In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Roger wrote:Give it a few years and you can buy your next set in shillings :P

Cor, luvverly...miles, gallons, pounds, shillings, pence, ounces, pounds....the 3 day week, strikes, powerful halfwit unions, a car industry that was a national joke, trains that never ran...wait a minute, I'm a Remoaner! :P

The youth of today have no idea what a yard is. And if you're watching TV and you ask them to "tune in" or "see what's on the other side", they'll just stare at you blankly. And tax discs! When did they get taken away from us? The tax disc is a very important reference for describing noticeably large...actually no, it's 2018, we can't talk about that sort of thing any more.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:20 pm

Funnily enough one of my colleagues commented on my skill with mental arithmetic the other day. I suggested it was because I learnt to count using pounds, shillings, pennies, inches, yards, pounds and ounces.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 pm

Roger wrote:
Found it!

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=5916

It's a fun read because you get taken down by a completely different poster and then target me for finding your capitulation amusing.

I won't read through all of it, but I very much doubt I stated anything there which would embarrass me. I did think of voting for them at that time and I did not think they were a racist party at all. And I still don't. Sure they may have had some dodgy members, like other political parties across the board, but there is no racism in any of their policies as far as I have seen - but, I will admit I am wrong if you enlighten me otherwise.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Roger wrote:
The youth of today have no idea what a yard is. And if you're watching TV and you ask them to "tune in" or "see what's on the other side", they'll just stare at you blankly. And tax discs! When did they get taken away from us? The tax disc is a very important reference for describing noticeably large...actually no, it's 2018, we can't talk about that sort of thing any more.

Don't get me started on the youth of today! Seriously, is anyone else worried about the time they spend looking at those bloody phones...and it's not just 'yoofs' it's older people too! What a waste of life!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm

JLP wrote:Funnily enough one of my colleagues commented on my skill with mental arithmetic the other day. I suggested it was because I learnt to count using pounds, shillings, pennies, inches, yards, pounds and ounces.

Stephen Fry makes the point that 12 is a much better base for currency than 10, because it divides by 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 12; whereas 10 only divides by 1, 2, 5 and 10.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:25 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Roger wrote:

Don't get me started on the youth of today! Seriously, is anyone else worried about the time they spend looking at those bloody phones...and it's not just 'yoofs' it's older people too! What a waste of life!

It's changing the way our brains work apparently. Rather than learn stuff we just look it up, which is cool, but it means we don't consign as much to memory. I rely on my calendar now whereas I'm sure 10 years ago I'd have just remembered my schedule.

I deleted Facebook a few months ago. I'm sure I'll be back but at the moment I don't miss it.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm

I hated pounds, shillings and pence, gallons, ounces, pounds and yards. I like metres, but I still prefer miles to km's. :roll:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Roger wrote:
It's changing the way our brains work apparently. Rather than learn stuff we just look it up, which is cool, but it means we don't consign as much to memory. I rely on my calendar now whereas I'm sure 10 years ago I'd have just remembered my schedule.

I deleted Facebook a few months ago. I'm sure I'll be back but at the moment I don't miss it.

The backlash against Facebook and Twitter and all that shit will surely come!

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:
Found it!

It's a fun read because you get taken down by a completely different poster and then target me for finding your capitulation amusing.

I won't read through all of it, but I very much doubt I stated anything there which would embarrass me. I did think of voting for them at that time and I did not think they were a racist party at all. And I still don't. Sure they may have had some dodgy members, like other political parties across the board, but there is no racism in any of their policies as far as I have seen - but, I will admit I am wrong if you enlighten me otherwise.

I actually looked at their latest manifesto a few days ago and it was all essentially benign stuff, although I disagreed with a lot of it.

I do remember reading their manifesto a few years ago though (maybe 2010?) and there was a section about forcibly repatriating immigrants (going as far back as third generation immigrants I think) back to their 'home' country, and using taxpayers money to pay for their transport.

It's possible that I hallucinated it, but I certainly remember reading it. Of course it's nowhere to be found now. I suppose it's possible I dreamt it...

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:30 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
Roger wrote:
Found it!

Well they are anti immigration and tend to blame things like rising crime, the state of our public services and so on onto immigrants. And their power bases tend to be in places where anti immigration feelings run the highest.

Farage said some pretty nasty things about Rumanians during the Brexit campaign too.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

JLP wrote:Well they are anti immigration and tend to blame things like rising crime, the state of our public services and so on onto immigrants. And their power bases tend to be in places where anti immigration feelings run the highest.

Farage said some pretty nasty things about Rumanians during the Brexit campaign too.

Oh yeah! There was that poster of a procession of Kurds, and somehow that was used as a pro-Brexit argument! I forgot about that!

My goodness - and to think I'd briefly forgotten how they're racist!

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:31 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Roger wrote:

Says he who used to spend 25hours a day on the old board. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby fairydandy » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm

JLP wrote:
Says he who used to spend 25hours away on the old board. :lol:

Actually, that's a bloody fair point! :lol:

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 pm

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:
Says he who used to spend 25hours away on the old board. :lol:

Actually, that's a bloody fair point! :lol:

I expected a pah in response. :P
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:36 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Roger wrote:

The backlash against Facebook and Twitter and all that shit will surely come!

It's already happening. Twitter is swarming with Russian bots (I'm serious!) and Facebook is an echo-chamber for people with similar views to one another, and a breeding ground for #FakeNews. It's awkward because Zuckerberg is probably a Democrat, but he's also very much in favour of freedom of information, so he's in a very difficult position given that his platform contributed to Trump getting elected - especially as it also helped Obama in 2008.

A cynic would say that he allowed the problem to develop so that he can be the one to find the solution and then we'll all be dependent on him. I read an interesting fictional article about him being president...I'll try to dig it out...

Found it: http://qz.com/884971/democracy-3-0-a-sc ... n-america/

Roger
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World