In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

JLP wrote:And he probably only back tracked because he had been found out. Scarily though, that is the sort of rhetoric papers like the Daily Mail peddle. I used to buy it because of the sport's coverage. Then they ran a story blaming falling standards in GP care on doctors coming here from Germany and other European countries. It was as if people only did because of mistakes made by health care professionals from abroad. Which is so obviously untrue but many people believed it.


There are issues with doctors who don't speak adequate professional English, but a German doctor with dodgy English who occasionally prescribes 100mg of morphine instead of 10mg (I'm sure something like that happened once) is probably safer than having a vacant position on the rota in the grand scheme of things, so the real problem is chronic underfunding of the NHS...
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Here it is:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10349596

Jesus - what the fuck did he confuse diamorphine with, and didn't alarm bells ring when he cracked open the fifth ampoule?

Diclofenac? Maybe?
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Roger wrote:
You literally said this:

musicalprostitute wrote:Although he did go on to state that he regretted what he said and could have chosen better words to say what he meant - and I believe him (Farage is not one to back down on what he believes normally).


If you actually do now think he's a racist then by all means, say so. If you don't, that's cool too. There's nothing wrong with thinking that he isn't racist. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing now.


Yes, I believe that he regretted his choice of words, simply because from the little I have heard about him he does not seem like the sort of person to back down due to pressure, etc.

The comment itself was wrong. I did not agree with it. And I would not - in light of it - defend or support him.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Yes, I believe that he regretted his choice of words, simply because from the little I have heard about him he does not seem like the sort of person to back down due to pressure, etc.

The comment itself was wrong. I did not agree with it. And I would not - in light of it - defend or support him.


So there goes a brick from the sand foundation on which the house of cards that is Brexit was built...

Maybe we'll chip away at another brick another time.

Let's face it; we've got 41 years until the next one!
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:32 pm

JLP wrote:
I think your original comment was that you believed Ukip was not racist with it's policies. What Roger and myself talked about debunked that. Does not mean either of us are saying you are racist. I am saying Farage and his supporters can be.


OK. Point taken.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:10 pm

:roll:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... risis.html

They do realise that skiing requires snow, which tends to fall mostly during the winter, right?
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby bigV » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:07 pm

 
bigV
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Is this the life we really want?

      
 
Posts: 2310
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bi ... m-42663518

I had my eyes lasered 8 years ago and a few years later I was in an eye clinic with someone who the ophthalmologist who lasered my eyes had trained. He has a look at the scar on my corneas through the slit lamp and said “Ah yes, I can tell xyz did it!”

And anyone here with an artificial hip or knee will have the manufacturers logo engraved on their prosthesis.

The man did something idiotic, and rumours are that it was escalated to the police due to rivalries between surgeons in the department who hated each other.

But by all accounts he’s one of the best transplant surgeons in the country, and now he’s working as a fairly generic upper GI surgeon - an important job but one where his skills are far more replacable than the job he was forced out of.

Well done everybody...
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:20 am

This needs sorting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42662425

And the solution is almost entirely education, both of children and of parents. I’ve seen the sort of thing described in the article and worse. And it can be prevented by brushing your teeth. I drink plenty of fizzy drinks - no rotten teeth though. Why? Because I brush my teeth. It really is that simple.

Fluoride in the water would be a good idea too, but the usual lot would whinge about that :roll:
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I guess it’s not just leftie snowflakes who are upset after all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-row.html
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby pow wow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Roger wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42663518

I had my eyes lasered 8 years ago and a few years later I was in an eye clinic with someone who the ophthalmologist who lasered my eyes had trained. He has a look at the scar on my corneas through the slit lamp and said “Ah yes, I can tell xyz did it!”

And anyone here with an artificial hip or knee will have the manufacturers logo engraved on their prosthesis.

The man did something idiotic, and rumours are that it was escalated to the police due to rivalries between surgeons in the department who hated each other.

But by all accounts he’s one of the best transplant surgeons in the country, and now he’s working as a fairly generic upper GI surgeon - an important job but one where his skills are far more replacable than the job he was forced out of.

