Electronic cigarettes

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Electronic cigarettes

Postby fairydandy » Tue May 17, 2011 2:26 pm

play it cool wrote:Out of the 204 posts in this thread, 61 are by Icy, someone who has never smoked, is not in need of an electronic cigarette and yet has managed to turn another thread into being about her...

:sleepy:

I'm starting smoking again...

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Tue May 17, 2011 11:38 pm

icy never made this thread, nor did she turn it to be all about her. It's the rest of you going on and on and on, at her, that made this thread about her. She's supposed to just shut up and take the abuse from you all? She's not that kind of person.

Nor am I.

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 pm

People only see what and how they want to see things, Inny.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Wed May 18, 2011 12:00 am

Innuendoes wrote:icy never made this thread, nor did she turn it to be all about her. It's the rest of you going on and on and on, at her, that made this thread about her. She's supposed to just shut up and take the abuse from you all? She's not that kind of person.

Nor am I.

Well said Inny :D
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Thu May 19, 2011 8:17 am

Care to explain your edited post the other night LG? The one where you posted about my friends spreading things all over the board about me, that you were 'pretty sure' I didn't go to a mod about fd's post, because you could not have been further from the truth. You also have the wrong impression I/my friends ran PT and El from the board...you are wrong about that too. You hardly 'know' me LG, there are very few here who do after all is said and done.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Thu May 19, 2011 9:04 am

Lady Godiva wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:icy never made this thread, nor did she turn it to be all about her. It's the rest of you going on and on and on, at her, that made this thread about her. She's supposed to just shut up and take the abuse from you all? She's not that kind of person.

Nor am I.

fd, is this the sort of thing you meant when you said you'd have Inny and the rest of the angels of death beating down your door? :P

It's all well and good expressing the opinion that ice didn't turn the thread into being about her, but if you actually read it, it reveals, rather unambiguously, that she did...with quotes such as this…
ice on fire wrote:Of all things on the board, I hate debating/fighting/whatever about cancer, so I will say this and leave you to it. If a smoker or non smoker ends up with cancer, it's tragic, and I for one will care.

…and this….
ice on fire wrote:It is very personal as it very well is to most who have posted in this thread. But go on, have it your way, and your way only!

It isn't just about this thread anyway and the attention-seeking. It's the constant hints at something terrible, but forbidden to be spoken of. A perfect example in the laser eye surgery thread:

ice on fire wrote:Elessar...please don't mention power tools and surgery :nervous:. Good luck if you go for it(<-honest), its not an easy choice to make.

And judging by a number of other responses in this thread, I'm not the only one who has noticed as much....

You want angels of death, you just might get them. Just KNOCK IT OFF!

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 am

Again LG you don't know me. You haven't even tried to do so~your reply to me above is uncalled for. To say the very least! :x
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby lord of all darkness » Thu May 19, 2011 10:25 pm

I gave up the gaspers over 10 years ago. Cold turkey was the way. In fact, i was able to challenge my will power by holding others at the pub. The only way to quit smoking is by will power, YOU have to really want it bad enough. Otherwise the little voice in your head will say, "you need one, just get through the bad day i'm having".

As for the little fights in this thread. Icy, you need a break from this place. You are taking things way too personally. Inny, It's obvious that LG is baiting you. Lg, i thought arguments and fights on QOL were beneath you? I also thought that you were blissfully happy in RL to get involved in QOL fights? fd, as usual i agree with what you've said. LBN, good luck to you.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby lord of all darkness » Thu May 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Broooklyn wrote:It is only May and it looks as though Icy is well on her way to a 2nd year at the top spot of QOL's biggest loon/pain in the ass.

Lets look at the previous years award winners, starting from 2005 when the award was first awarded:

2005: Innuendoes
2006: Isis
2007: Innuendoes
2008: AutumnGirlLybbie
2009: Innuendoes
2010: Ice on Fire
2011: ??? (Icy [AKA Ice on Fire/Mellon Collie] is leading the pack by a wide margin)

Where did ISIS get to? I see icy is now a back to back winner.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:31 am

Ok, after more or less failing to kick the habit without aid, I'm buying an electronic cigarette and depots without nicotine today. I'm smoking the lightest cigarettes available anyway, so should be doing fine without nicotine.

Wish me luck!
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:36 am

Wishing you luck as always :bigups:!
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:19 pm

Been on my first menthol no nicotine depot all day and haven't even thought about having a cigarette.

Oh and it's a weird feeling "smoking" at home in my flat, because I never used to.
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:53 am

Pastieman.Steve wrote:Has anybody in QOL land heard about these or better still used them?

After 35 years of smoking, and many attempts to give up I think I might have found something that actually works (well for me any way) in the form of electronic cigarettes. I have tried gum which tastes horrible, patches which are a bastard to light and even when used properly didnt do anything for me, even tried going cold turkey, less said about that the better really. Then about 2 weeks ago I came across these on the interweb, after doing a lot of reading about them last week I brought a starter kit which cost £45 but wow it is working for me, I have cut down from 20-25 a day to just 5 max, (best so far was 3), so I am going to blow my own trumpet and pat myself on the back as I did that literally over night.

These E-cigs are a substitute, they look like a cig, inside the filter there is a amount of nicotine which is burnt by an atomizer powered by rechargeable batteries housed in the bit where the baccie would go, you just inhale and vapour instead of smoke comes out. Apart from being a bit heavy they dont have the thousands of chemicals normal cigs have, just the nicotine, they cost far less, approx a pack of 5 filters = 150 cigs for £9 instead of about £44. So not only will I eventually give up (well thats the hope) I will save approx £1800 pa :shock: be healthier and wont stink of fag smoke.
Most of my smoking was habit and having something to do with my hands (no rude comments please :P ), I still at the moment want a real fag after meals and first thing in the morning, but during the day I just puff on the E-cig and feel like I have had a ciggie.

I am not posting this so people can say well done you, but to find out if others have used them and if so how did you get on with them, also it might be helpful to others like me who want to give up.
If I can cut back that much over night after 35 years then I am sure others can do it, and I will be the first to admit I had little/no will power to want to cut down/give up before.

Did you ever manage to quit?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby queenb1656 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 pm

I have no intention of quitting, life is about enjoyment and i enjoy the occasional ciggie.

Don't smoke much anyway.

queenb1656
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:14 am

This is a bit weird:

http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/69067

So what exactly is Noel's point? He's saying there's something wrong with smoking electronic cigarettes. Why is that? I can only really think of two reasons.

1) It is indulging an addiction, and not setting a good example for the children. This is unlikely, as it is at least an attempt to curb an addiction and to make it less dangerous, and presumably he make a point of doing it in public.

2) E-cigarettes are uncool, and by corollary, cigarettes are cool.

No, Noel, they're not cool any more. They cause cancer and COPD and other horrible illnesses. People can smoke if they really want to, that's fine, but it is definitely not cool, and a rockstar trying to convince people that it is is distinctly uncool.

In the same article Gallagher praises David Bowie's new album. Chances are there'd be no new Bowie album if he hadn't reined in the drugs and cigarettes a few decades back.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World