In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 am

Roger wrote:
JLP wrote:...and we have a group of extreme MPs who want to derail the most democratic decision ever made by the population of the UK.

I’m not sure I agree with that description. The DUP are blocking proposals for Northern Ireland to remain in the free trade area, effectively remaining in the EU. If the only concern here is making sure that 52% of 70% get what they want, then it’s actually the Tories trying to derail that, and the DUP trying to deliver it.

That’s not why they they’re doing it of course, and the population of Northern Ireland voted very strongly against Brexit.

None of this has anything to do with democracy any more. And I don’t think the decision was a particularly democratic one, because the question was incredibly broad, and the details will end up being extremely specific. A minority of the electorate picked a general direction for th country to head in. How we get there will be determined by party politics, squabbling, unbalanced coalitions with disproportionate power, the media, and who knows what else. We might have democratically decided to go on holiday, but we won’t be democratically deciding where we’re going.

That bit was meant to be ironic.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby JLP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 am

What is ironic is that when she called the election, May said she did so because she was worried that other parties would try to stop Brexit.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 am

JLP wrote:
Roger wrote:
JLP wrote:...and we have a group of extreme MPs who want to derail the most democratic decision ever made by the population of the UK.

I’m not sure I agree with that description. The DUP are blocking proposals for Northern Ireland to remain in the free trade area, effectively remaining in the EU. If the only concern here is making sure that 52% of 70% get what they want, then it’s actually the Tories trying to derail that, and the DUP trying to deliver it.

That’s not why they they’re doing it of course, and the population of Northern Ireland voted very strongly against Brexit.

None of this has anything to do with democracy any more. And I don’t think the decision was a particularly democratic one, because the question was incredibly broad, and the details will end up being extremely specific. A minority of the electorate picked a general direction for th country to head in. How we get there will be determined by party politics, squabbling, unbalanced coalitions with disproportionate power, the media, and who knows what else. We might have democratically decided to go on holiday, but we won’t be democratically deciding where we’re going.

That bit was meant to be ironic.

Went straight over my head :oops:

It’s true though that strictly speaking, the DUP are being the most faithful to the sacred ‘will of the people’. But yet I wonder how many Brexiteers are cursing them right now?

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:16 am

I can’t actually work out what the DUP want though.

- They’re pro-Brexit, and have been since the start
- They insist there must not be a hard border
- They want NI to be treated the same as the rest of the UK

Are they offering any proposal on how that can be done? As far as I can tell, it’s quite genuinely impossible! The only solution I can think of that would work and be agreeable to the DUP would be for Ireland to leave the EU, and/or become part of the UK.

Absolutely no way in hell. The chances are astronomically small.

Roger
We Will Rock You

Postby sacko » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:05 am

terrorist organisation Hamas calls for new intifada

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news ... g-11653675

sorry for the mirror link, couldnt find the BBC article.

This was expected after Trump's latest evil blunder, but Hamas is equally to blame.

Israel and Hamas, they both have equal amounts of blood on their hands. All because of religious differences :roll:

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:25 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42264788

We're all to blame, but I can honestly say that I don't buy water in plastic bottles (and somehow I'm still fit and healthy on tap water). That stupid fashion fad has a lot to answer for.

Last edited by fairydandy on Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 am

:?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:35 am

But surely the issue isn't how many are made, but how they are disposed of.

If so many people didn't get rid of them in irresponsible ways, then the harm to the environment would be less of a significant one.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 am

Roger wrote:I can’t actually work out what the DUP want though.

Are they offering any proposal on how that can be done? As far as I can tell, it’s quite genuinely impossible! The only solution I can think of that would work and be agreeable to the DUP would be for Ireland to leave the EU, and/or become part of the UK.

The most logical solution, if you're not going to have a trade border between the Republic and NI, is to use the natural one, the Irish Sea. So effectively, as far as freedom of movement and trade goes, NI stays in the EU, the rest of us don't.

The DUP need to make a choice, and put their eggs visibly in one basket or the other. Otherwise they're just retarding us from doing anything constructive for that £50 billion.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby fairydandy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Kes wrote:But surely the issue isn't how many are made, but how they are disposed of.

If so many people didn't get rid of them in irresponsible ways, then the harm to the environment would be less of a significant one.

Well, like me, you are old enough to remember the rubbish collections when we were younger! Pah. The bin man came and collected just ash, because everything was disposed of on the fire. There was no such thing as plastic bottles and there certainly wasn't any of that bottled water nonsense, there was only Perrier and that was purely for art teachers and homosexuals. :roll: Ok, ok, the carbon footprint was high because of the coal burning and the smoke, but surely this reliance on this disgusting plastic cannot continue?

So, we get rid of carrier bags, now every fucker is leaving dog poo in plastic bags! :roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sacko » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Kes wrote:But surely the issue isn't how many are made, but how they are disposed of.

Well, like me, you are old enough to remember the rubbish collections when we were younger! Pah. The bin man came and collected just ash, because everything was disposed of on the fire. There was no such thing as plastic bottles and there certainly wasn't any of that bottled water nonsense, there was only Perrier and that was purely for art teachers and homosexuals. :roll: Ok, ok, the carbon footprint was high because of the coal burning and the smoke, but surely this reliance on this disgusting plastic cannot continue?

So, we get rid of carrier bags, now every fucker is leaving dog poo in plastic bags! :roll:

i only drink perrier citron :(

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby fairydandy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 pm

sacko wrote:

Homo. :(

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby sacko » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 pm

fairydandy wrote:
sacko wrote:

Homo. :(

:lol:

sacko
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:40 pm

fairydandy wrote:

I'm old enough to remember taking about half a dozen empty lemonade and cola bottles back to the shop every week to get about thruppence worth of sweets.

Maybe THAT'S what's up. Recycling in those days was driven by getting your kids to do the trivia for you. These days some fucker with a bush machete would probably try and mug you for your empties.

Don't suppose you've been to a council tip recently... the places are full of seemingly official people in hi-vis's diving in your boot to see if you've got anything they can sell on, on eBay.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:15 pm

Kes wrote:
Roger wrote:I can’t actually work out what the DUP want though.

The most logical solution, if you're not going to have a trade border between the Republic and NI, is to use the natural one, the Irish Sea. So effectively, as far as freedom of movement and trade goes, NI stays in the EU, the rest of us don't.

The DUP need to make a choice, and put their eggs visibly in one basket or the other. Otherwise they're just retarding us from doing anything constructive for that £50 billion.

They have done - they've insisted that Northern Ireland must not be treated differently to the rest of the UK.

Everyone else in Northern Ireland was happy for the border to be pushed to the Irish Sea.

Roger
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World