9/11 - Ten Years Later

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: 9/11 - Ten Years Later

Postby Kes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:05 pm

As I think I broached around earlier, they obviously didn't have a nuclear physicist on the payroll, or the target might have been a few miles down the road. They reckon a power station can survive a fairly hefty aircrash, however no-one would even consider lightning like that ever striking twice in an hour.

I think we've all seen by recent events in Japan how things like that can go a little bit pear-shaped when unexpected parameters happen.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 pm

I bet that they have chemists, engineers (and wasn't bin Laden linked to civil engineering?) in many areas, and bin Laden knows of economy.
Strangely, I just read that his father died in a plane crash in Saudi Arabia and that his brother also died from one in Texas.
How strange that such a tower can be so fragile in matters of structure. Why don't they build the skyscrapers from concrete like in normal houses, for more resistence?
One other thing, they knew how to ashame the enemy. The attacks were made in a consequent order, and not at the same time. First they took everyone's attention, and then everyone watched live, as a psychological wave...
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Simon » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:02 am

Kes wrote: If you think Al Qa'ida don't have a structural engineer on their books, I think you underestimate them.

How could one underestimate a group of people who are able to find people willing to die just to take some other people's lives with them?
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Isolde Jane Holland » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Lino wrote: Why don't they build the skyscrapers from concrete like in normal houses, for more resistence?

The new Liberty tower does have a concrete core. As for why the twin towers didn't, the architects and engineers who created them were sane and couldn't imagine anyone deliberately flying a commercial jet into the building; thus, they didn't design them for that contingency.

I like the memorial, and I hope I'll get to see it in person soon. I love fountains and waterfalls, and the sound of running water. I didn't know any of the victims, but when they were running the names and hometowns I noticed one from Newburgh: John Giordano, 46 years old. I'll put the flower by his name.

I actually have a funny 9/11 story, believe it or not. My cousin worked a couple of blocks from the Pentagon, and that morning he was wearing these new fancy leather shoes that were a total torment, kicked off the minute he sat down at his desk; 'shoe issues' must be an inherited family trait! Anyway, when the Pentagon was hit his boss sent everyone home, but his car was parked in an area that had been cordoned off by police and inaccessible. He had no choice but to walk the two miles home, but the shoes were so uncomfortable he took them off after a few hundred feet and made the journey barefoot. (He now keeps a pair of Nikes in his bottom drawer. Nice, old, broken-in ones! )

Isolde Jane Holland
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:55 pm

Simon wrote:
Kes wrote: If you think Al Qa'ida don't have a structural engineer on their books, I think you underestimate them.

How could one underestimate a group of people who are able to find people willing to die just to take some other people's lives with them?

One? I'm not sure of, but half of the known world managed it ten years ago, and that's why we're discussing it now.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Simon » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Touché
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Isolde Jane Holland » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:47 pm

A visit to the 9/11 memorial.

And the sign at the Chambers Street subway station. Notice how the 11 is the only part of the lettering in blue, -to resemble the two lost towers:

Isolde Jane Holland
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Views Of The World