In the news today (North American version)

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: In the news today (North American version)

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:51 pm

Roger wrote:Exactly. Any threat to Trump must immediately be discredited at all costs.

It was a silly thing to say though, because that kind of comment is very easily misrepresented. I guess a sign of true political skill is not just to never say anything controversial; but to never say anything perfectly reasonable that could be misrepresented as controversial. And that's clearly a bit of a tight-rope.

Also she's unfortunately wrong anyway. There are plenty of racists in their 20s and 30s. Maybe their minds are slightly more malleable, but I think that might be overly optimistic.

Excuse me?!? I watched that interview with Oprah at the very time she gave that statement and that was far before Trump was on the scene or even considered as a candidate for president, let alone the Republican contender. At least a year if not years before!

My statement has NOTHING to do with Trump, at all, period!

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm

Roger wrote:I've just seen Oprah's Golden Globes speech. It's good, and I agree with everything she says, but given all the hype I was a little bit disappointed. It didn't blow me away like Obama's 2004 keynote speech did.

I saw it too and I have to say it was brilliant! She's a very good actress, though. Damn good, in fact - one of the best.

I've always liked Oprah except when she led MJ in an interview or two that twisted his words and left some of what was actually said by him out of what was actually said, off the interview. In other words, she asked questions, he answered, she left some of his responses to her questions out of what was shown to the public, making him look very bad. And he was shocked at what she had done to him.

Innuendoes

Postby CNB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Trump actually used the word “shithole” today! Can you Republicans please get rid of this horrible man from the White House?
IT'S LATE !!!!!
WHO WANTS TO LIVE FOREVER !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby Roger » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 pm

CNB wrote:Trump actually used the word “shithole” today! Can you Republicans please get rid of this horrible man from the White House?

Inb4 someone posts a clip of Obama dropping the f-bomb in the audiobook of Dreams From My Father as if that’s somehow comparable.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby CNB » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Roger wrote:
CNB wrote:Trump actually used the word “shithole” today! Can you Republicans please get rid of this horrible man from the White House?

Inb4 someone posts a clip of Obama dropping the f-bomb in the audiobook of Dreams From My Father as if that’s somehow comparable.

Trump said that in the Oval Office as the President of the United States. His Birther background and hatred of Obama is not an accident or mistake. He is a bigot and white supremacist.
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby CNB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:25 am

I didn’t want to believe how much of a racist Trump is when he went after Obama’s birth certificate and how hateful he has been towards him since being elected but after today I believe it 100%.

He is obviously cracking up and needs to be committed!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby WeeMann » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:36 am

In happier news, he's cancelled his planned trip to the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42657954
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Roger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:46 am

Hmm - criticism of Trump’s many flaws is a bit diminished when he’s criticised for literally anything. I don’t think there’s much evidence that he’s racist. I think there’s plenty of evidence, however, that he’s Islamophobic. The Obama birth certificate thing was more about his father being Muslim than his father being black, in my opinion.

Doesn’t make it any better of course, but it’s inportant to be accurate otherwise it’s easy for his fans to counter the claims with evidence that Trump has no problem with black people.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Roger wrote:Hmm - criticism of Trump’s many flaws is a bit diminished when he’s criticised for literally anything. I don’t think there’s much evidence that he’s racist. I think there’s plenty of evidence, however, that he’s Islamophobic. The Obama birth certificate thing was more about his father being Muslim than his father being black, in my opinion.

I agree (*checks pulse*). Criticising an individual for all and everything (especially if there is no solid proof) really does diminish the criticisms of their true prejudices, etc. I have seen no evidence of Trump being racist (so far!) - saying that, I avoid mostly anything about him so am no expert on the guy; but, yes, he certainly has issues with Muslims - there can be no doubt about that.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Roger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:38 pm

Even the ‘shithole’ comment isn’t particularly racist - I’d probably describe some countries in those terms as well - but it’s incredibly un-presidential.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Roger wrote:Even the ‘shithole’ comment isn’t particularly racist - I’d probably describe some countries in those terms as well - but it’s incredibly un-presidential.

Unpresidential is the word which frequently pops up in my head whenever I hear or read something he has said: he just comes across as a complete amateur with absolutely no clue on how to act in his role (I mean, that little Twitter spat with Kim Jong-un - I literally had to pinch myself).

I recall thinking how embarrassing Bush Jr was at the time, but this is on a whole new level.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby JLP » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Now he is denying saying it. What a complete twat.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby CNB » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Trump defended the neo Nazis who were marching with torches in Charlottesville, Virginia calling them “very fine people” even after a woman was run over and killed by one of them! It’s not just about black and brown people and Obama. He has slammed Mexicans, Haitians, Nigerians, the black NFL players. Unfortunately, there are Americans who enable him and approve of his vile ways!
IT'S LATE !!!!!
SPREAD YOUR WINGS !!!!!

CNB
Somebody To Love

Postby The__KingOfRhye » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:39 pm

Innuendoes wrote:What is the point of this if you already checked it out and see that she actually did say it? And maybe there were things that she said that were cut from the reporting sites so that it looked like her words were twisted.

As far as Snopes, they are very left leaning and have been known to NOT tell the truth about certain matters. They've been being called out on the rug for YEARS for it.

I am very rushed and having to go back and forth between here and somewhere else but I will just let you read this instead since you and everyone else in this thread, except perhaps one person, won't believe a thing I say, anyway.

Legal Battle Could Kill Fact-Check Site Snopes.com

https://www.pcmag.com/news/355144/legal ... snopes-com

First of all, I didn't check the video until after I had written most of that post. That was what I talking about, I couldn't even see what it was until I turned my VPN on, thanks to the stupid WiFi that blocks Google, which means I can't get to YouTube, along with a bunch of other stuff that you wouldn't realize goes through Google for some reason.

But, the video actually helps MY point, because she said exactly what Snopes said she did. So, how is Snopes "not telling the truth" here? At most, you might disagree with their assessment of the interview that I quoted, but that's not a matter of telling the truth or not, that's their opinion, and I don't think they're claiming it is anything but that.

The__KingOfRhye
The Show Must Go On

Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Postby Roger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 pm

The__KingOfRhye wrote:First of all, I didn't check the video until after I had written most of that post. That was what I talking about, I couldn't even see what it was until I turned my VPN on, thanks to the stupid WiFi that blocks Google, which means I can't get to YouTube, along with a bunch of other stuff that you wouldn't realize goes through Google for some reason.

But, the video actually helps MY point, because she said exactly what Snopes said she did. So, how is Snopes "not telling the truth" here? At most, you might disagree with their assessment of the interview that I quoted, but that's not a matter of telling the truth or not, that's their opinion, and I don't think they're claiming it is anything but that.

It's straight out of the Trump playbook. If you discredit a source enough, be it CNN, Snopes or whatever, then even when they present something undoctored and in its purest form (eg the actual footage of the Oprah interview), it will be labelled as #FakeNews, as has been so expertly demonstrated here.

Roger
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World