In the news today (North American version)

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby JLP » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Kes wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Kes wrote:Can't beat a good conspiracy theory, can you?

And the KGB going on Facebook and firing up a few million 16-20 year old disillusioned kids, is a fucking good conspiracy theory. Hilary Clinton is an evil fire breathing dragon that eats babies! Almost works for me!

Where on earth did you ever hear that the KGB was on FB recruiting people? That's a new one if I ever heard it. :lol:

Who said ANYTHING about "recruiting" people?

Seriously, I'd like to know.

The urban dictionary defines the phrase "to fire someone up", as to motivate them to do something that they otherwise might not do, in this case, if you'd been following what has been said, to go out and vote against the "dragon lady Clinton who for the sake of the discussion, might eat babies".

Or allegedly has people killed.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby CNB » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:23 am

Speaking of conspiracy theories, I am becoming convinced that Donald is in fear of Vladimir and that is why he doesn’t dare cross him or ever speak against him!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 am

OMG!

BREAKING: 7.6 magnitude earthquake shakes the Caribbean Sea, tsunami advisories issued.

This is less than the last thing they needed. Puerto Rico will be hit. :(

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... s.facebook
Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am

It's fine, you've got your best man on the job:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/o ... -out-of-10

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby JLP » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:47 am

Having looked at the news that Trump says he will beat Oprah in 2020, I checked the odds last night. Amazingly she is second fav to win at odds of 10/1. Trumpy is 5/2
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:32 pm

Roger wrote:It's fine, you've got your best man on the job:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/o ... -out-of-10

Just saw the link for The Guardian website. Enough said. Ugh.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Freeyyaa » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Kes wrote:The human race.

...for diving into information technology the way it has, without taking into account the implications of doing so.

We've created all these social media platforms that terrorists and antagonists can hide in, communicate with each other, and arrange anti-social activity within, and there isn't much we can do to stop it.

Look at the biggest terrorist act ever. Carried out with a handful of people armed with craft knives. They didn't even need any proper weapons, they just used stuff that was already there, ie society's hardware against itself.

And what should we do to this race?
Ég er Freeyyaa, forystukona valkirja og norskra skogarkatta.

Freeyyaa
Spread Your Wings

Je morderai et griflerai tout le monde

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:54 pm

JLP wrote:Having looked at the news that Trump says he will beat Oprah in 2020, I checked the odds last night. Amazingly she is second fav to win at odds of 10/1. Trumpy is 5/2

Last year or a bit longer than that, Oprah said the only way to end racism is that all old white people have to die. Do you agree?

Here, maybe other places as well, white people are apologizing for being white and shaming whites for being white. Are you ashamed of yourself because you're white?

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:01 am

Innuendoes wrote:
JLP wrote:Having looked at the news that Trump says he will beat Oprah in 2020, I checked the odds last night. Amazingly she is second fav to win at odds of 10/1. Trumpy is 5/2

Last year or a bit longer than that, Oprah said the only way to end racism is that all old white people have to die. Do you agree?

Here, maybe other places as well, white people are apologizing for being white and shaming whites for being white. Are you ashamed of yourself because you're white?

phpBB [video]

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

Postby icy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:08 am

I can't post a link, but 17 deaths due to mudslides in California.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Location: The one where you be the first to forget and the last to remember...

Postby JLP » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 am

Innuendoes wrote:

No but I am ashamed that a minority of white people are undoubtedly racist. And that some white people deny racism exists.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Last year or a bit longer than that, Oprah said the only way to end racism is that all old white people have to die. Do you agree?

I saw that and immediately had to look it up, because A) I doubt it and B) if she really had said that, why I am only hearing about it now? Surely there would have been all kinds of outrage...I would have been outraged about that.

And, it turns out, she didn't say it. The supposed comments were from a BBC interview in 2013. She actually said this:

Of course the problem is not solved. As long as people can be judged by the color of their skin, the problem’s not solved. As long as there are people who still… And there’s a whole generation — I said this for apartheid South Africa, I said this for my own community in the South — there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die.

Snopes's comment in that article I got it from:

It’s valid, given the context, to infer that the majority of the people Winfrey was talking about are white, but invalid to infer that her remarks targeted all older white people, or only older white people. In other words, those accusing Winfrey of racism draw a false equivalence between “generations marinated in racism” and “all older white people.”

However contentious and impolitic it may have been for Winfrey to claim that older generations steeped in prejudice will have to die before the problem of racism can be solved, the objection that it was racist of her to say so is absurd.

ETA: I now see you even posted the video where she says that. (stupid WiFi I'm on blocks Google, so I have to turn my VPN on to access YouTube!) So, you knew what she said yourself. I thought you were maybe just getting that from some conservative site that blows things way out of proportion.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Exactly. Any threat to Trump must immediately be discredited at all costs.

It was a silly thing to say though, because that kind of comment is very easily misrepresented. I guess a sign of true political skill is not just to never say anything controversial; but to never say anything perfectly reasonable that could be misrepresented as controversial. And that's clearly a bit of a tight-rope.

Also she's unfortunately wrong anyway. There are plenty of racists in their 20s and 30s. Maybe their minds are slightly more malleable, but I think that might be overly optimistic.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:46 pm

I've just seen Oprah's Golden Globes speech. It's good, and I agree with everything she says, but given all the hype I was a little bit disappointed. It didn't blow me away like Obama's 2004 keynote speech did.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Last year or a bit longer than that, Oprah said the only way to end racism is that all old white people have to die. Do you agree?

I saw that and immediately had to look it up, because A) I doubt it and B) if she really had said that, why I am only hearing about it now? Surely there would have been all kinds of outrage...I would have been outraged about that.

And, it turns out, she didn't say it. The supposed comments were from a BBC interview in 2013. She actually said this:

Of course the problem is not solved. As long as people can be judged by the color of their skin, the problem’s not solved. As long as there are people who still… And there’s a whole generation — I said this for apartheid South Africa, I said this for my own community in the South — there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it, in that prejudice and racism, and they just have to die.

Snopes's comment in that article I got it from:

It’s valid, given the context, to infer that the majority of the people Winfrey was talking about are white, but invalid to infer that her remarks targeted all older white people, or only older white people. In other words, those accusing Winfrey of racism draw a false equivalence between “generations marinated in racism” and “all older white people.”

However contentious and impolitic it may have been for Winfrey to claim that older generations steeped in prejudice will have to die before the problem of racism can be solved, the objection that it was racist of her to say so is absurd.

ETA: I now see you even posted the video where she says that. (stupid WiFi I'm on blocks Google, so I have to turn my VPN on to access YouTube!) So, you knew what she said yourself. I thought you were maybe just getting that from some conservative site that blows things way out of proportion.

What is the point of this if you already checked it out and see that she actually did say it? And maybe there were things that she said that were cut from the reporting sites so that it looked like her words were twisted.

As far as Snopes, they are very left leaning and have been known to NOT tell the truth about certain matters. They've been being called out on the rug for YEARS for it.

I am very rushed and having to go back and forth between here and somewhere else but I will just let you read this instead since you and everyone else in this thread, except perhaps one person, won't believe a thing I say, anyway.

Legal Battle Could Kill Fact-Check Site Snopes.com

https://www.pcmag.com/news/355144/legal ... snopes-com

Innuendoes
I Want To Break Free

LEMONed I Scream

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World