What happens if we 100% legalise drugs?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: What happens if we 100% legalise drugs?

Postby P.T » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:40 pm

Nope, no science behind it at all. If you were really interested in doing harder drugs like heroin or crack, you probably already would be. Although I get the feeling that if you're young and impressionable and you've got a group of friends doing something without ill effect or something that isn't so dangerous, you would probably do it as well. There are a lot of hallucinogenic drugs out there which aren't really dangerous, but obviously there's a massive stigma attached to drug use, so people tend to assume anything beyond pot would probably kill them. And I'd say you're highly unlikely to seek these things out on your own either way.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:59 pm

I think that actually marijuana being illegal makes it a gateway drug to harder stuff. People who deal marijuana are likely to deal, or know someone who deals, harder stuff.

I don't think people use alcohol or tobacco as a starting point for moving onto illegal drugs, so I don't see why marijuana would take on that role if it became legal.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby fairydandy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:39 pm

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Channel 4, right now. Drugs Live: The Ecstasy Trial.

Volunteers are going to take MDMA as part of a scientific study (which presumably makes it legal). Should be interesting. Prof. David Nutt is involved.

My prediction is it has nowhere near as great an effect on them as enthusiasts might think it does.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Please PLEASE let this woman who's as high as a kite be on the placebo. Please.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby P.T » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:26 pm

What happened?

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:42 am

The priest had a bloody lovely time, saying she felt happy and euphoric and close to people, but strangely disconnected from god (so MDMA affects the rationality part of the brain, it seems!). The former SAS guy hated it, felt paranoid and distrusting of the scientists and was trying to fight the effects. The author liked it. The New Scientist editor also liked it. A psychiatric nurse actually took it live (the others were pre-recorded) and ended up giggling on the sofa with Dr Christian.

In tonight's episode, Jon Snow will be shooting up heroin, and the Banker will do today's Deal Or No Deal baked like a cake.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Elessar » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:47 am

The priest described it really nicely - said it was like everything was painted in oil rather than water colours. A rare occasion when someone describing their drug experience isn't mind-numbingly boring.
"And it was all like, so clear, but also so fuzzy, and I was having these amuuuuuzingly profound thoughts about the meaning of life and thpirituality and how we're all the same, but we're all different, and then, and then, I just chundered everywharrrr"

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:08 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:Weed...solves many problems, that wonderful plant. Relaxes an over-active mind, reduces the effects of depression...It even got me through a Will Ferrell movie once.

Very, very true.

I used to be a massive drinker and then discovered weed a little later on in life - I hardly touch alcohol anymore, as I find a weekly smoke a million times better (for a multitude of reasons).

And I have never laughed as much as when I partake in de herb. Which makes a bleedin' change cause I is a miserable bastard most of the time! God bless it!

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby P.T » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:37 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:And I have never laughed as much as when I partake in de herb. Which makes a bleedin' change cause I is a miserable bastard most of the time! God bless it!

Me too. It turns me into a normal human being! Otherwise generally, I am quite miserable, it takes a lot for me to laugh.

Last time I was in Holland, a Dutch mate gave me one of the strongest strains and I got through half of it before deciding I'd had enough. Now THAT was a good night I tell ya!

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:37 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:And I have never laughed as much as when I partake in de herb. Which makes a bleedin' change cause I is a miserable bastard most of the time! God bless it!

Me too. It turns me into a normal human being! Otherwise generally, I am quite miserable, it takes a lot for me to laugh.

Last time I was in Holland, a Dutch mate gave me one of the strongest strains and I got through half of it before deciding I'd had enough. Now THAT was a good night I tell ya!

Ha ha, love it! :lol: You know, I've still never been to Holland but alot of mates have, and they all tell me how superior the bud is out there - just more expensive (as is all food and drink, I've heard!).

To be honest, I discovered the glory that is weed alot later in life than my friends - those that smoke it have been smoking it since their late teens; whereas I only started few years back at the grand old age of 34. I now feel that if we had pubs where it was legal to smoke instead of drink, there would be no trouble out there at all.

