In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:23 pm

JLP wrote:Watched a programme off the i played last night called Hull's Headscarf Heroines. About a group of wives and mothers of trawler men from Hull. They got together to force the trawler owners to change the dangerous practices that fishermen endured in the waters around Iceland after two trawlers sank with the loss of 40 lives. Sadly another one sank soon after resulting in another 19 deaths. It took time but change came.

Very powerful women indeed, somewhat scary maybe but they fought for their men. Very proud to say they came from the same city K live in.


I remember a few years ago looking up workplace deaths (almost certainly to back up some sort of point...in fact I’m pretty sure I can remember what that point was), and it turns out that fishing is by a very long way the most dangerous job in the UK. Far more dangerous than other jobs which for some reason generate hysterical wristband wearing and suchlike...
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:58 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:So the dirty little scumbag Venables has been found guilty of child porn possession once again. This evil, twisted little shit needs to be locked up for good. Or hung. What good is he to anyone?



Well be got three and a half years which I suppose is the going rate for his abhorrent crime. Hanging is way too extreme though.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:06 pm

JLP wrote:Yikes. It is bad enough our patron saint being half Palestinian and Turkish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42939192


This is very interesting and the blue eyes is throwing me. Why were the eyes blue if the skin was that dark.

Then I went on to begin reading about the other Native Americans and for me, that's way more interesting. There were people here before that all occurred, apparently. They were smaller in stature than the NA we know of today. Many of them were the mound builders from various parts of the country but mainly in the center of what is now the USA. They just suddenly disappeared but there were huge, huge cities, especially the ones near Cahokia, Illinois. Those people were called Mississippians. Very cool. Love this stuff.
Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone
 
Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 

LEMONed I Scream

      
 
Posts: 10338
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 343 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:Yikes. It is bad enough our patron saint being half Palestinian and Turkish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42939192


This is very interesting and the blue eyes is throwing me. Why were the eyes blue if the skin was that dark.

Then I went on to begin reading about the other Native Americans and for me, that's way more interesting. There were people here before that all occurred, apparently. They were smaller in stature than the NA we know of today. Many of them were the mound builders from various parts of the country but mainly in the center of what is now the USA. They just suddenly disappeared but there were huge, huge cities, especially the ones near Cahokia, Illinois. Those people were called Mississippians. Very cool. Love this stuff.


Don't know why the eyes are blue but you are right, stuff like this is truly fascinating.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:26 pm

JLP wrote:Well be got three and a half years which I suppose is the going rate for his abhorrent crime. Hanging is way too extreme though.


I think it's actually significantly more than the going rate. Gary Glitter got about 3 months for a similar crime. My old maths teacher (!) got 6 months despite having far fewer pictures of a far less extreme nature than Glitter did. There doesn't seem to be much consistency when it comes to this sort of crime and sentencing. I guess the judge quite rightly took into account Venables' history and therefore his ongoing risk to children. Presumably his sentence would have been even greater if he had been found guilty rather than pleading guilty.

In America people get 20+ years for this sort of thing. That leaves them with catastrophically overcrowded, industrialised prisons, but they certainly can't be accused of being a soft touch!
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Roger wrote:
JLP wrote:Well be got three and a half years which I suppose is the going rate for his abhorrent crime. Hanging is way too extreme though.


I think it's actually significantly more than the going rate. Gary Glitter got about 3 months for a similar crime. My old maths teacher (!) got 6 months despite having far fewer pictures of a far less extreme nature than Glitter did. There doesn't seem to be much consistency when it comes to this sort of crime and sentencing. I guess the judge quite rightly took into account Venables' history and therefore his ongoing risk to children. Presumably his sentence would have been even greater if he had been found guilty rather than pleading guilty.

In America people get 20+ years for this sort of thing. That leaves them with catastrophically overcrowded, industrialised prisons, but they certainly can't be accused of being a soft touch!


What do you think should be done with him now? Rehabilitation appears to have failed. Should be rd subjected to chemical or actual castration? I am not sure but you would hope it he were ever to gather a child, he would not be allowed access to it.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10827
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:57 pm

JLP wrote:
Roger wrote:
JLP wrote:Well be got three and a half years which I suppose is the going rate for his abhorrent crime. Hanging is way too extreme though.


