Kony 2012 - please watch and spread the word

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Kony 2012 - please watch and spread the word

Postby WeeMann » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:30 pm

Zappanalé wrote:
Ah, I see what he's doing - you're not allowed to have a conscience if your knowledge of geography isn't up to scratch.

It's actually about slacktivists who *only* care because they've just heard of this issue for the first time.

OK, fair enough.

What about second time, can I care then?
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:34 pm

My niece sent an email about this last night and it was just on the local news! They said in 24 hours millions of people saw this!

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm surprised by the number of strong negative reactions there have been to this, across the media and the Internet. Isn't it better to be angry about what's going on than to be angry with the techniques used by those who are trying to change things? I don't know.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Zappanalé » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:36 pm

What about second time, can I care then

Depends, do you actually know *anything* about the Ugandan crisis, or is the video the limit of your knowledge?

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Venturing into "you have to be a GP to talk about psychiatry" territory here.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Zappanalé » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:41 pm

Venturing into "you have to be a GP to talk about psychiatry" territory here

More you have to know about Uganda to talk about Uganda. The problem is what we're seeing pop up all of a sudden are totally ignorant people (eg, my twitter feed) who have done no research into the organization behind the video, much less the reality of the conflict the video discusses. None have supported any charities involved in the past- it's an ego thing.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby icy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:46 pm

Zappanalé wrote:

More you have to know about Uganda to talk about Uganda. The problem is what we're seeing pop up all of a sudden are totally ignorant people (eg, my twitter feed) who have done no research into the organization behind the video, much less the reality of the conflict the video discusses. None have supported any charities involved in the past- it's an ego thing.

I am just relieved that this on the net is getting the word out, and surely that is a good thing in itself as many are now learning about it? I am. El will never see my thanks for bringing this to light here, FWD will, the more that know and learn, the better...right?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:47 pm

Zappanalé wrote:

But do you have to know about Uganda to frown upon the idea of child slavery?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Zappanalé » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:58 pm

No, that's not what I'm saying. Like I said in the first reply to this thread, by all means spread the video, if you like what they say (I myself disagree with the call for military intervention). What worries me is presumption of expertise being spread around- something which often happens when a cause like things suddenly goes viral.

Campaigns like this rely on people's ego to spread, but ego isn't a replacement for facts.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:04 pm

Zappanalé wrote:No, that's not what I'm saying. Like I said in the first reply to this thread, by all means spread the video, if you like what they say (I myself disagree with the call for military intervention). What worries me is presumption of expertise being spread around- something which often happens when a cause like things suddenly goes viral.

Campaigns like this rely on people's ego to spread, but ego isn't a replacement for facts.

I see what you're saying. However, you will never get a huge number of people to become fully informed about anything. For centuries elections have been held, with the majority of voters not really knowing much about the issues. I agree it's not ideal, but that's the way it is, and bemoaning mass mentality at a time like this (as opposed to, say, after electing (sort of) David Cameron) seems slightly churlish. It's strange that the 'anti-IC' movement is almost viral itself now, and has become a rival bandwagon for people who hate bandwagons.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Zappanalé » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:08 pm

It's strange that the 'anti-IC' movement is almost viral itself now, and has become a rival bandwagon for people who hate bandwagons.

True, but I'm not sure one tumblr post by a political science student in Canada is really that great a source.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby fairydandy » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:26 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:
fairydandy wrote:I watched it all. Great initiative and now I will know who the posters in April refer too! Maybe the kids are the wrong colour, maybe we (and I include myself) would give a damn if they were white. :?

It's a bit like the pictures of the starving African kids, we sort of become immune to it all after a while. I don't need to add a disclaimer to say that my remarks are not racist do I?

Well, you did mention their colour.... :P

Fair point. :P Thing is though, this wouldn't be happening if the kids were white, so we're all guilty.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby P.T » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:26 pm

fairydandy wrote:
FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:
fairydandy wrote:I watched it all. Great initiative and now I will know who the posters in April refer too! Maybe the kids are the wrong colour, maybe we (and I include myself) would give a damn if they were white. :?

It's a bit like the pictures of the starving African kids, we sort of become immune to it all after a while. I don't need to add a disclaimer to say that my remarks are not racist do I?

Well, you did mention their colour.... :P

Fair point. :P Thing is though, this wouldn't be happening if the kids were white, so we're all guilty.

You know it's not really to do with their colour, but their culture. Acts of barbarism are commonplace in Africa, just as acts of terrorism are commonplace in the Middle East. We care more when it happens here because it's not supposed to.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:00 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:
You know it's not really to do with their colour, but their culture. Acts of barbarism are commonplace in Africa, just as acts of terrorism are commonplace in the Middle East. We care more when it happens here because it's not supposed to.

They're not really supposed to happen over there either!

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby P.T » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:15 pm

Elessar wrote:
FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:

They're not really supposed to happen over there either!

Only when we apply our moral standards to theirs. They're not doing anything now that they haven't been doing for hundreds of years already.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World