In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:06 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:

I wonder how long it took you to look this story up to justify your snobby attitude? One man does not represent the rest of Barking, so my original statement still stands: I would much rather spend time with your average working class man in the street than some little snob who takes the piss out of those he feels are inferior to him.

It’s a good job my post referred to a single individual from Barking, and not the entire town, isn’t it?

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Roger wrote:The musicalprostitute guide to mass debate

1) Struggling to keep up? Start throwing out terms like ‘fella’, ‘lad, ‘son’ etc.
2) Still struggling? Categorise all the opposing views as ‘leftie’.
3) Said something offensive? Rather than apologise, attack those who call you out - see article 2.
4) Been caught out? Say you didn’t mean it literally; accuse the opponent of being pedantic.
5) Exhausted all opportunities to indicate a capability of any kind of critical thought? Say that the opponent has lost, and declare victory.

As they say, it’s like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn’t really matter how well you play. In the end, the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut around acting like he’s won.

6) When faced with hard proof of being wrong, criticise the opponent for using evidence, accuse him/her of over-reliance on facts and/or Google, and mock the (often very short) period of time it took for such evidence to be gathered.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I wonder how long it took you to look this story up to justify your snobby attitude? One man does not represent the rest of Barking, so my original statement still stands: I would much rather spend time with your average working class man in the street than some little snob who takes the piss out of those he feels are inferior to him.

It’s a good job my post referred to a single individual from Barking, and not the entire town, isn’t it?

OK, whatever; you used a generalisation based on your own warped and arrogant views...and then you went and found a story online in order to backtrack and make it seem like you were referring to a specific person.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm

Right I am locking up this thread and starting a new one. Can we please try and debate the topics in a more sensible way without the childish pedantic bickering that is all too prelevant.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Obviously not going to look at your little video. But, if you are actually stating that you were employing an oxford comma then you really know less than I originally thought. Regardless of the video, you made a grammatical mistake whilst playing the superior sort with regards to the past tense of 'hang'. I just wanted to prove a point that no one is perfect, lad - and that, fella, includes you.

It was a stylistic choice that I use almost ubiquitously. I appreciate that some may disapprove of that choice, often with good reason. Those who simply dismiss it as ‘wrong’, however, rapidly identify themselves as being well out of their depth.

Stylistic or not, it was grammatically incorrect. Now, I would not normally pull you up on something so trivial (I have bigger things to think about in life), but as you tried to take the higher ground concerning the past tense of 'hang' I thought it would be handy just to remind you that we can all make such errors. None of us are infallible.

I identify it as wrong. Absolutely. So please enlighten me as to why I am out of my depth.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:18 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:I wonder how long it took you to look this story up to justify your snobby attitude? One man does not represent the rest of Barking, so my original statement still stands: I would much rather spend time with your average working class man in the street than some little snob who takes the piss out of those he feels are inferior to him.

OK, whatever; you used a generalisation based on your own warped and arrogant views...and then you went and found a story online in order to backtrack and make it seem like you were referring to a specific person.

You know that Barking was the stronghold for the BNP in the early 2000s, right? And that Nick Griffin himself was a candidate there? I didn’t just stick a pin in the map randomly.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Views Of The World