I've had it up to here with religion!

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: I've had it up to here with religion!

Postby ice on fire » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:48 am

Hey you, hope you are ok :bigups:

ice on fire

Postby Kes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:59 pm

bigV wrote:
When I go... I don't want churches or priests or a cross at my grave. I think I'd prefer to be cremated and my ashes scattered over a place I love... maybe Africa...

V.

Got any ideas where in Africa exactly? Africa covers 30,300,000 square kilometers, the average human remains when cremated is about 1.8 kg (which with morbid curiosity is approximately half the average birth weight). That roughly equates to a gramme per 16,833.3333 square metres, err I think. That would require a drop from about 85,000 feet up to get a decent spread.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bigV » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm

Kes wrote:
bigV wrote:
When I go... I don't want churches or priests or a cross at my grave. I think I'd prefer to be cremated and my ashes scattered over a place I love... maybe Africa...

V.

Got any ideas where in Africa exactly? Africa covers 30,300,000 square kilometers, the average human remains when cremated is about 1.8 kg (which with morbid curiosity is approximately half the average birth weight). That roughly equates to a gramme per 16,833.3333 square metres, err I think. That would require a drop from about 85,000 feet up to get a decent spread.

Seriously? You want to be flippant about that? :|

V.

bigV
Don't Stop Me Now

Is this the life we really want?

Postby Kes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah, why not? Do you honestly reckon it will bother you that much when it's actually happening, and it's all the P's isn't it? Proper Preparation & Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. If you don't think about the finer details, someone will f*ck it up, and you'll wind up with your ashes all over the Indian Ocean.

Flippancy? It's the f*ckers who are flippant about what puts you in the situation where all of a sudden, dealing with your cremated remains is a imminent possibility, they're the ones you need to worry about.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Boom town:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/wor ... 30240.html

Nothing will happen of course, but it will still be interesting to watch him squirm.

Elessar

Postby Delilah » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:49 am

Want to "have it up to here with religion" some more? I believe that my family has been posting comments on YouTube. How embarrassing. :P

Christian singer comes out as gay...the "satan/abomination/spiritual struggle" comments are so familiar that I could have written them myself were I parodying my upbringing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9rNkvIw2U

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby ELQ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 am

I use my Catholic upbringing as an excuse to have ultra-kinky sex!

Once while at mass a looooong time ago ... I asked my grandma why they didn't serve cheese with the crackers and wine we got every sunday. She scowled at me. The bratty kid that I was didn't take it very well and after receiving the host ... I went back to the pew, tapped grandma's shoulder, said 'Praise Cheeses!' and pulled that 'see food' stunt that kids do. She slapped me so hard that the entire congregation looked up in our direction. My face still gets hot when I think of that day.

ELQ
Spread Your Wings

You can not estimate the immensity of the fuck in which I do not give.

Postby Music » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:34 pm

I go to a Church of England school. I've avoided confirmation, I only get a blessing at communion, I make fun of the innuendoes in the school hymn (in particular the line 'Christ be in mouth of friend and stranger') and I generally let it flow all over me in the knowledge that I'll be out of there in a few months.
BUT as it is the 400th anniversary of the King James' Bible this year, every member of the school is having to memorise a passage of the bible and recite it in a special assembley in a few months.
I'm not sure what I'm more annoyed by, the fact that some of my vital brain space is being taken up by some crazy gullible fisherman's views of the world when it could be used for hmm, a levels maybe... or the amount that so called atheists are complaining about it...
rant over. :biggrin:

Music
Spread Your Wings

Postby Dusty » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:44 pm

You could always memorise the 'By the rivers of Babylon' bit, and justify it by thinking of it as a Boney M lyric... :lookround: :P

Dusty

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Westboro Baptist Church just won their case to be allowed to protest at military funerals. Now they can wave their hate flags everywhere they go and the law is going to back them up. :twisted: This country has gone to the dogs and then some.

Innuendoes

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:12 am

Greywoolfe wrote:You could always memorise the 'By the rivers of Babylon' bit, and justify it by thinking of it as a Boney M lyric... :lookround: :P

I so sang that song when reading your post!! :P :lol:
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby Delilah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 am

Innuendoes wrote:Westboro Baptist Church just won their case to be allowed to protest at military funerals. Now they can wave their hate flags everywhere they go and the law is going to back them up. :twisted: This country has gone to the dogs and then some.

Freedom of speech is more important than shutting up these asshats. And it pains me to agree with the ruling, it really really pains me.

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:13 am

Delilah wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Westboro Baptist Church just won their case to be allowed to protest at military funerals. Now they can wave their hate flags everywhere they go and the law is going to back them up. :twisted: This country has gone to the dogs and then some.

Freedom of speech is more important than shutting up these asshats. And it pains me to agree with the ruling, it really really pains me.

What about causing horrible mental grief to the family? I know people have been sued for causing someone else to suffer great psychological trauma.

Innuendoes

Postby Delilah » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:16 am

Innuendoes wrote:What about causing horrible mental grief to the family? I know people have been sued for causing someone else to suffer great psychological trauma.

I don't think that "it hurt my feelings" is a good enough reason to censor speech. And I'll grant you "hurt feelings" is an understatement in many cases of speech in many different venues. I have been present at many family gatherings where some absolutely soul-crushing, life-altering things have been said by one family member to another, and that's quite legal too. I am strongly against making speech illegal on the basis of offense or emotional pain. I can guarantee you that you and I both have said things that would cause anguish on the part of another person if they heard it. I don't want legal repercussions for speech based on whether or not the speech was "mean".

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 am

Delilah wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:What about causing horrible mental grief to the family? I know people have been sued for causing someone else to suffer great psychological trauma.

I don't think that "it hurt my feelings" is a good enough reason to censor speech. And I'll grant you "hurt feelings" is an understatement in many cases of speech in many different venues. I have been present at many family gatherings where some absolutely soul-crushing, life-altering things have been said by one family member to another, and that's quite legal too. I am strongly against making speech illegal on the basis of offense or emotional pain. I can guarantee you that you and I both have said things that would cause anguish on the part of another person if they heard it. I don't want legal repercussions for speech based on whether or not the speech was "mean".

It's not just mean words or "hurt feelings" though. It's downright insulting to the entire family, the dead soldier, the entire military and so on. This is a lot different than saying "oh you know so and so, he deserved to die because XYZ". It's that it is a public demonstration with signs, noise makers (no doubt) and chanting that the person was a sinner, that God HATES him/her, the entire family, etc, etc. You know what I'm talking about - you've seen it. It's a whole lot different than saying a bad thing about someone during a casual conversation.

Innuendoes

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World