Autism

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Autism

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:29 pm

We should change the name of this forum to "Views of Elessar." That will be a more accurate title.
 
AutumnGirlLybbie
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Autism

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:18 pm

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No one is entitled to their own facts.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Autism

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:19 pm

Image
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Autism

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:06 pm

Elessar wrote:Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. No one is entitled to their own facts.



You keep throwing at me scenarios of what will happen if they don't get the shots. I know what will happen, I know the dangers and the risks, I have no idea why you keep going on about that. I have no idea why you are trying to convince me of something I've always already known.Treating these people like dumb sh%ts, won 't get any kids vaccinated. To those people it is keeping their kids safe just like telling them to wear a helmet to ride a bike, or watch both ways before you cross the street, don't talk to strangers, don't play in the sewer, etc, etc, etc.
I'm sick of people telling me I'm not entitled to my own opinion just because its not the same as Elessars. Its getting a little ridiculous around here.
 
AutumnGirlLybbie
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Autism

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:18 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:I'm sick of people telling me I'm not entitled to my own opinion just because its not the same as Elessars. Its getting a little ridiculous around here.


You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Your sun is the same distance from your earth as my sun is from my earth, and no amount of arguing can ever change that.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Autism

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:01 pm

Elessar wrote:
AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:I'm sick of people telling me I'm not entitled to my own opinion just because its not the same as Elessars. Its getting a little ridiculous around here.


You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. Your sun is the same distance from your earth as my sun is from my earth, and no amount of arguing can ever change that.


I'm not debating any facts.
 
AutumnGirlLybbie
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Autism

Postby Tarkus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:27 pm

Where have I told you that you're not entitled to your own opinion? Look back over my posts in this thread and tell me, please, because I'm fairly certain I didn't. You asked 'what should we do to encourage the anti-vaxxers to vaccinate their children?' and I suggested the rather extreme step of showing them the consequences of their actions. You may think I'm treating them like 'dumb shits', but as their actions are irresponsible at best, and reckless and highly dangerous at worst, I really don't know what else to suggest, because their viewpoint is so focussed, locked-in and wrong that they aren't about to listen to reason, hard data or any corroborative evidence to show the wrongness of their opinion, and that opinion is now endangering the lives of other childen. In my country, they are now putting extreme images of lung disease on packets of cigarettes to persuade the more stubborn smokers to give up the habit, as all other attempts have failed- some are upset or offended by those images, so they are at last beginning to have an impact. All I'm suggesting is that something similar should be done in this case, as lives are at stake here.
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Autism

Postby Elessar » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:09 pm

It sounds like AutumnLybbie agrees, but wants the right to disagree. Well yes, you can disagree, but if you do, then on this occasion (but not all occasions) you are wrong.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 10055
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Autism

Postby julymorning » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:18 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:
julymorning wrote:Elessar has the advantage in being able to see the whole picture, whereas a set of parents or a parent does not. They generally can't see, or don't care to see, beyond their own family. Do you honestly believe he would prefer to be right at the expense of health and lives?



Well, it is very unpopular to oppose a view of Elessars. I had no idea he was such an expert just because he's not a parent. My goodness. :shock:


I thought he was an MD of some sort? Don't most of them read medical journals, and hundreds of case histories? Aren't they able to have discussions with others in the medical community? Isn't that an advantage over the usual Joe?
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1528
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 406 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Autism

Postby julymorning » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:24 pm

Incidentally, I'm voicing my own opinions based on the experiences of friends and people I've known personally with autistic children, and some of the other behavioral/learning disabilities. I'm not just jumping on anyone's bandwagon here.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1528
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 406 times
Been thanked: 219 times

Re: Autism

Postby Tarkus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:43 pm

Image
 
Tarkus
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Autism

Postby Broooklyn » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:52 pm

julymorning wrote: Isn't that an advantage over the usual Joe?


She isn't just an average Joe, though. She is AutismnGirlLybbie.
ImageImageImage
 
Broooklyn
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 

QOL'er in Black

      
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Autism

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:07 am

I'm going to try this one more time. Kids need to be vaccinated. Vaccinations don't cause autism. I have never said anything different.
My only OPINION is the approach of trying to kick people in the ass towards the pediatricians offices hasn't worked and perhaps a different approach could be tried. Just because I have been sympathetic with anti-vaxxers being fearful, has never meant I agree with them.

I have no idea why I keep getting told I'm wrong about why vaccinations are important, that hasn't had anything to do with the point I've been trying to make all along.
 
AutumnGirlLybbie
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Autism

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 am

More than 100 cases of measles now confirmed in U.S

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrFm2T87nJk

I thought there were a lot more than 100, though...
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9700
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Autism

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:34 am

Here's where some of this anti-vaccination crap is coming from. Idiot! (The doctor in this article, not anyone posting in here)

Amid measles outbreak, anti-vaccine doctor revels in his notoriety

It’s 6:30 p.m. in eastern Arizona, and an energetic doctor who has gained notice due to his disdain for vaccinations has just gotten home. It’s been a busy day. He’s already spoken to USA Today. He just did a segment on CNN. And he’s closely monitored his Facebook page, which has collected 4,000 “likes” in the span of 48 hours. But Jack Wolfson always has time to discuss vaccinations — his hatred of them and his abhorrence of the parents who defend them.

“Don’t be mad at me for speaking the truth about vaccines,” Wolfson said in a telephone interview with The Washington Post. “Be mad at yourself, because you’re, frankly, a bad mother. You didn’t ask once about those vaccines. You didn’t ask about the chemicals in them. You didn’t ask about all the harmful things in those vaccines…. People need to learn the facts.”


More... http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... notoriety/
Oh, never be impatient with the ones who love you
It might be yourself that you're burning
Sing a song of love and open up your heart
For you might be the prince of peace returning
 
Innuendoes
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 

The Master Of Space And Time

      
 
Posts: 9700
Images: 0
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:57 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 459 times
Been thanked: 338 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests