Poppy Day

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Poppy Day

Postby Elessar » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Such echoes of the similar Hillsborough docu-film here. An instant coverup by the authorities, and decades of waiting for justice. And, lets face it, a fairly similar demographic of victims.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Elessar wrote:Always better to resurrect an old thread than to start a new one...

Anyone watching Bloody Sunday on ITV3 right now? 13 excellent reasons not to wear a poppy.

One of those things it's hard to imagine having actually happened.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Elessar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Only just heard about this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... ath-threat

Absolutely ridiculous. No one should be forced to wear a poppy.

Elessar

Postby Brianna May-Taylor » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Elessar wrote:Always better to resurrect an old thread than to start a new one...

Anyone watching Bloody Sunday on ITV3 right now? 13 excellent reasons not to wear a poppy.

I believe it was McGuiness who fired the first shot, and despite seeming "respectable these days I don't believe terrorists change their spots. I understand that it's freedom of choice whether to wear a poppy or not (Yes I'm Queen Of Rhye,under a new name, lost my log in) one that servicemen have given their life limb and sanity in two world wars for.I'm also a Poppy Appeal Collector for the Royal British Legion, I was inspired to get involved after hearing about a dear friend suffered Combat PTSD as a result of service, talking of a period from about 1979-1995 as as a result of Gulf War 1. I've found out my Gt GT Uncle in WW1 , he was a may be described as a career soldier, but I thought he was a civvy who volunteered for WW1 as he believed it was the right thing to do. More about his Regiment here http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/2ndbn ... alion.html. To those who say career/volunteer soldiers are less worthy of respect/commemoration on 11th November /Remberance Sunday , I don't think so My Grandad Bill and my Gt Uncle Albert were conscripts in WW2, and Albert was a Japanese POW and he died on a Hell Ship http://www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/Hell_Ships/. I believe Rememberance is about remembering all our military who are willing to risk life limb and sanity to keep us civvies safe . Yes I also think about enemy casualties, as I'm sure most Germans in WW's 1 and 2 believed they were fighting for Germany. It also reminds me about how futile war can be, what a waste of life on both sides. I believe I can support our military without supporting the war in Afghanistan, look how many ANA, ANP have turned and opened fire on our military, I'm thinking is this war worth the loss of anympore life, no I don't think so, I think without allied intevention Afghanistan will eventually return to the Taliban controlled hellhole it was. I don't even know why we're there is it the "war on terror" is it about drugs, or oil or something else. It was the American government who sold the Taliban the weapons, to fight the Russians, in the 1980's even the mighty Russian Army pulled out, so what hope havehe small in comparison US and British Armies got of victory. OH yes since 1945, 1968 was the only year British forces have NOT been involved in some war/conflict somewhere in the world http://www.britains-smallwars.com/. Just saying I know a few veterans of the Malaya/Borneo conflicts were they wrong to help the Malayan people fight the ravages of coimmunism, OK some were National Servicemen, but national service I think was abolished in 1960, those who joined post 1960 did so of their own free will. I know in an ideal world there wouldn't be war, but I think if Britain or an ally is under threat then I believe war should be used, but only as a last resort!!!

Brianna May-Taylor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Brianna May-Taylor wrote:

I believe it was McGuiness who fired the first shot, and despite seeming "respectable these days I don't believe terrorists change their spots.

That may or may not be true, but even if it is, McGuinness wasn't one of the 13 innocent people shot dead.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:09 am

I still buy them, I have no objection to helping ex-servicemen, though it is worth pointing out that the same Governments who sent them to war, have left them to suffer PTSD or missing limbs or both without help, to such an extent that they need a charity to look after them instead. That's how much the country values it's 'heroes'. That aside, if you find yourself defending the slaughter of innocent people who were shot by the British Army, then that's pretty much why I won't wear a poppy.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby Brianna May-Taylor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:I still buy them, I have no objection to helping ex-servicemen, though it is worth pointing out that the same Governments who sent them to war, have left them to suffer PTSD or missing limbs or both without help, to such an extent that they need a charity to look after them instead. That's how much the country values it's 'heroes'. That aside, if you find yourself defending the slaughter of innocent people who were shot by the British Army, then that's pretty much why I won't wear a poppy.

Our governments seem to have a reputation for defending terrorists, just cos Martin Mc Guinness wears a suit and is elected doesn't make him any more respectable. If British soldiers have wantonly slaughtered innocent people then so they should face trial, just this government doesn't seem to defend our soldiers. I know soldiers who have been staring Mc Guinness down the barrel of a gun, and they could've taken him out, but had to get permission to do so, and have been denied. Look at Abu Qatada entered Britain illeagally, and is a terrorist, he gets given a house and benefits for his family and kids, compare that to SAS Sgt Danny Nightingale, he's currently languishing in prison as he was given a Glock pistol as a thank you by Iraqi forces he'd helped to train, I'd like to think Iraq is a better place for the Iraqi people since the topple of Saddam. Even if our forces were sent to war on a lie that Saddam had WMDs. Poor Sgt Nightingale was in a coma and he forgot about the Glock pistol, OK so it's against the law in Britain to own a firearm (if it's still activated), but it was under his bed, and he didn't go out shooting at people. So if anything punishment should warrant a slap on the wrist, (like the police have had knife/gun amnesies), but Qatada is able to roam the streets. Like my ex soldier friend said that in a war if it's fighting in an urban area, there's a risk that unarmed civillians get caught in the crossfire, also the Taliban use women and children as human shields, so that makes a soldiers' job even more difficult. It seems as if the Rules of Engagement are "be nice to terrorists". I know that the government get our soldiers to fight their pathetic little wars for them (if the politicians and bankers had to fight their own wars they start there wouldn't be any more war), and when our soldeirs come home injured either physically or mentally they're neglected, there's veterans sleeping on the streets,as they're denied a council house. It's so wrong that veterans have to rely on charity for the help they need, as successive governments have neglected our troops and veterans over the years I believe they're happy to let the Bloody Sunday Paras carry the can for events of that fateful day, so I believe the Paras are the innocent party made out to be the scapegoat here. Maybe on that issue we'll have to agree to disagree, but I 100% agree with you our government has a duty of care to our military serving and veterans til the day they die, after all they risk life limb and sanity, and they shouldn't have to rely on charity help!!!

Brianna May-Taylor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Fri May 09, 2014 4:40 pm

Elessar

Previous

Return to Views Of The World