In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:40 pm

JLP wrote:
Well they are anti immigration and tend to blame things like rising crime, the state of our public services and so on onto immigrants. And their power bases tend to be in places where anti immigration feelings run the highest.

Farage said some pretty nasty things about Rumanians during the Brexit campaign too.


I cannot recall him saying anything nasty about Romanians (but then this was probably some time ago). What exactly did he state? Actually, don't worry, I shall go and have a quick Google.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:43 pm

This is the first time I've read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

"Any normal and fair-minded person would have a perfect right to be concerned if a group of Romanian people suddenly moved in next door."

'Normal and fair-minded'! We've certainly seen that sort of rhetoric before...
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Roger wrote:This is the first time I've read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

"Any normal and fair-minded person would have a perfect right to be concerned if a group of Romanian people suddenly moved in next door."

'Normal and fair-minded'! We've certainly seen that sort of rhetoric before...


I have just read the same link. Well, that was a ridiculous statement he made there, I agree. Although he did go on to state that he regretted what he said and could have chosen better words to say what he meant - and I believe him (Farage is not one to back down on what he believes normally).

Anyway, I agree that his original statement was awful, fallacious and just simply wrong.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:49 pm



Interesting read! ;)
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8284
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:50 pm

Roger wrote:This is the first time I've read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

"Any normal and fair-minded person would have a perfect right to be concerned if a group of Romanian people suddenly moved in next door."

'Normal and fair-minded'! We've certainly seen that sort of rhetoric before...


Yes that was the one. The inference being that they would more likely to have criminal tendencies. We have a group who come into the place I work to play the gaming machines. People actually question where they get their money from to gamble.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10737
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 406 times

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:51 pm

Really think this discussion should be in the original news thread.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10737
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 406 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:55 pm

That's where we differ about him then I think. To you, it was a slip of the tongue, a poor choice of words, and doesn't reflect who he is. To me, it was a moment when the mask slipped and he revealed his true form.

I've said before that Farage is very smart, because it's almost impossible to find any actual evidence of racism, but it's lurking there in plain sight. And when there is evidence, it's either a slip of the tongue or a slip of the mask, depending I suppose on what you want to believe.

Look at that moron in Ireland who posed with some Kingsmill bread on his head on the anniversary of the Kingsmill Massacre. I'm sure plenty of Sinn Fein supporters will buy his excuse that he didn't realise what the brand was and it had nothing to do with the anniversary. Haha yeah, good one. And all the hardcore Sinn Fein supporters who are also sympathetic towards the IRA will think he's a bloody hero for taunting the Protestants so openly! It's a win-win. The middle-ground people get to carry on thinking they're not supporting a bigot; and the extremists know that their man has got their backs.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 pm

JLP wrote:
Roger wrote:This is the first time I've read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27459923

"Any normal and fair-minded person would have a perfect right to be concerned if a group of Romanian people suddenly moved in next door."

'Normal and fair-minded'! We've certainly seen that sort of rhetoric before...


Yes that was the one. The inference being that they would more likely to have criminal tendencies. We have a group who come into the place I work to play the gaming machines. People actually question where they get their money from to gamble.


Weird that they'd use slot machines. Surely they know better than anyone that all the games are rigged... ;)
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Edit.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:00 pm

Roger wrote:That's where we differ about him then I think. To you, it was a slip of the tongue, a poor choice of words, and doesn't reflect who he is. To me, it was a moment when the mask slipped and he revealed his true form.

I've said before that Farage is very smart, because it's almost impossible to find any actual evidence of racism, but it's lurking there in plain sight. And when there is evidence, it's either a slip of the tongue or a slip of the mask, depending I suppose on what you want to believe.


I just knew that you would have to turn what I stated into something negative. So here we go again. I cannot win. I think what he stated about Romanians was wrong; but I did note that he expressed regret at his choice of words because I think we should have a bit of fair balance. But carry on.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:04 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:That's where we differ about him then I think. To you, it was a slip of the tongue, a poor choice of words, and doesn't reflect who he is. To me, it was a moment when the mask slipped and he revealed his true form.

I've said before that Farage is very smart, because it's almost impossible to find any actual evidence of racism, but it's lurking there in plain sight. And when there is evidence, it's either a slip of the tongue or a slip of the mask, depending I suppose on what you want to believe.


