Should Gay People Be Allowed To Adopt?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Should Gay People Be Allowed To Adopt?

Postby P.T » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 am

musicalprostitute wrote:Er, no we're not.

And I take it you include yourself in that stereotypical picture of Essex people?

No I don't. I've been trying to oppress it for years. I took a buddy who'd never been to Essex through my local town centre the other night and suddenly he was in TOWIE. People dressed really chavily going into Yates, a fat girl with MASSIVE fake eyelashes, too much makeup and a shrill guffaw for a laugh standing outside a club smoking a fag and a really rude cockney bar man who was like "We ain't got any 'ouse whiskey, only Bells".

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:31 am

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Er, no we're not.

And I take it you include yourself in that stereotypical picture of Essex people?

No I don't. I've been trying to oppress it for years. I took a buddy who'd never been to Essex through my local town centre the other night and suddenly he was in TOWIE. People dressed really chavily going into Yates, a fat girl with MASSIVE fake eyelashes, too much makeup and a shrill guffaw for a laugh standing outside a club smoking a fag and a really rude cockney bar man who was like "We ain't got any 'ouse whiskey, only Bells".

Well, in that case I would appreciate it if you didn't include me in that stereotypical view, too. You're not the only one from Essex who finds the whole TOWIE 'culture' abhorrent and pathetic. Many others - including me - do, too. But that doesn't mean that everyone from Essex is like that - otherwise you and I wouldn't feel as we do for starters.

Anyway, whereabouts you from in Essex?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby WeeMann » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Last time I was down that way I saw a girl get hit by a car. She was lying on the floor in a pool of blood, so I asked her "Where are you bleeding from?"

"I'm from bleedin' Essex, whaddya fink?!" she replied.
DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a post, complain to me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate.

WeeMann

Not even on the B list...

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:09 pm

WeeMann wrote:Last time I was down that way I saw a girl get hit by a car. She was lying on the floor in a pool of blood, so I asked her "Where are you bleeding from?"

"I'm from bleedin' Essex, whaddya fink?!" she replied.

Oh dear, WeeMann. The old one's are the best one's, or so they say. :)

I think I've heard possibly every Essex joke out there, although since that TOWIE shite they've multiplied somewhat. I wonder why?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Montavilla » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:16 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Also, I wonder how many of you here arguing your point have any first-hand experience in what we are discussing. I

I apologize because I'm jumping without having read through the entire thread.

One of my nephew's best friends has two mothers. He wasn't adopted, he's the biological son of one of the mothers. He brother is the biological son of the other mother. As far as I know, this has never been an issue for either boy in school. All of his school mates are aware that he has two mothers -- they attend school functions and are completely accepted by the community as a family. I think there's another "gay family" at the school, but I haven't met them.

One of my childhood friends has a mother who divorced her father when she was maybe 13 or 14. It seemed like everyone's parents were getting divorced in those days. Anyway, her mother soon declared herself a lesbian and began a long-term relationship with a woman. (I think she later swung back to the other team.) I remember it being a slightly odd thing, but I never felt like it adversely affected my friend or her siblings. I don't remember anyone in school bullying her about it (or her younger sisters, who were 10 and 4 at the time). They all grew up to be wonderful parents -- the main quality I ascribe to that family is their great sense of humor.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby queenbee » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:21 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:Personally, I would say definately not. Completely selfish.

And, no, I am not homophobic in any sense of the word - I have friends and family who are gay and lesbian.

Anyone disagree? :)

I have edited this post just to add that - after the discussions on here with some of you good people and a realisation of my own personal slant on this issue - I have reflected on the above statement and come to the conclusion that I was wrong. I did not want to edit my post by deleting my original statement though, as I think that would not be honest of me.

Just want to say well done on having the courage to consider other points of view which differed from your own and the integrity to say you were wrong. Most of us get so bogged in arguments we can't hear others opinions, far less being open enough to be persuaded by them.

queenbee
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:53 am

queenbee wrote:
musicalprostitute wrote:Personally, I would say definately not. Completely selfish.

And, no, I am not homophobic in any sense of the word - I have friends and family who are gay and lesbian.

Anyone disagree? :)

I have edited this post just to add that - after the discussions on here with some of you good people and a realisation of my own personal slant on this issue - I have reflected on the above statement and come to the conclusion that I was wrong. I did not want to edit my post by deleting my original statement though, as I think that would not be honest of me.

Just want to say well done on having the courage to consider other points of view which differed from your own and the integrity to say you were wrong. Most of us get so bogged in arguments we can't hear others opinions, far less being open enough to be persuaded by them.

Thank you. I appreciate the comment.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Previous

Return to Views Of The World