Alcohol

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Alcohol

Postby Soul Brother » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:55 pm

Does anyone have issues with it?

I'm not an alcoholic and have never been dependent on it but it messes me up. I used to love getting fucked up on beer, whiskey, red wine and shots (in the same night) but I can't handle it anymore. I've essentially given up drinking and usually take the car on nights out now. I sometimes have the occasional lager but haven't been drunk since new year.

Has anyone else given up alcohol cos it disagrees with them?
Each morning I get up and die a little....
Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion
I feel like no one ever told the truth to me.
About growing up and what a struggle it would be....

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Re: Alcohol

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:31 am

I like to go to the pub to drink socially.Being in the house alone and nobody to talk to drives me nuts.So i like to have a couple of Guiness's and what we in Scotland call a blether(which means talking crap) :lol:
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Soul Brother » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:33 am

RogerMeadowstailor wrote:I like to go to the pub to drink socially.Being in the house alone and nobody to talk to drives me nuts.So i like to have a couple of Guiness's and what we in Scotland call a blether(which means talking crap) :lol:

I've edited my first post cos it wasn't very concise.

Where in Scotland are you from? :)

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:51 am

Yes, I did give it up for awhile, but went back to it. All I am willing to say on this part of the board.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Soul Brother » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 am

icy wrote:Yes, I did give it up for awhile, but went back to it. All I am willing to say on this part of the board.

I don't expect anyone to divulge personal/private info here and I'm not wanting to start an AA thread.

I was just wondering if (like me) anyone has had too many bad experiences that made them question why they do it. How many times have you woke up thinking "my god what did I do? I'm never drinking again!" Then actually stopped drinking. I drank socially for about 10 years before I decided to stop. A lot of the time I enjoyed myself but there were also many times I went overboard and made an arse of myself and was very ill the next day.

I woke up in someone's garden once and the police took me home. :cry: :oops:

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 am

I don't have much left to lose here any more, so here goes. When I drank I used to say things I normally would not. I don't mean hateful, just very personal things I'd tried to keep under wraps. When I drink these days(rare but it happens) it's to numb things....if that is understandable. If that is too personal, I apologise. Good on you for stopping, kudos to you for that :bigups: from my expernice it really is tough.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:04 am

Soul Brother wrote:
RogerMeadowstailor wrote:I like to go to the pub to drink socially.Being in the house alone and nobody to talk to drives me nuts.So i like to have a couple of Guiness's and what we in Scotland call a blether(which means talking crap) :lol:

Originally i'm from Glasgow.But i live in Ayrshire now.Which is south west of Glasgow.Are you from Scotland too.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Soul Brother » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:30 am

RogerMeadowstailor wrote:
Soul Brother wrote:

Originally i'm from Glasgow.But i live in Ayrshire now.Which is south west of Glasgow.Are you from Scotland too.

I'm from Midlothian but live in West Lothian now. :D

Soul Brother
Spread Your Wings

Postby Simon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:31 am

I guess I suffered from alcohol poisoning when I was 14. My parents were on holidays and I was drinking everything from their bar. I was vomiting for a couple of days and was just unable to do anything.
I didn't drink a drop of alcohol then until I was 19. I don't really get into that state when you don't really care what you're doing and you're sleeping with the first person who doesn't run away. I get tired or sick when I had too much. The timeframe where I like to socialze a bit more is very unstable. It usually takes one or two beer. After that it's really downhill more or less.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby EaP » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:55 pm

oohhh yeah, beer! i love it! :)

it used to get me into all sorts of trouble as a young man. lots of drunken punch-ups and general thuggery

just to let you know. any of you that think i had it all my own way, and was a bully. rest assured, i had more
than one good beating inflicted on me

the one that sticks out is waking up in the ambulance taking me to hospital, after being kicked in the head

i've cut down a lot nowadays of course, as i approach middle age

i consider myself lucky that i wasn't killed, or killed someone else

EaP
We Will Rock You

Postby Champs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:28 am

Enjoy the odd glass every now and then. But in recent times, getting drunk has unwanted side effects on my body and I'm not talking about hangovers. :!:
YES INDEED!

Champs
We Will Rock You

Grumbling

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:42 am

I think my attitudes have changed to it over the years.

I used to go out and have the occasional paralytic shed-on, just like everybody else, but can honestly say that from the get-go, I have never really liked the aftermath, like "the morning after" feeling, or the "Sorry, who are you, and where the f*ck am I?" questions to the people equally as brainf*cked around you. Rationally, why do we poison ourselves (intoxicating has the word "toxic" in it for a reason) and take on-board excessive quantities of something technically described as a depressant, in the name of sociability? The only sensible answer I can think of (without a couple of pints at least) is some masochistic form of escapism, and an attempt at freeing ourselves of our inhibitions.

I think possibly the hardest part some people have in dealing with it, is realising why, and what it is they feel the "need" to escape from, in the first place. A course in life they don't really want to be on? I dunno. :oops:
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Champs » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:46 am

You just need to look at some posts on facebook or twitter for example esp at the weekend and it's full of posts declaring they're going to get hammered with drink 'azz got the bottle of veno and azz totally wrecked'. [Trying not to sound like Amy from Emmerdale there]. I've told Mrs Champs to stop, but she never listens. :idea:
YES INDEED!

Champs
We Will Rock You

Grumbling

Postby Dusty » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 am

You raise some good points Kes. I've never mentioned this before, but at the time when I was going through my divorce and my mother died, I very nearly became an alcoholic. I needed company, feeling so alone as I did, and because my work coolleagues were regular pub-goers, I used to tag along with them, until I confused the well-natured feeling you get when you're a bit pissed with actual happiness, and then it didn't matter to me whether they were there or not. I realised what I was doing and how dangerous it was, and thought my parents wouldn't be too proud of me becoming a pisshead after all the love they'd given me in their lifetimes, so I stepped back from the brink. I cut right down to the occasional glass of wine with a meal, then as my health got its' own back, i gave it up altogether. I don't honestly miss it, and I feel much better now for not going down that path.

Dusty

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:02 am

When you're young, I can TOTALLY understand it.

It's something to do while you're out having fun, helps you to be talkative, when you might not naturally be so, helps to drop your normally rational standards both in terms of what you'll say and do, and who you'll say and do it with. Some could consider it a "necessity", and rightly so.

When you've finally found the person you think you want to spend the rest of your life communicating with, then it becomes something that either gets in the way of that, or goes a long way to completely wrecking it. I'm obviously talking about excesses here, and not a cosy glass of red wine, beside the fire, after a meal.

I guess it becomes even more confusing (and harder to get to grips with), when you've met that someone, WHILE in the act of getting pissed out of your head.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to Views Of The World