Dolphins, Horses and Na'vi

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Recycled dolphin story

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:06 am

fairydandy wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Well I've wasted my time! If I'd have known I could have just watched a film, I'd have never spent 15 years growing up with them...

I grew up with dogs barking on our council estate. Didn't see a horse until I was about 12...on a school visit to London. Pah, we were real kids in those days. Horses! :roll: :P

There's two types of family in the UK that have horses - we were the other type :P
To me, polo is a mint with a hole in it.

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:45 am

Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:Although I'd disagree that the horses don't want to run. If they didn't want to, they wouldn't. They carry on running once their jockey has been unseated, often even jumping over the fences, so they clearly do 'enjoy' it in at least some level. And although the jockeys do have whips, the horses are also aware of the carrot as well as the stick, and are probably intelligent enough to learn that running quickly leads to good treatment.

If you want to understand horses, watch a movie called Buck. Actually, it's a documentary. But watch Horse Whisperer first. Buck is a double for Redford in the difficult shots. Buck understands horses like no one else.

Well I've wasted my time! If I'd have known I could have just watched a film, I'd have never spent 15 years growing up with them...

You STILL don't understand, then, and you are too arrogant to probably give a shit. :sleepy:

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:56 am

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:If you want to understand horses, watch a movie called Buck. Actually, it's a documentary. But watch Horse Whisperer first. Buck is a double for Redford in the difficult shots. Buck understands horses like no one else.

You STILL don't understand, then, and you are too arrogant to probably give a shit. :sleepy:

True, but on the plus side I do understand blue aliens, having watched Avatar.

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:

Oh do fuck off, you arrogant prick.

Innuendoes

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:

Oh do fuck off, you arrogant prick.

Which is more arrogant: Posting a reasoned and balanced opinion on a racehorse; or passing judgement on someone's entire life and understanding on the basis that you disagree with them and have seen a film?

Elessar

Postby Innuendoes » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Elessar wrote:Which is more arrogant: Posting a reasoned and balanced opinion on a racehorse; or passing judgement on someone's entire life and understanding on the basis that you disagree with them and have seen a film?

Reasoned and balanced does not include whips. Yes, I have seen a few films but I knew all about Buck Brannaman a loooong time ago because he starts my dear friend's horses. And, she and her husband have been in the horse breeding business since they first married and she was into it since childhood since her father owned the 1000 acre ranch she and her husband now breed, train and board horses, among other thngs such as cattle, dogs and birds.

I, myself, had my first experiences with horses at the age of 2 with my grandfather's Percheron, Dan, until Dan died. I went on to ride quarter horses and tobianos. Never, once, was a whip allowed anywhere near those horses and certainly not my friend's, either. A perosn with a whip walking onto her ranch would be strongly told to get out or drop the whip at once.

Using a whip is abuse. What is happening in your case is that the rider has a problem undertanding horses, not the other way around.

Innuendoes

Re: Dolphins, Horses and Na'vi

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Hold on - how does that differ from anything I've said? Where did I say I support the use of whips?!

Elessar

Re: Dolphins, Horses and Na'vi

Postby Elessar » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Just to summarise:

I post a link to an article that talks about how horse-racing is cruel, and I say I agree with everything apart from the claim that horses don't enjoy racing, which I say we can't know for sure.

And somehow, based on that, I'm an arrogant prick, know nothing about horses, and support whipping them?

Elessar

Previous

Return to Views Of The World