9/11 - Ten Years Later

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

9/11 - Ten Years Later

Postby Hueyqueen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:06 pm

It's hard to believe that it has already been ten years since that fateful day back in 2001. I was still quite young at the time, still in high school actually. I heard about the first plane in my first morning class. I saw the plane hit the second tower live on TV in gym class. We didn't know what was going on but after the second plane hit, it was clear it wasn't an accident. I heard about the Pentagon crash at lunch. I didn't hear about United 93 in Pennsylvania until I got home from school. I don't remember much about the next couple of days, except for the oddness of zero air travel because I live fairly near O'Hare Airport. The constant news coverage got to be a little much at times. I didn't know anyone personally who died in any of the attacks but I knew friends of friends. It's peculiar to think of the amount of patriotism that existed in the weeks afterwards, even if some of it was hate disguised as pseudo-patriotism. I grew up with a kid of Arab decent who was indirectly discriminated against. I still feel bad for him having to go through that. A lot has changed in ten years; the song "Is This The World We Created" comes to mind.

That's all I have to say. Open discussion, feel free to say what you want.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Hueyqueen
The Show Must Go On

Re: 9/11 - Ten Years Later

Postby Champs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Remember that Tuesday afternoon, getting in from work, switching on the news and.... :shock:
YES INDEED!

Champs
We Will Rock You

Grumbling

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:16 pm

I felt really emotional that day. I just cried and cried at the sheer desperate sadness of it all.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Quite simply a time(not just the day) I will never forget.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby play it cool » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Hard to believe it's 10 years, I remember the day so well - not just the event but what I was up to when not watching the coverage. I took the dog out for a long walk, in the English countryside, and everyone I met wanted to just talk about it.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Zappanalé » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:52 pm

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 42191.html

The most interesting 9/11 article I've found so far

A number of analysts have observed that although bin Laden was finally killed, he won some major successes in his war against the US. "He repeatedly asserted that the only way to drive the US from the Muslim world and defeat its satraps was by drawing Americans into a series of small but expensive wars that would ultimately bankrupt them," Eric Margolis writes.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:27 am

I can remember that day as though it happened yesterday.

I'd just come home from attending a hospital appointment.Switched on the tv to Sky News and just at that moment they had breaking news that a plane had crashed into one of the towers at the World Trade Center.I'll never forget that.And the awful scenes that followed.The first tower coming down,i was in tears.Praying for the people inside that building.The people in that plane.Their loved ones.Everyone involved.And then i saw the second plane going into the other tower and felt a lot worse.Then when that tower went down,the tears were flooding.Couldnt believe what i was seeing.

I have seen a lot of atrocities in my life but i hope i never see anything like that again.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:10 am

RogerMeadowstailor wrote:I can remember that day as though it happened yesterday.

I'd just come home from attending a hospital appointment.Switched on the tv to Sky News and just at that moment they had breaking news that a plane had crashed into one of the towers at the World Trade Center.I'll never forget that.And the awful scenes that followed.The first tower coming down,i was in tears.Praying for the people inside that building.The people in that plane.Their loved ones.Everyone involved.And then i saw the second plane going into the other tower and felt a lot worse.Then when that tower went down,the tears were flooding.Couldnt believe what i was seeing.

I have seen a lot of atrocities in my life but i hope i never see anything like that again.

Not wanting to dampen your memories, but the first tower to collapse, was the second one that got hit. That means you couldn't have seen one collapse before the second plane hit, as both towers went down after both the planes had hit. It's OK. I saw those towers collapse about 100 times on TV that day, on virtual repeat, so it's easy to get things out of sequence.

"The South Tower collapsed at 9:59 a.m. after burning for 56 minutes in a fire caused by the impact of United Airlines Flight 175 at 9:03 a.m. The North Tower collapsed at 10:28 a.m. after burning for 102 minutes, following the impact of American Airlines Flight 11 at 8:46 a.m."

This was probably due to the mass of the buildings "above" their respective impact points. The South Tower got hit much lower down, and therefore had many more tons of mass above point where the structure eventually failed. Added to the fact that the impact speed of the second aircraft was a lot higher than the first.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:36 am

Kes wrote:
RogerMeadowstailor wrote:I can remember that day as though it happened yesterday.

Not wanting to dampen your memories, but the first tower to collapse, was the second one that got hit. That means you couldn't have seen one collapse before the second plane hit, as both towers went down after both the planes had hit. It's OK. I saw those towers collapse about 100 times on TV that day, on virtual repeat, so it's easy to get things out of sequence.

