Episcopal Church oks gay marriage

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Episcopal Church oks gay marriage

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:54 am

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... nions?lite

This is all fine and well, but its clouding the whole issue of gay marriage as far as we, as a nation are concerned. The focus should really be on a gay couples right to marry in a civil ceremony, in the eyes of the law. And have full rights as any married couple would in this country. Religion keeps getting in the way and stuff like this only makes it worse. It clouds the judgement of conservative Americans who keep confusing their religious beliefs with the Constitution of the United States. For me, its not a step forward that this church blesses gay marriage, it just makes the issue harder.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Re: Episcopal Church oks gay marriage

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 am

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/10/12666645-episcopal-church-becomes-biggest-us-church-to-bless-gay-unions?lite

This is all fine and well, but its clouding the whole issue of gay marriage as far as we, as a nation are concerned. The focus should really be on a gay couples right to marry in a civil ceremony, in the eyes of the law. And have full rights as any married couple would in this country. Religion keeps getting in the way and stuff like this only makes it worse. It clouds the judgement of conservative Americans who keep confusing their religious beliefs with the Constitution of the United States. For me, its not a step forward that this church blesses gay marriage, it just makes the issue harder.

And why can't these religious followers actually make their own mind's up for once in their brainwashed lifes?

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Its not whether they can make up their own minds, its that they cant' separate church and state. People think that this church is somehow going to help things, but I think it will make things worse for a while. Religion needs to to be completely uninvolved so that the civil right can be passed.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:40 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:Its not whether they can make up their own minds, its that they cant' separate church and state. People think that this church is somehow going to help things, but I think it will make things worse for a while. Religion needs to to be completely uninvolved so that the civil right can be passed.

Disagree. For some of the sheep, they really can't think for themselves on certain issues because - for some idiotic reason - they think they have to agree with whatever the church states. It's quite pathetic in this day and age.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:33 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:
AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:Its not whether they can make up their own minds, its that they cant' separate church and state. People think that this church is somehow going to help things, but I think it will make things worse for a while. Religion needs to to be completely uninvolved so that the civil right can be passed.

Disagree. For some of the sheep, they really can't think for themselves on certain issues because - for some idiotic reason - they think they have to agree with whatever the church states. It's quite pathetic in this day and age.

It is pathetic, I agree. But there is so much overlapping of religion and politics and that is the problem as I see it. I say stop courting and celebrating these gay friendly churches and just focus on the law. They should be separate.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby musicalprostitute » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Disagree. For some of the sheep, they really can't think for themselves on certain issues because - for some idiotic reason - they think they have to agree with whatever the church states. It's quite pathetic in this day and age.[/quote]

It is pathetic, I agree. But there is so much overlapping of religion and politics and that is the problem as I see it. I say stop courting and celebrating these gay friendly churches and just focus on the law. They should be separate.[/quote]

I understand what you're saying.

Slightly off topic, but sort of related - I've always found the hypocrisy of the church when it comes to homosexuality completely laughable.

Religion, who needs it?!

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 pm

musicalprostitute wrote:I understand what you're saying.

Slightly off topic, but sort of related - I've always found the hypocrisy of the church when it comes to homosexuality completely laughable.

Religion, who needs it?!

I agree. But I think its good that the church and state remain separate. See churches don't have to serve anyone they don't want, they don't have to marry anyone they don't want to marry. Not just gay couples but that also applies to members of their own congregations. For churches to get all twisted up about gay marriage, especially when the issue is about civil marriages, is over all unnecessary, but really just them trying to push their beliefs on society. If today thousands of churches decided to marry gay couples it still wouldn't mean a thing if the marriages aren't recognized legally. Gay couples still wouldn't have the same next-of-kin rights as other couples do. So get the struggle out of the churches and into the public squares and court houses, where it belongs for right now! That's my opinion anyway.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby Montavilla » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:40 pm

I spoke to a friend today who happens to be a member of the Episcopalian Church, and asked her about this. She told me that what is happening is that the Church is doing a "test liturgy." Which means, they are creating the words for a priest to use when he or she performs a marriage between two men or two women in the Episcopalian Church. If it goes well, it will be added to the regular liturgy.

That seems to me as though the Episcopalian Church isn't necessarily getting involved in the issue. More that they are recognizing the reality of the growing desire for gay marriage among their parishioners and taking the steps to accommodate them.
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy

Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now

Return to Views Of The World