Well done everybody...


An artificial hip will have a logo and probably a serial number to allow it to be traced back in the event of a defect, as we seen fairly recently.

Your ophthalmologist knew who did your procedure in the same way I can tell a Picasso from a van Gogh.

To see a young doc like yourself trying to justify this surgeons actions is frankly disappointing and does nothing to shatter the stereotype of when the shit hits the fan the doctors will close ranks and look after themselves. Be better than that :-).

The judges summing up was perfect in my view.

Right, back to the couch for me to sleep off this Aussie flu :-(
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Roger wrote:I guess it’s not just leftie snowflakes who are upset after all:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-row.html


Christ, God only knows what they would do to that poor lad's (the H and M model) mother; she spoke out last week to tell people to get a grip.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:53 pm

pow wow wrote:
Roger wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-42663518

I had my eyes lasered 8 years ago and a few years later I was in an eye clinic with someone who the ophthalmologist who lasered my eyes had trained. He has a look at the scar on my corneas through the slit lamp and said “Ah yes, I can tell xyz did it!”

And anyone here with an artificial hip or knee will have the manufacturers logo engraved on their prosthesis.

The man did something idiotic, and rumours are that it was escalated to the police due to rivalries between surgeons in the department who hated each other.

But by all accounts he’s one of the best transplant surgeons in the country, and now he’s working as a fairly generic upper GI surgeon - an important job but one where his skills are far more replacable than the job he was forced out of.

Well done everybody...


An artificial hip will have a logo and probably a serial number to allow it to be traced back in the event of a defect, as we seen fairly recently.

Your ophthalmologist knew who did your procedure in the same way I can tell a Picasso from a van Gogh.

To see a young doc like yourself trying to justify this surgeons actions is frankly disappointing and does nothing to shatter the stereotype of when the shit hits the fan the doctors will close ranks and look after themselves. Be better than that :-).

The judges summing up was perfect in my view.

Right, back to the couch for me to sleep off this Aussie flu :-(


I did say that he did something idiotic. He undoubtedly did.

It only came to light because a rival surgeon reported him. There was never any risk to patients whatsoever; any damage to their psychological well-being has come as a result of the other surgeon reporting it.

The end result is that the country now has one fewer liver transplants surgeons than it had before this episode. The surgeon himself is still working, albeit in a far less specialised role. His reputation has taken a hit but he’ll be fine, and his new job is probably less stressful. The only peoppe that suffer as a result of this are people who need liver transplants, because there is now slightly less expertise in the country than there was before.

As for doctors closing ranks when one gets into trouble: That’s incredibly simplistic. For example, this guy quite rightly has been sacked:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-42582971

However, doctors sometimes do have to defend one another when the media start talking about things they don’t properly understand. And the idea that doctors all support each other is immediately blown away by the fact that the doctor in question was reported by a colleague/rival.
Last edited by Roger on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:56 pm

pow wow wrote:.
Your ophthalmologist knew who did your procedure in the same way I can tell a Picasso from a van Gogh.



I suspect it’s because the scar is perfectly circular and the work of a world-leading expert, but for all I know he might have lasered his initials onto my cornea! I really don’t care, all that matters is I now have fighter-pilot level eyesight.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby pow wow » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:24 pm

Roger wrote:
pow wow wrote:.
Your ophthalmologist knew who did your procedure in the same way I can tell a Picasso from a van Gogh.



I suspect it’s because the scar is perfectly circular and the work of a world-leading expert, but for all I know he might have lasered his initials onto my cornea! I really don’t care, all that matters is I now have fighter-pilot level eyesight.


I might ask you for his name one day soon as at the age of 44 my eyes are starting to go - as long as he doesn’t brand his name in there without asking :-).

It doesn’t matter who said what to whom and his stature in medicine shouldnt have armoured him with the arrogance to think he could do such an act, he crossed the line and should be duly punished.
 
pow wow
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 543
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:53 pm
Location: Liverpool
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron