I've had it up to here with religion!

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Delilah » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:32 am

I'm kinda surprised that I missed that last one, now that I think about it. It's the guy who wrote such gems as this:

http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/history/spurgeon/web/edwards.sinners.html
3. They are already under a sentence of condemnation to hell. They do not only justly deserve to be cast down thither, but the sentence of the law of God, that eternal and immutable rule of righteousness that God has fixed between him and mankind, is gone out against them, and stands against them; so that they are bound over already to hell. "He that believeth not is condemned already" (John 3:18). So that every unconverted man properly belongs to hell; that is his place; from thence he is. "Ye are from beneath" (John 8:23). And thither he is bound; it is the place that justice, and God's word, and the sentence of his unchangeable law assign to him.

4. They are now the objects of that very same anger and wrath of God, that is expressed in the torments of hell. And the reason why they do not go down to hell at each moment, is not because God, in whose power they are, is not then very angry with them; as he is with many miserable creatures now tormented in hell, who there feel and bear the fierceness of his wrath. Yea, God is a great deal more angry with great numbers that are now on earth: yea, doubtless, with many that are now in this congregation, who it may be are at ease, than he is with many of those who are now in the flames of hell.

So that it is not because God is unmindful of their wickedness, and does not resent it, that he does not let loose his hand and cut them off. God is not altogether such an one as themselves, though they may imagine him to be so. The wrath of God burns against them, their damnation does not slumber; the pit is prepared, the fire is made ready, the furnace is now hot, ready to receive them; the flames do now rage and glow. The glittering sword is whet, and held over them, and the pit hath opened its mouth under them.

5. The devil stands ready to fall upon them, and seize them as his own, at what moment God shall permit him. They belong to him; he has their souls in his possession, and under his dominion. The Scripture represents them as his goods (Luke 11:12). The devils watch them; they are ever by them at their right hand; they stand waiting for them, like greedy hungry lions that see their prey, and expect to have it, but are for the present kept back. If God should withdraw his hand, by which they are restrained, they would in one moment fly upon their poor souls. The old serpent is gaping for them; hell opens its mouth wide to receive them; and if God should permit it, they would be hastily swallowed up and lost.


Awww, good ole fashioned hellfire and brimstone Protestantism. :inlove: It's good for the kids, you know.
 
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 am
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Dusty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:25 am

I got 14/15. go me. :shock:
 
Dusty
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Loretta » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:17 am

Greywoolfe wrote:I got 14/15. go me. :shock:

I got 10... I fell down on all the US questions, because... well, I'm not there.
 
Loretta
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:46 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:28 am

Also fell through on John Smith, and the two US Supreme court rulings questions, so 12/15.
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.
 
LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 783
Images: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:35 am
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

There's nothing worse than highly intelligent adult human beings who 'believe' without any reason. That almost seems to be a waste of evolution, education, science and progression.

For the 10 millionth time, I do not have a problem with people who want to believe in Micky Mouse, pink teapots, God, Jedward, Santa Claus...believe what ever the hell you want to believe as it's a free world, but keep the nonsense out of our laws and our lives. I don't want laws that ban pink teapots from marrying (based on nothing but trivia)..it's highly offensive.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8808
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 am

14 out of 15 - boom.

I got the one about the guy who remained most obedient to God wrong.

Spoiler! :
Turns out it's Job, not Abraham...so I guess being asked to kill your own son was just considered banter.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby bigV » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:00 pm

Elessar wrote:14 out of 15 - boom.

I got the one about the guy who remained most obedient to God wrong.

Spoiler! :
Turns out it's Job, not Abraham...so I guess being asked to kill your own son was just considered banter.


14 out of 15. Who the heck is Joseph Smith?

Anyway, most of it I got from general knowledge.

V.
 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2627
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Ace » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:58 pm

13 out of 15 and I'm not religious.
 
Ace
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

Tired !!!!!!!!

      
 
Posts: 244
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:44 am
Location: UK
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Ace wrote:13 out of 15 and I'm not religious.


7 out of 15 and most of those were guesses. I never was any good with trivia.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8808
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm

bigV wrote:
Elessar wrote:14 out of 15 - boom.

I got the one about the guy who remained most obedient to God wrong.

Spoiler! :
Turns out it's Job, not Abraham...so I guess being asked to kill your own son was just considered banter.


14 out of 15. Who the heck is Joseph Smith?

Anyway, most of it I got from general knowledge.

V.


Him, Jesus and Elohim will judge all men at the end of time. Didn't you know that?