"The South Tower collapsed at 9:59 a.m. after burning for 56 minutes in a fire caused by the impact of United Airlines Flight 175 at 9:03 a.m. The North Tower collapsed at 10:28 a.m. after burning for 102 minutes, following the impact of American Airlines Flight 11 at 8:46 a.m."

This was probably due to the mass of the buildings "above" their respective impact points. The South Tower got hit much lower down, and therefore had many more tons of mass above point where the structure eventually failed. Added to the fact that the impact speed of the second aircraft was a lot higher than the first.

Kes.You are right.

All i can remember was seeing the tower coming down and praying for the people inside and crying too.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:49 am

There were many emotions that day, especially as an aircraft engineer, and that although it was thousands of miles away, potentially seeing something that could radically change your own personal life. Within a couple of weeks of that happening, Virgin had made hundreds of engineers redundant, BA had lost millions, and hardly anybody was employing free-lance engineers. Luckily for me, I was permanent with one of the few airlines in the UK that turned over a profit that year, but it doesn't stop you feeling for your mates who weren't as fortunate.

I felt for the emergency services in NYC, who while other people were scrambling out of the towers, they were bravely going in there, doing their jobs. The poor people stuck above the impact points, who rather than burn, jumped to certain death. I think in their situation, I'd probably have done the same.

I watched the "celebrations" of Arab communities on the news, with the women doing that tongue holler thing they do, just thinking "You f*cking stupid people" as they seemed to have no idea that the act they were celebrating had woken a monster that could do serious damage to their kind.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby lord of all darkness » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:37 am

Thinking of all those that lost loved ones in this barbaric disgusting act.
BAN them!

lord of all darkness
We Will Rock You

You are a pussy! I said show me your war face!

Postby icy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:02 pm

I am watching VHS tapes that I taped of news coverage of 9/11. Heartbreaking in most cases. I am thinking of those people who were killed or injured and their loved ones as well.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Simon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:18 pm

Without writing too much about what shit the world is in today because of this, thinking about what it was like to hear about this reminded me of two things:
1) This was the very first time that I dared to wake up my dad. He was in bed because he was scheduled for nightshift that day and usually slept until 4pm. When I slowly realized what happened, I knew that this is something I want my father to know instantly and I woke him up with the words "America is under attack!" He was very confused and annoyed that I woke him up because it did not make sense... Airplanes, WTC, war... But he wasn't angry at me... he at first tried to sleep again but something must have kept him awake and soon he came downstairs to see the unbelievable...
2) The anchorman of the German TV channel I watched: He was obviously devastated, tried to remain calm, but he clearly had no idea what was happening. The bizarre nature of it all: Sitting in front of screens and watching that plane crash into the tower again and again and again... and then suddenly thinking the repetitions go on and on you suddenly have a live picture and you see another plane hitting the other tower... Then the anchorman was clearly confused and really nervous trying to be as calm as possible. Then Pentagon, then the fourth plane that was supposed to hit the white house... It was dangerously close to a really unrealistic Hollywood movie...
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Champs » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:27 pm

The worst bit [for me as a viewer], was when the first tower collapsed. All we got was helicopter footage of some dirty orange cloud emitting from Manhattan - with radio silence for what seemed like an eternity. My initial thoughts were that they've detonated a dirty bomb...and for a short few seconds, I went into panic mode as I feared the repercussions. Then to discover the tower had collapsed dispelled my fear into awe at such a catastrophic event was happening before my very eyes. To have been around that city on that very day must have been a truly terrifying experience. Words don't really sum up how it must have been there on the ground I suppose. The sheer devastation in such a magnificent city really hit the world hard. My heart goes out to all those involved that day.
YES INDEED!

Champs
We Will Rock You

Grumbling

Postby Isolde Jane Holland » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:00 pm

I remember waking up on Sept. 12 2001, or rather in that no-man's-land between totally asleep and beginning to waken, and naturally my first foggy thoughts were of the previous day's events. And it seemed so incomprehensibly horrible that for a moment I was persuaded that I had imagined it all, some overblown masochistic persecution fantasy. I prayed for that to be the case. Think about it: I would rather know myself to be insane than have it be true. But then I turned on the tv.

I remember about eleven days later going to the library and the librarian handing me a new mystery she had set aside for me, since I'd read most of the series. That night I sat down with that book and tried to read it, but after twenty minutes of staring at the first page I gave up; all I could see was planes flying into buildings and people clinging to ledges waving scarves and then jumping or falling, and dazed family members stumbling around city streets holding out pictures,"Have you seen....?" I thought, is this what the rest of my life is going to be, an endless loop of these horrors? Of course, that has not happened. I got past it. But nothing except the Holocaust has troubled me so deeply. And I didn't live through that.

Isolde Jane Holland
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Views Of The World