Is this the real life, or is it just fantasy?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Is this the real life, or is it just fantasy?

Postby TheHero » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:03 am

What do you think?

- Is this the real life, or is it a dream?
- Is this the only World, or are there several dimensions.. ?
- Does our lives have a purpose, or are we living for nothing ?

This topic debates everything about life and the universe, it is up to YOU to share your views, please join and share your opinions, and maybe we get some interesting discussions :)
You really think they like to rock in space? Well, I don't know. What do you know?

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Re: Is this the real life, or is it just fantasy?

Postby JLP » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:44 am

TheHero wrote:What do you think?

This topic debates everything about life and the universe, it is up to YOU to share your views, please join and share your opinions, and maybe we get some interesting discussions :)

You go first then.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 am

There are those who are born successful and there are those who strive for success and achieve it.There are also those who fail.

There are those who go through life rather smoothly and there are those who have to go through the school of hard knocks

Which one are you?
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:48 am

Good questions and points, a part of me would like to answer, most of me thinks it's better if I don't. It's not like people like to read what I have to say these days anyway :sigh:.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:39 pm

RogerMeadowstailor wrote:There are those who go through life rather smoothly and there are those who have to go through the school of hard knocks

Which one are you?

I fall into the latter category!! :P :biggrin:
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby play it cool » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:12 pm

TheHero wrote:What do you think?

I think we are put on Earth by aliens who walk amongst us but only us true believers know of their existance.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby Kes » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 am

As feasible as anything else. Err, like the bible, for example.

Something's ALWAYS bugged me. If God created Adam & Eve, and they only had two sons, one of which killed the other, how did the human race propagate to around 7,000,000,000. Surely they would have had to have a daughter or two, and a bit of incest going on. I seriously wonder how ANYONE (let alone half the world's population) can believe such bollocks, when the first chapter has more vacant empty holes in it, than a bloody Aero bar.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WhiteMouse » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:43 pm

Kes wrote:As feasible as anything else. Err, like the bible, for example.

Something's ALWAYS bugged me. If God created Adam & Eve, and they only had two sons, one of which killed the other, how did the human race propagate to around 7,000,000,000. Surely they would have had to have a daughter or two, and a bit of incest going on. I seriously wonder how ANYONE (let alone half the world's population) can believe such bollocks, when the first chapter has more vacant empty holes in it, than a bloody Aero bar.

I must say that if you read Genesis with more attention, you'll find out that Adam & Eve had more children after that accident. ;-)

WhiteMouse

Postby Kes » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Whatever the new testament is to ANYBODY, even the most ardent believers have got to admit, the old testament is a load of fairy stories (which "might" have been plausible a thousand years ago) made to try and prequel it. "If" Adam and Eve existed, it would be unlikely they knew how to transcribe anything, and in the words of REO Speedwagon, we all know how "tales grow taller on down the line". Oceans parting, people being turned to pillars of salt, the eldest sons of an entire nation being struck down by a mystery disease, babies floating down the Nile in wicker baskets, etc, etc.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:45 pm

Actually, earlier this year scientists demonstrated how the Red Sea could have parted. Given the right conditions a tsunami could have given exactly the result described in the Bible.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:04 pm

Kes wrote:As feasible as anything else. Err, like the bible, for example.

I always thought that's totally weird.

Before Cain and Abel, there were only Adam and Eve and they had Cain and Abel. And then, after Cain kills Abel, God marks him "lest any finding him should kill him". Who's that any?!?! Cain then goes and finds a wife. Where did she come from?!?!?! And then suddenly, men have daughters and there's giants and Noah has to build an arch.

It's a mess, really, the individual stories have been woven into a story that, if you look at it closely, doesn't really make sense.

But then, on the other hand, according to Christian belief, the Old Testament doesn't make sense without the New Testament anyway, it's like a lock without a key.

Unfortunately, I haven't found the solutions for the OT problems in the NT. I must be reading it wrong!
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:06 pm

WeeMann wrote:Actually, earlier this year scientists demonstrated how the Red Sea could have parted. Given the right conditions a tsunami could have given exactly the result described in the Bible.

Nobody disputing that the stories might have a real event as their basis.

They're certainly over-exaggerated, though!
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby RogerMeadowstailor » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 pm

If you believe everything to be written in the bible as a true account of what actually happened,then i suppose they're more primitive way of thinking might have helped them to describe what was happening at that time.

Another example was,i think it was the Ancient Greeks that thought their moon goddess chased their sun god around the sky.Eventually catching up with him every so often.I stand to be corrected on that one.
I take only what is mine Lord, my pony, my squaw, and my child
I can't stay to see you die along with my tribe's pride
I go to search for the yellow moon and the fathers of our sons
Where the red sun sinks in the hills of gold and the healing waters run

RogerMeadowstailor
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 am

Let's just assume the people back then, had an STD epidemic/pandemic.

What's the best way of controlling one of those? Write it into your moral code that God says monogamy "is the future"! and in so, reducing what the disease feeds off, ie people shagging around.

Since the beginning of time, people have been frightened about what happens to them, after they die. While they're here though, they suffer all sorts of emotions from desire, to jealousy, all of which can make people cross the lines of social acceptance. Great, so put the two things together, and threaten them into conforming to a strict moral code, and offer them a punishment greater than they can imagine if they don't.

Religion HAS had a purpose over thousands of years, and I think the major part of that purpose is to give people, what were then, plausible answers to moral dilemmas, and to get them to toe the line.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby bluerhap » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 am

Kes wrote:Let's just assume the people back then, had an STD epidemic/pandemic.

What's the best way of controlling one of those? Write it into your moral code that God says monogamy "is the future"! and in so, reducing what the disease feeds off, ie people shagging around.

Since the beginning of time, people have been frightened about what happens to them, after they die. While they're here though, they suffer all sorts of emotions from desire, to jealousy, all of which can make people cross the lines of social acceptance. Great, so put the two things together, and threaten them into conforming to a strict moral code, and offer them a punishment greater than they can imagine if they don't.

Religion HAS had a purpose over thousands of years, and I think the major part of that purpose is to give people, what were then, plausible answers to moral dilemmas, and to get them to toe the line.

Correct. Religion and religious beliefs have always been a way for politicians and unelected clergy to keep people in line even in so called democracies.People will always have individual beliefs but do not share them through fear of ridicule and politial correctness.
The main answer is always we don`t know until we die. Enjoy life in the here and now and treat death as another individulal adventure when it is your time to find out.

bluerhap
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Views Of The World