I think it's actually significantly more than the going rate. Gary Glitter got about 3 months for a similar crime. My old maths teacher (!) got 6 months despite having far fewer pictures of a far less extreme nature than Glitter did. There doesn't seem to be much consistency when it comes to this sort of crime and sentencing. I guess the judge quite rightly took into account Venables' history and therefore his ongoing risk to children. Presumably his sentence would have been even greater if he had been found guilty rather than pleading guilty.

In America people get 20+ years for this sort of thing. That leaves them with catastrophically overcrowded, industrialised prisons, but they certainly can't be accused of being a soft touch!


What do you think should be done with him now? Rehabilitation appears to have failed. Should be rd subjected to chemical or actual castration? I am not sure but you would hope it he were ever to gather a child, he would not be allowed access to it.


Absolutely not re castration. There’s no evidence it works, and would certainly be considered a cruel and unusual punishment.

I think the solution, frustratingly, is to just continue. It’s an extraordinary case but that doesn’t mean it should be dealt with extraordinarily. Strict parole, register all future relationships as a condition, no access to kids or computers, etc. If he did somehow end up with a child, there’s no reason why that child couldn’t have a normal life. Ian Huntley has a daughter. I saw an interview with her and she seems perfectly well-balanced.

Calls for hanging and the likes are the reactionary cries of people who actually think the world was better in the 1950s. I’ve noticed an almost perfect correlation between those in favour of hanging, and those who don’t know that the past tense is ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Roger wrote:
JLP wrote:Yikes. It is bad enough our patron saint being half Palestinian and Turkish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42939192


I don’t think Dave from Barking pays much attention to what them posh fackin’ scientists think, do you?


Belittling the little man once again - you are something else. I'd rather spend time with 'Dave from Barking' with his working class values and his strength of character and grit than with some little middle class snowflake.

People like you think you are better than the working class man in the street. You are not.
Last edited by musicalprostitute on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3411
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Roger wrote:
Calls for hanging and the likes are the reactionary cries of people who actually think the world was better in the 1950s. I’ve noticed an almost perfect correlation between those in favour of hanging, and those who don’t know that the past tense is ‘hanged’, not ‘hung’.



No. Wrong again. You really must stop over-generalising. You know nothing.

As for the past tense being 'hanged' not 'hung': you really need to stop being so pedantic just to prove a point and focus on your own writing; that way you won't make grammatical errors yourself (clue: there really should not be a comma before that 'and' in your last sentence).
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3411
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:29 pm

JLP wrote:Yikes. It is bad enough our patron saint being half Palestinian and Turkish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42939192


I really do not think the average man in the street gives a shit about this, to be fair (and I am not slating you by saying that, just stating what I think based on the people I know). OK, so it might anger some small-minded BNP types, but the rest of the population are really not going to care about the colour of our ancestors' skin - I mean, it is 2018.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3411
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:39 pm

 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

phpBB [video]
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:47 pm



I wonder how long it took you to look this story up to justify your snobby attitude? One man does not represent the rest of Barking, so my original statement still stands: I would much rather spend time with your average working class man in the street than some little snob who takes the piss out of those he feels are inferior to him.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3411
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Roger wrote:
phpBB [video]


Obviously not going to look at your little video. But, if you are actually stating that you were employing an oxford comma then you really know less than I originally thought. Regardless of the video, you made a grammatical mistake whilst playing the superior sort with regards to the past tense of 'hang'. I just wanted to prove a point that no one is perfect, lad - and that, fella, includes you.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3411
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 375 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:02 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:
phpBB [video]


Obviously not going to look at your little video. But, if you are actually stating that you were employing an oxford comma then you really know less than I originally thought. Regardless of the video, you made a grammatical mistake whilst playing the superior sort with regards to the past tense of 'hang'. I just wanted to prove a point that no one is perfect, lad - and that, fella, includes you.


It was a stylistic choice that I use almost ubiquitously. I appreciate that some may disapprove of that choice, often with good reason. Those who simply dismiss it as ‘wrong’, however, rapidly identify themselves as being well out of their depth.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 25 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: julymorning and 3 guests