I just knew that you would have to turn what I stated into something negative. So here we go again. I cannot win. I think what he stated about Romanians was wrong; but I did note that he expressed regret at his choice of words because I think we should have a bit of fair balance. But carry on.


I'm not being negative, I'm saying that I see it as evidence of racism (because of what he said), and you see it as evidence of lack of racism (because he back-tracked). It's called confirmation bias and we all do it.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Roger wrote:
I'm not being negative, I'm saying that I see it as evidence of racism (because of what he said), and you see it as evidence of lack of racism (because he back-tracked). It's called confirmation bias and we all do it.


OK. You win. I literally cannot do this anymore on here. I am a grown man and I cannot do this petty shit any longer.

You are again trying to paint a picture of me that is false. I have not stated in any shape or form that it was a lack of racism at all - I stated that he regretted his words. I stated that what he said was completely wrong.

What you have stated above is one of the reasons why you are not interested in the truth, but just trying to prove your point (wrongly here), regardless of what I have actually stated. In all honesty, I think the majority of your posts are well written (even if I don't agree with you), but this is fucking low.
 
musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

      
 
Posts: 3240
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Essex and Cardiff.
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 367 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:That's where we differ about him then I think. To you, it was a slip of the tongue, a poor choice of words, and doesn't reflect who he is. To me, it was a moment when the mask slipped and he revealed his true form.

I've said before that Farage is very smart, because it's almost impossible to find any actual evidence of racism, but it's lurking there in plain sight. And when there is evidence, it's either a slip of the tongue or a slip of the mask, depending I suppose on what you want to believe.


I just knew that you would have to turn what I stated into something negative. So here we go again. I cannot win. I think what he stated about Romanians was wrong; but I did note that he expressed regret at his choice of words because I think we should have a bit of fair balance. But carry on.


I'm not being negative, I'm saying that I see it as evidence of racism (because of what he said), and you see it as evidence of lack of racism (because he back-tracked). It's called confirmation bias and we all do it.


And he probably only back tracked because he had been found out. Scarily though, that is the sort of rhetoric papers like the Daily Mail peddle. I used to buy it because of the sport's coverage. Then they ran a story blaming falling standards in GP care on doctors coming here from Germany and other European countries. It was as if people only did because of mistakes made by health care professionals from abroad. Which is so obviously untrue but many people believed it.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10737
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 406 times

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:
I'm not being negative, I'm saying that I see it as evidence of racism (because of what he said), and you see it as evidence of lack of racism (because he back-tracked). It's called confirmation bias and we all do it.


OK. You win. I literally cannot do this anymore on here. I am a grown man and I cannot do this petty shit any longer.

You are again trying to paint a picture of me that is false. I have not stated in any shape or form that it was a lack of racism at all - I stated that he regretted his words. I stated that what he said was completely wrong.

What you have stated above is one of the reasons why you are not interested in the truth, but just trying to prove your point (wrongly here), regardless of what I have actually stated. In all honesty, I think the majority of your posts are well written (even if I don't agree with you), but this is fucking low.


You literally said this:

musicalprostitute wrote:Although he did go on to state that he regretted what he said and could have chosen better words to say what he meant - and I believe him (Farage is not one to back down on what he believes normally).


If you actually do now think he's a racist then by all means, say so. If you don't, that's cool too. There's nothing wrong with thinking that he isn't racist. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing now.
 
Roger
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: In the news today

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:
I'm not being negative, I'm saying that I see it as evidence of racism (because of what he said), and you see it as evidence of lack of racism (because he back-tracked). It's called confirmation bias and we all do it.


OK. You win. I literally cannot do this anymore on here. I am a grown man and I cannot do this petty shit any longer.

You are again trying to paint a picture of me that is false. I have not stated in any shape or form that it was a lack of racism at all - I stated that he regretted his words. I stated that what he said was completely wrong.

What you have stated above is one of the reasons why you are not interested in the truth, but just trying to prove your point (wrongly here), regardless of what I have actually stated. In all honesty, I think the majority of your posts are well written (even if I don't agree with you), but this is fucking low.


I think your original comment was that you believed Ukip was not racist with it's policies. What Roger and myself talked about debunked that. Does not mean either of us are saying you are racist. I am saying Farage and his supporters can be.
Come on you Tigers.
 
JLP
Site Admin
 
User avatar

 

Growing old disgracefully

      
 
Posts: 10737
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 406 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Pingu and 4 guests