF » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:30 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:The thing is, the burden of proof, to those who care about it, lies on the one making the claim. If you say "X exists," it ain't up to me to prove it doesn't.

True. However, if you say "X doesn't exist" you are making a claim to knowledge. You should at least be required to provide one example that makes "X doesn't exist" reasonable. If only to be fair.
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby YAFF » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm

action wrote:

If you support Trump no one in their right mind will accuse you of having ANY moral ground let alone "high".
"I don't dislike Freddie and have said he's hands down the best singer I've ever heard." - magicshoes

YAFF
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:55 am

YAFF wrote:

True. However, if you say "X doesn't exist" you are making a claim to knowledge. You should at least be required to provide one example that makes "X doesn't exist" reasonable. If only to be fair.

Yeah, I see what you're saying there. But, I dunno....if I feel there is no evidence for X, then while I might not go out and SAY "there is no X," I'll feel perfectly fine with going about my personal business AS IF there is no X. (I never did like "Pascal's Wager" for one thing) I guess that's just nothing but my own attitude.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:53 am

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
YAFF wrote:

Yeah, I see what you're saying there. But, I dunno....if I feel there is no evidence for X, then while I might not go out and SAY "there is no X," I'll feel perfectly fine with going about my personal business AS IF there is no X. (I never did like "Pascal's Wager" for one thing) I guess that's just nothing but my own attitude.

I agree with both of you.

I certainly shouldn’t storm into a church and start proclaiming that there is no god and that they’re all idiots, unless I can prove it.

However, if someone approaches me in the street and starts talking about god, I’ll tell him to piss off and come back when he’s got proof.

The danger is when politicians start making decisions based on their personal religious beliefs. The burden of proof should be with them to prove there is a god (which they can’t do), because they’re making decisions that affect us all.

Elessar

Postby action » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:28 am

YAFF wrote:
action wrote:

If you support Trump no one in their right mind will accuse you of having ANY moral ground let alone "high".

thanks Yaff. you're one of the good ones 8)

action
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 am

Elessar wrote:I agree with both of you.

I certainly shouldn’t storm into a church and start proclaiming that there is no god and that they’re all idiots, unless I can prove it.

However, if someone approaches me in the street and starts talking about god, I’ll tell him to piss off and come back when he’s got proof.

The danger is when politicians start making decisions based on their personal religious beliefs. The burden of proof should be with them to prove there is a god (which they can’t do), because they’re making decisions that affect us all.

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World