Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Postby medusa » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:33 am

Websites will soon be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online.

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.

The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

But privacy advocates are worried websites might end up divulging user details in a wider range of cases.

Last week, a British woman won a court order forcing Facebook to identify users who had harassed her.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18404621
It's Challenging the Doors Of Time

medusa
We Will Rock You

Re: Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measu

Postby icy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:23 pm

I'd like to think I'm all for free speech, but sometimes things go beyond it. Way beyond.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Sometimes people are wrongly called or accused of being trolls when in fact, it's the opposite and the admin or moderators are just about the same as trolls. Unfortunately, if that law actually goes through, then people who are innocent of trying to be troublemakers, will have all their data given to the real trolls. :shock:

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Innuendoes wrote:Sometimes people are wrongly called or accused of being trolls when in fact, it's the opposite and the admin or moderators are just about the same as trolls. Unfortunately, if that law actually goes through, then people who are innocent of trying to be troublemakers, will have all their data given to the real trolls. :shock:

Makes me wonder what will happen with the info.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Innuendoes » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:22 pm

icy wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:Sometimes people are wrongly called or accused of being trolls when in fact, it's the opposite and the admin or moderators are just about the same as trolls. Unfortunately, if that law actually goes through, then people who are innocent of trying to be troublemakers, will have all their data given to the real trolls. :shock:

Makes me wonder what will happen with the info.

It would depend on whom it's given to and why.

Take for instance, a person joins a message board or website that discusses something they are very interested in. This person goes strictly by canon and sees other posters saying things they don't believe to be canon. Then they post and give their version and back it up with data sources. If these other people who had already been posting there don't like what this person says and decide to correct them and the person fights back giving more data and sources - what happens if the original old-time posters decide to call the new person a troll? What if they get that person banned by arguing with them non stop and calling them a troll and what if the moderators are part of the group who believes what the new person says is not correct to their standards?

So, said person is banned for being a troll. But, being clever, they come back with a new name and ID and try to talk about something else and the same thing happens. The new person is, unfortunately, persistent and tries again to prove their point - that the data they have is canon but the others say no and find them out, then get them banned for being a troll, again.

Innuendoes

Postby icy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Trolls are one thing, but sometimes as I've seen it can go beyond that. Like when a threat is made, I hope the powers that be who run the site will keep in mind safety/the law etc. Cyberbullying and cyberstalking is what I hope will be stopped. I say that as a person who has been through it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby queenb1656 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:21 pm

Never understood how people can get 'bullied' on facebook + social media, surely if someone says something you don't like you can block them or delete them from your profile?

queenb1656
Spread Your Wings

Postby Kes » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Yeah, but blocking people is one thing. Assuring yourself that you aren't being slandered just because you can't see it being done, is another.

The ambiguity here is at what point an online identity feels that they are being trolled, and aren't actually considered a troll by others. Maybe polls like "How do you perceive me?" are the answer.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby queenb1656 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:23 am

Kes wrote:Yeah, but blocking people is one thing. Assuring yourself that you aren't being slandered just because you can't see it being done, is another.

Surely that's then libel? If the internet wasn't there wouldn't the same message be done mouth-to-mouth?

Can't see bullying ever being stamped out though, times have just changed from the fat, ginger kid being beaten in the toilets to facebook + social media.

Good that people are being made accountable for what they write though, too many people think they can write anything they want without consequences. They aren't so tough when they've been weeded out :roll:

queenb1656
Spread Your Wings

Postby icy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 am

:agreepost: With queenb on this.
Some people wouldn't say face to face what they do on the net, others would go to the other extreme.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Then again, on the other side of the coin, because of anonymity, you get people portraying themselves as something they're not, and that ranges from 45 year old blokes pretending they're teenage blokes (or girls!), to people saying they're gutted because they've just lost their pet dog, where they've never had a dog in their life, just to appear vulnerable. We've had people here playing the village idiot, when before too long it becomes very apparent they are quite intelligent. You have to ask yourself why they're doing it?

In this life, you do get people who will abuse the ability of humane trust bestowed on them, especially if they think they can get away with it, and this could be quite innocently done, without any forethought for the hole someone is digging themselves into, or the intentions could be quite malevolent, it's a bit of a lottery, I'm afraid.

If you play everything straight down the wire, open your heart like a set of hangar doors, and people have doubts as to why someone would want to do that, then at some point, I think there's a minority that could think that person is a player, not a victim. Others could think "Oh goodie! Here's a gullible victim for me to play with!". The anonymity, or partial anonymity becomes a curse, rather than a benefit.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Yes of course, I realise that all too well.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 pm

That was said generically. Because of the way the Internet is, interaction on a personal level becomes a range of things, from sympathy/empathy on one end, to predatory opportunities for someone out for a cheap thrill at the other, and a whole spectrum of colours in between.

The more someone exposes themself, the more of a target they become. If your 12 year old daughter goes online as a unidentifiable character with a tortoise shell wrapped around them, they'll be able to communicate fairly safely with others. The more they open up their real selves, the more chance there is that a). They'll interact better with their own peers, and b). That someone looking for a potentially lonely 12 year old girl will find what they're looking for.
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 pm

Kes wrote:That was said generically. Because of the way the Internet is, interaction on a personal level becomes a range of things, from sympathy/empathy on one end, to predatory opportunities for someone out for a cheap thrill at the other, and a whole spectrum of colours in between.

I'm thinking about the time poster here in recent years who with one acct posted as a male, with another acct pretended to be female...why? I'll never know.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

Postby Kes » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:25 pm

They probably had their own reasons at the time. Maybe they felt it was a bit like the changing rooms at school, the only people they ever got to see exposed (on a mental level in this case), were their own side.

Maybe they were intentionally after abusing someone else's trust. Who knows?
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Next

Return to Views Of The World