God?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

God?

Postby Hueyqueen » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 pm

Something that I have been wondering about for some time now. I am an agnostic, which means to me that I do not know if there is a god (or many gods or some unknown force). I also believe that it is beyond human understanding to know if there is a god. How could we possibly imagine whether there is a force of some kind or not? Can anyone really tell me that they have ever seen hard evidence of the existence of any divine being? And don't pull that "Lord works in mysterious ways" bullshit, even my friends who do believe in god don't talk like that. I suppose you could say that I'm a pessimistic agnostic too, in that when I really think about I doubt severely that there is a god. But do I know for sure, no. I have prayed in the past and I have been through tough times in my life. I was very ill at a young age. "God never gives us more than we can handle." Your god expects too much of a young boy. I'm not going to win any popularity contests by stating my views here. And believe me, I am used to it. I hope that this sparks an open debate and does not devolve into name-calling or "Huey's going to hell" shit. I hope that we can all be civil and talk about in an intelligent, nonjudgmental way. Christ knows I get enough of that from people who aren't on the internet. (By the way I realize the irony of me saying "christ knows". It was deliberate)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Hueyqueen
The Show Must Go On

Re: God?

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:04 am

Oh boy. These topics always seem to end badly and I know I shouldn't get involved. Your worried about people people being judgmental with you over this believe me, it works both ways on this board! In fact I think the non-believers outnumber those who believe in a God.
Anyway, I don't have any cold hard proof of the existence of God. Not any that I can bring to you and say "this is proof!" Its more sort of one of those "in the eye of the beholder" kind of things with faith. I've had some experiences that I personally mostly believe tell me that there is something beyond just this life we are in. I say mostly because I am not 100% sure about anything either. What I believe I've experienced doesn't tell me if there is a God, or if its a Christian God or Hindu God etc... Just that there is something more beyond this life. But it only has meaning for me, its not cold hard proof, like your asking.
All I'm personally trying to do in this life, is figure all this out too. I know that's really all everyone else is trying to do. While we all try and figure it out, my one wish for everyone is to try and figure it out without hurting anyone. Wither that be without influencing government policies or reproductive rights for women, or terrorism or just in general hatred.

And I have to add, a friend of mine years ago was going through a lot of shit and was a strong believer in God. She used to say "they say God only gives you what you can handle. I just wish he didn't have such a high opinion of me!" LOL!

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby play it cool » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:07 pm

I was brought up a Christian - went to Sunday School, church etc, but from the age of about 7 I concluded that there was nothing in it to convince me that any of it was true. And nothing has since.

play it cool
We Will Rock You

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:55 pm

God's been an asshole towards me. My life is better without him now.
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:46 pm

I don't believe in a god. I don't care that others believe, all I ask is that they provide the proof of what they are claiming. They repeatedly don't seem able to do that...so they turn it back on me and say that I have to prove there isn't one. That's not how intelligent human beings think, that's just stupidity.

In science, people don't get away with saying that that they believe in x, y and z...but that the burden of proof lies with those who don't believe in x, y and z.

There might be a god....and when it's proven to me, I will believe in it. Why wouldn't I?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:34 pm

Meh...<-which sums it up for me, as I don't think there is one person who would like to read my thoughts on it. I have always liked to read what others have to say on the matter, so I hope for more posts.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:23 am

Oh go ahead Icy. I think everyone is tired and done with debating this topic. So far everyone is being courteous and letting opinions stand this time.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby icy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:31 am

Nah. I am tired too, in more ways than one with the way some things could turn out here.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby JLP » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:02 am

What is the difference between God and Bono?

God doesn't go around all day acting like he is Bono. :lol:
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby icy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:19 am

Oh alright JLP. Just don't say that joke is funnier than others than almost any other(although it is funny) :P.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Dusty » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:08 pm

My personal opinion is that religions spend too much time looking 'out there' for god, when they should be looking inward. I'll explain. There's been a lot of strange discoveries recently in quantum physics, what with the zero-point energy field and other phenomena, which look for all the world like things that would have been regarded as divine or miracles back in the day- observations, for example, where human thought can be seen to change situational outcomes in lab conditions that look like the power of human prayer, and so on- that someone who saw those things millennia ago probably thought this was down to a god of some kind, and thus religion was created.

What this science is telling us seems to be that we are all interconnected in ways we never could have imagined, and the capacity of our capabilities is seemingly limitless with the more that we discover. God, as such, in my opinion, isn't some bearded bloke 'out there', it's more like a 'something' that appears to consist of the collective subconsciousness of every one of us, and isn't a divine creator at all, not 'out there', but inside us all and something we are only just beginning to become aware of thanks to science; and the more we learn about it the more it seems to show us that we are capable of truly wonderful things, should we bother to put our minds to it and leave our differences behind us.

Dusty

Postby fairydandy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:48 am

Remove humans from the equation and does anything care? We just got lucky, or possibly unlucky in that our brains developed and we became conscious of ourselves. Without that lucky break, would God exist?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:45 am

What's a miracle, and what is pure fluke?

The Sun, just the right size and power to support our solar system. The earth, just the right size, distance and orbit from the sun to maintain a survivable temperature range. Just the right balance of chemicals minerals and gases, gravitational effect, and rotational speed for things to evolve over hundreds of thousands of years.

Yes, it seems like far too many coincidences for it to be a fluke, BUT, as space is just about infinite, it's like playing the lottery, if you buy a ticket every week for the next 45 million years, then by the laws of chance, you "should" win a jackpot, at least once.

It's the age old paradox, "if" there is a God, then what preceded, and/or created him, and what created them. I really don't think there is a plausible definitive answer, as there is little to explain what existed and what didn't pre-big bang.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby WeeMann » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:34 am

Kes wrote:It's the age old paradox, "if" there is a God, then what preceded, and/or created him, and what created them. I really don't think there is a plausible definitive answer, as there is little to explain what existed and what didn't pre-big bang.

It's turtles all the way down.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby Ian-Highlander » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:43 am

WeeMann wrote:
Kes wrote:It's the age old paradox, "if" there is a God, then what preceded, and/or created him, and what created them. I really don't think there is a plausible definitive answer, as there is little to explain what existed and what didn't pre-big bang.

It's turtles all the way down.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder how many people will get that reference...

Ian-Highlander
There Can Be Only One

There Can Be Only One

I was born with nothing and I've got most of it left...

Next

Return to Views Of The World