In the news today

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Kes wrote:
Roger wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Now, I do not agree with Mogg, but at least he is not trying to persuade young people to murder those who are of another race, simply because they are another race.

Well, you don’t need to blow people up when you can just starve them to death through austerity.

And let’s not forget that old lie: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Being completely fair. A lot of these people who are starving to death through austerity, can still somehow afford mobile phone contracts. Don't ask me how, but they do. Maybe owning a mobile phone is essential to help you find out which food banks have the best gear at any given time.

I would argue that in this day and age a mobile phone is pretty much essential.

I think that people on the dole have to spend 40 hours a week job-seeking, and this often involves responding to last minute texts etc.

I agree it doesn’t necessarily have to be an iPhone X though.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:48 pm

"A" mobile phone on a £15 Tesco pay as you go contract is one thing.

The latest smartphone on a forty quid a month "bells and whistles" contract with a 3gb data bundle, is completely another.

There's something not quite right with austerity, when someone can live in Central London, the most expensive real estate in the Western world, totally on benefits, and still afford mobile phones for all the family, Sky Movies Plus contracts, and still enough left over for the old man to go down the boozer, and fill his Saturday afternoon horse racing card at Ladbrokes.

There's people on full time jobs that can't afford the rent for the place over their heads, let alone half of that shit.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:52 pm

Kes wrote:"A" mobile phone on a £15 Tesco pay as you go contract is one thing.

The latest smartphone on a forty quid a month "bells and whistles" contract with a 3gb data bundle, is completely another.

There's something not quite right with austerity, when someone can live in Central London, the most expensive real estate in the Western world, totally on benefits, and still afford mobile phones for all the family, Sky Movies Plus contracts, and still enough left over for the old man to go down the boozer, and fill his Saturday afternoon horse racing card at Ladbrokes.

There's people on full time jobs that can't afford the rent for the place over their heads, let alone half of that shit.

Alright, but what if you take out a 24 month iPhone contract whilst in gainful employment, and then lose your job through no fault of your own? You can’t just cancel your contract - you’re locked in.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:55 pm

Bollocks to Ladbrokes, we offer better odds. :P
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:01 pm

I don't think you've thought this through.

If you can't pay your contract, you hand your phone back and tell them you can't pay your contract. Phone companies are not like the taxman, they can't get blood out of a stone.

Anyway, I've been made redundant twice, once just after taking out the expensive phone contract. If you look hard enough, and are willing to lower your sights, there are jobs out there while you're finding your feet. I currently (and have been for the last ten years) travel 120 miles a day to and from my employment, the money I make covers my fuel and mortgage with about forty quid a month spare. My other half covers the luxuries in life, like food, the council tax and heating bills. Would I be better off on benefits? I don't know, but I'm not keen on finding out. It isn't in my nature to crawl into a benefits office and find out.

Strangely, I'm in an industry where everyone else thinks I'm on a packet, yet the reality is that low price companies like Ryanair have sucked any profit out of the industry, and everybody's trying to undercut everybody else, just to survive, to the point that no-one makes very much money at all, except maybe the customer.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:05 pm

JLP wrote:

Yeah, my youngest has just been baited away from your lot, and Mr. Done, by someone who offered a significantly better salary. I think your punters might just be proffing from your lack of pay rises. :shock:

I shouldn't moan. My ex-wife found it a great way to spend her time, until some knob poked a sawn-off under her nose one day. It gave her a whole different perspective of the job, and life, for that matter.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Kes wrote:
JLP wrote:

Yeah, my youngest has just been baited away from your lot, and Mr. Done, by someone who offered a significantly better salary. I think your punters might just be proffing from your lack of pay rises. :shock:

I shouldn't moan. My ex-wife found it a great way to spend her time, until some knob poked a sawn-off under her nose one day. It gave her a whole different perspective of the job, and life, for that matter.

I am fortunate that I have my pension from the health service so I am ok. It is shit pay but then again, most shifts are pretty easy.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby fairydandy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Kes wrote:I currently (and have been for the last ten years) travel 120 miles a day to and from my employment, the money I make covers my fuel and mortgage with about forty quid a month spare.

Wow, that's really harsh. Respect to you for keeping going.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm

Thank heavens for that.

You've spent a lot of your life in a rough job earning rough wages, and the silver lining now is that you can continue drawing most of those crap wages for NOT having to do the crap job.

A lot of people who complain about wages in the NHS, don't seem to take that factor into account. They might be hard to make ends meet now, but they are doing a lot to make their lives survivable later.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby JLP » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:36 pm

Kes wrote:Thank heavens for that.

You've spent a lot of your life in a rough job earning rough wages, and the silver lining now is that you can continue drawing most of those crap wages for NOT having to do the crap job.

A lot of people who complain about wages in the NHS, don't seem to take that factor into account. They might be hard to make ends meet now, but they are doing a lot to make their lives survivable later.

I was terrified when I was sacked two years ago. I went back on bended knees to my old work place and asked to go back. I was literally told to find a new career. At the age of 56. I have my suspicions why they would not take me back. I blew the whistle on some very nasty people 6 months before I retired.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:39 pm

fairydandy wrote:
Kes wrote:I currently (and have been for the last ten years) travel 120 miles a day to and from my employment, the money I make covers my fuel and mortgage with about forty quid a month spare.

Wow, that's really harsh. Respect to you for keeping going.

Often I wonder why I still do it

I guess you can't beat actually doing a job you still enjoy doing.

The last place I was at, I always said that even if I won the lottery, I'd still work there. The current one, maybe not so much so. It's hard work sometimes, especially on 12 hour shifts, and an extra couple or three hours on the M25 doesn't make it easier, but what else would I do?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:54 pm

Kes wrote:Thank heavens for that.

That used to be true, but the NHS pensions have now been cut and raided. They’re probably still quite good but they’re not as good as they were a decade ago.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Kes wrote:I don't think you've thought this through.

If you can't pay your contract, you hand your phone back and tell them you can't pay your contract. Phone companies are not like the taxman, they can't get blood out of a stone.

Yes but then your credit rating is fucked, which affects you for years.

I’m no more familiar with the reality of life on the dole as you are, but I suspect it’s significantly harder than it might appear.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:09 pm

I think half of it is being able to insulate yourself from the people who are interrogating you like you're a lower form of life.

The people at the rough end of the pensions things are self employed or zero hours contracted people, as they have to pay the employer's element of pension funds themselves. They don't get paid holidays, sick or redundancy, and the rate they get paid these days, is generally only pennies more an hour, than a fully employed person.

As regards credit ratings, I could be someone who's never needed a bank loan or credit card, and I'd have a worse credit rating than someone who had defaulted on a few occasions. They are based on your credit history good or bad, and if you don't have a history, your rating is lower than a dachshund's cock on a snowy day.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Roger » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:13 pm

Kes wrote:I think half of it is being able to insulate yourself from the people who are interrogating you like you're a lower form of life.

The people at the rough end of the pensions things are self employed or zero hours contracted people, as they have to pay the employer's element of pension funds themselves. They don't get paid holidays, sick or redundancy, and the rate they get paid these days, is generally only pennies more an hour, than a fully employed person.

I have literally no idea how much my pension is or will be worth, because it’s irrelevant to me. I also don’t know what my salary is, or even what my official hours are. I just do what I’ve got to do and the number on my bank balance briefly goes up once a month. If I don’t like it, I don’t really have any alternative, so why worry about it?

Roger
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World