Alcohol

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Alcohol

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:31 am

I'm not against any mood changing drugs, can't be really, as I participate "elsewhere" (ie smoking).

A percentage of people who are considered by others to be alcoholics, do so, to "drown their sorrows". A great use of terminology. So, people who probably should be on anti-depressants, are busy getting stoked up on something that actually does the opposite, and society doesn't really make many waves over it. The only thing in favour of getting pissed when you're down, is if you go mad enough, you don't give a flying f*ck. However, it's a bit like handing a piece of rope to someone who's suicidal.

For the benefit alcohol occasionally does in some parts of society, significantly in large doses, it probably does a lot more harm. People waking up from unconsciousness, getting shagged by people that they wouldn't touch with a barge-pole. Punch-ups in a variety of places that wouldn't have otherwise happened. Wives (and husbands) on the receiving end of violence, that otherwise would not have happened. Sober people getting wiped out by not so sober people who think they can still drive.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby The Sixpence » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:34 pm

I've always been a bit ambivelent about alcohol. I've only ever been drunk twice - once on my 18th birthday and once at a leaving do after being made redundant and only ever had one hangover (the day after my 18th) but I took the view when I was about 19 that I was spending my (very little) wage on drinking at the weekend and not having anything to show for it. After that realisation I pretty much stopped drinking for a while. Now I drink very rarely. I can go months without having any alcohol and then I'll buy literally two bottles of lager or cider and drink them over two nights. Christmas is the only time of the year when I drink a little bit more but never any more than two bottles a night - and even then it's not every night.

The Sixpence

Postby JLP » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:13 pm

Currently not drinking at all at home. Now will only drink when I go out and that will be a max of once a week unless something special is on the cards.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby EaP » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:32 pm

i rarely go out to drink, i just sit in front of my pc getting bitter and twisted :lol:

EaP
We Will Rock You

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:11 am

Sometimes i go out in a Friday afternoon for a couple of Guinness's and a game of dominoes with my mates.

Yea i'm the guy in the corner wearing a flat cap and shouting"DRINK" and "ARSE" to anyone within ear shot. :lol:
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:44 am

Thats a report which,obviously,is aimed at those who go out to get pissed every day.Mind you,they wont be able to see that.Cos they will be too pissed.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Previous

Return to Views Of The World