What I love about a smoke is the fact that I can have a lovely night with the other half just staying in with a Ricky Gervais/Jimmy Carr/Stewart Francis (God, he's bloody great!) dvd, some munch and a few fat ones - we will have a much more enjoyable evening than struck in some shitty old pub with pissheads and boring, predictable conversation. Time to roll my evening's smokes methinks... :)

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby P.T » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:34 pm

I was the original starter of this thread before I asked for my account (and all my posts) to be deleted and I kind of advocated the legalisation of cannabis in my original post :P

I would gladly smoke it here from time to time if only I knew where to get it, much nicer than getting pissed in the pub, but it seems like you have to know someone who knows someone and there's probably some criminal element involved and I wouldn't know where to start.

Legally licensed premises in the UK would generate tourism, generate tax, seriously reduce crime rates (as cannabis is mega popular and you can guarantee that many of the commercial growers out there are criminals), increase the health of drug users (I swear Holland doesn't have the same problem as we do regarding mental health issues vs. weed smoking and it's all down to the way our British criminals are preparing it), save the government/police a huge amount of time and money, perhaps even reduce alcohol related crimes. It seems a great idea all round.

The Dutch wanted to bring in a weed pass stopping tourists from buying it in places like Amsterdam and wanted to make it a members-only thing. They trialled it In the southern provinces and there was an increase in the number of criminals pushing sales on the streets. So they decided in the interests of safety and crime rates not to introduce it nationwide. I think that says everything doesn't it?

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:11 am

A difficult and complex issue to which there is no simple answer. However, legalising drugs will probably be a vote-loser for a considerable amount of time, so I just can't see it happening. Obviously these decisions should be science-lead, but again, that just won't happen because the country isn't run by scientists.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby musicalprostitute » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:13 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:I was the original starter of this thread before I asked for my account (and all my posts) to be deleted and I kind of advocated the legalisation of cannabis in my original post :P

I would gladly smoke it here from time to time if only I knew where to get it, much nicer than getting pissed in the pub, but it seems like you have to know someone who knows someone and there's probably some criminal element involved and I wouldn't know where to start.

Legally licensed premises in the UK would generate tourism, generate tax, seriously reduce crime rates (as cannabis is mega popular and you can guarantee that many of the commercial growers out there are criminals), increase the health of drug users (I swear Holland doesn't have the same problem as we do regarding mental health issues vs. weed smoking and it's all down to the way our British criminals are preparing it), save the government/police a huge amount of time and money, perhaps even reduce alcohol related crimes. It seems a great idea all round.

The Dutch wanted to bring in a weed pass stopping tourists from buying it in places like Amsterdam and wanted to make it a members-only thing. They trialled it In the southern provinces and there was an increase in the number of criminals pushing sales on the streets. So they decided in the interests of safety and crime rates not to introduce it nationwide. I think that says everything doesn't it?

Yeh, I heard about the proposed idea in Amsterdam with regards to stopping tourists from buying it - so they are not introducing it now? As you quite rightly say, it does 'say everything'.

My best friend lived in Amsterdam for a few years and he absolutely loved it. Not just the smoking element, I may add, but just the more laidback, friendly way of life over there. He used to pop in for a coffee with a couple of the red light 'ladies' over there - so you could say he got to know them pretty well! ;) He also told me how many beautiful places there are to visit over there. I really must go one day. But for now I will have to do with Cardiff and Essex (wahey!).

I know what you mean with reference to procuring it. It is a bit of a bitch until you find someone you can truly trust to supply - never forget when I first moved down to cardiff few years back, the people I bought from must of known I was quite new to it because, looking back with a more knowledgeable eye now, they sold me an ounce of absolute floor dust (complete damp stemmy dregs!). They were the days.... :lol:

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Lino » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:00 pm

If the US legalize marijuana, the cartels and mafia organizations that dominate Central and Latin America will loose their business. That's a valid point.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World