 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:16 pm

fairydandy wrote:There's nothing worse than highly intelligent adult human beings who 'believe' without any reason.

For the 10 millionth time, I do not have a problem with people who want to believe in Micky Mouse, pink teapots, God, Jedward, Santa Claus...


Right, there's nothing worse, but you have no problem with it. :P This is something we are never going to agree on, fd, assuming that basically neither of us want laws banning sex unless it's church regulation, and so on, we can agree that far, I suggest we call it quits. ;)
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:
fairydandy wrote:There's nothing worse than highly intelligent adult human beings who 'believe' without any reason.

For the 10 millionth time, I do not have a problem with people who want to believe in Micky Mouse, pink teapots, God, Jedward, Santa Claus...


Right, there's nothing worse, but you have no problem with it. :P This is something we are never going to agree on, fd, assuming that basically neither of us want laws banning sex unless it's church regulation, and so on, we can agree that far, I suggest we call it quits. ;)


In my opinion, anyone who believes something that is un-proven, something for which there is no evidence for whatsoever, something that has no basis in scientific fact, zero, nothing, is quite honestly bewildering 'to me'...and yes, it is a shame that intelligent brains aren't able to break away from the childhood brainwashing that has made them think in such a way. So, having made that statement, I do (sadly) accept that you can believe whatever the hell you like. My opinion is that you are a wrong, but it's your right to be wrong. I don't see any contradiction there.

Call what quits Belle? I didn't realise there was anything to quit? I'm right (because I claim nothing and therefore have no argument, other than disputing yours - and again, it's something you claim with no evidence), you are wrong..(because it is you who are making the claims) until that is, you bring some evidence to the table that can then back up what you are claiming. Why is that difficult for you to grasp Belle?

Atheism as a word, as a concept even, actually offends me..why the hell do they give me a label...do we have labels for people who don't believe in Father Christmas? Do we ask those people who don't believe in Father Christmas to prove that he doesn't exist? It's just laughable.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8808
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:21 pm

You keep switching between discussions, are you talking about beliefs or religion? On the topic of religion, our view are not just different, they diametrically oppose, you are 100% against religion and I'm for it, yet have some common ground in the objection to exclusion and state laws, there's literally nothing to argue there, it would be just pure contradiction, hence I think it's not worth it.

If you're talking about beliefs, then I really don't care what your views on that are, those are very much your own. To me the idea that without knowing anything about a person except they believe in something you have some insight into their childhood, is a very arrogant one. The facts are with me there in that you continually make that assumption about me and you're wrong. Why is that, so difficult for you to grasp?

I don't like the term atheism either, but most outspoken atheists seem more than a little bit fond of it.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby Delilah » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:16 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:I don't like the term atheism either, but most outspoken atheists seem more than a little bit fond of it.


Not really. It's such a maligned term that it does me no good to use it anyway. In my case, it's just amuses to me to identify with what I was told as a child was the most evilest thing ever ever, because as evil as those millions of Satanists that we all were surrounded by were, at least they believed in God. Boy, you just wouldn't believe how many Satanists there were in the South when I was growing up. They were just everywhere, under every rock and in every shadow. I never actually met any, but never doubt that they were all over the place slaughtering goats and babies. Nothing on the news about it, but you just had to believe that they were there.

Some of the most "militantly" atheistic people I've met were former fundamentalists. It does make a difference when you've been right in the middle of the craziest forms of religion. It affects one's viewpoint. It is amazing what otherwise sane and rational people will believe.
 
Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 1456
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 am
Location: USA
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby fairydandy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:You keep switching between discussions, are you talking about beliefs or religion? On the topic of religion, our view are not just different, they diametrically oppose, you are 100% against religion and I'm for it, yet have some common ground in the objection to exclusion and state laws, there's literally nothing to argue there, it would be just pure contradiction, hence I think it's not worth it.

If you're talking about beliefs, then I really don't care what your views on that are, those are very much your own. To me the idea that without knowing anything about a person except they believe in something you have some insight into their childhood, is a very arrogant one. The facts are with me there in that you continually make that assumption about me and you're wrong. Why is that, so difficult for you to grasp?

I don't like the term atheism either, but most outspoken atheists seem more than a little bit fond of it.


I am arrogant Belle, very arrogant. I'm also right most of the time...oops, there I go again.

If you believe in God because of an adult decision, that' even more frightening. Genearally speaking it's a taught condition from childhood though. Cure rate is low, but rates are improving.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8808
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 449 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests