In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby CNB » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:59 am

I WANT TO BREAK FREE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
THE SHOW MUST GO ON !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39277845

Donald Duck. Quack quack quack...

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:20 am

fairydandy wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39277845

What he is saying makes some sense. Even our own Brexit minister says no deal would involve trade tactics which mean more expensive goods. Fair enough if you are in a financial position to pay more for your food I suppose. Trouble is,, tens of thousands of families are not in a position to do so.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby fairydandy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 am

JLP wrote:

What he is saying makes some sense. Even our own Brexit minister says no deal would involve trade tactics which mean more expensive goods. Fair enough if you are in a financial position to pay more for your food I suppose. Trouble is,, tens of thousands of families are not in a position to do so.

The point is, he can threaten us, but we can't threaten him. He knows full well that a deal is essential and he knows full well that we will get one.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:27 am

The Scottish dwarf is backtracking already! Her bluff is about to fail! Most Scots want to stay in the UK by 57% to 43% a new poll finds (does a majority still matter in a poll these days... :roll: ). Now she's saying that a deal is possible. Sorry love, we don't need to deal with you.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 am

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:

The point is, he can threaten us, but we can't threaten him. He knows full well that a deal is essential and he knows full well that we will get one.

As you have said before though, the UK is not a major player in the world stage anymore. We are one country hoping that twenty odd other countries will give in to our demands. They don't need us. They could cast us adrift if they want. They probably will not but they could.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby fairydandy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:13 pm

JLP wrote:As you have said before though, the UK is not a major player in the world stage anymore. We are one country hoping that twenty odd other countries will give in to our demands. They don't need us. They could cast us adrift if they want. They probably will not but they could.

Personally, I couldn't care less if we walked away without a deal tomorrow. The consumer will win this argument anyway.

If Audi for example want to sell a million cars here, but there is a £3k trade barrier to doing so...what will they do when everyone stops buying them? They will build a factory here to make the cars for the UK market. seems like win-win to me.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Ace » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:56 pm

JLP wrote:

As you have said before though, the UK is not a major player in the world stage anymore. We are one country hoping that twenty odd other countries will give in to our demands. They don't need us. They could cast us adrift if they want. They probably will not but they could.

The UK is the fifth biggest economy in the world. It's legal systems and laws have formed the basis of many other large countries in the world. Our language is accepted as the universal business language of the world. The commonwealth members dwarf the EU in size. Many countries (outside of Europe) respect the UK and have ambitions to trade with it.

The UK imports a significant amount more from the EU than it exports. The UKs unemployment figures are the lowest since 1975. Our manufacturing and export policies are, by definition, completely EU compliant. Our intelligence services are respected and utilised not only across Europe but also across the world. Our diplomatic skills when dealing with non-EU countries are in great demand.

We have repeatedly stated that we want to establish an amicable agreement with the EU going forward. So far the EU has stated that it will be tough for the UK once we leave. They have stated that we can not have the good bits without the bad bits. When we state that no deal is better than a bad deal we are accused of blackmail. This simply beggars belief.

All of this is pre-negotiation posturing. A good negotiator keeps their cards very close to their chest. Rule nothing in and nothing out. Listen to what's on offer and give nothing without something in return. Above all, aim for a win win outcome.

But some negotiations can't succeed. If both sides have a red line on the same issue then you can't have a win win outcome. The UK has desperately tried, despite pressure from some parties, not to publish any requirements ahead of negotiation. Clearly, by definition, unlimited immigration is one such redline that it has been unavoidable in stating ahead of negotiations. Outside of that, it's all to play for.

It will be messy and difficult during the negotiation phase but it is in everyone's interest to secure a settlement. However, I agree with the statement, no deal is better than a bad deal. It is within the EU's gift to give the UK an acceptable deal. Whether they choose to do so will be down to them. If they don't want us to walk away, talk sensibly.

When David Cameron went to the EU pre vote to ask for something that he could offer to the people of the UK to convince them to vote remain they mocked, ridiculed and laughed in his face. They gave him a lollipop and a bag of balloons and told him not to be silly. They didn't believe the UK would do it. Now that it has, they need to listen a bit more, understand our requirements and explain their own. Perhaps then, we can get an agreement going forward.

Ace
Spread Your Wings

Tired !!!!!!!!

Postby Tarkus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 am

:agreepost:
Forks Over Knives!

"Raging in thought, mouthless, the millions obey; so call off your dogs, you preachers of what we can say."- Silent Nation, Asia.

Tarkus
The Show Must Go On

Citizen of the Silent Nation

Postby CNB » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:25 pm

HELP !!!!! I can't take it anymore. Now he is lying about the UK wiretapping him!

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrat ... 0943710955
I WANT TO BREAK FREE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
THE SHOW MUST GO ON !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby action » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:58 pm

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, muss man schweigen.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby WeeMann » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:38 pm

I've just deleted a few posts.

For the record, here's my post from a week ago:

WeeMann wrote:
Elessar wrote:
JLP wrote:Look guys, if you want to carry on this back and forth nonsense would it be possible to do it privately.

If you think that my attempts to protect this board are nonsense then by all means, I'll stop.

No, but this is getting very boring now and we're ready to lock down this and any other thread it pops up in.

I think you all know the next step if it rears up again after that.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby WeeMann » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:40 pm

action wrote:.

Sorry action, I missed that. What did you say?
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby action » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Last edited by action on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, muss man schweigen.

action
Don't Stop Me Now

I want the truth

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:59 pm

WeeMann wrote:I've just deleted a few posts.

For what reason?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World