Trolls

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Trolls

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:19 am

Worth reading - posted in response to offensive posts about Gary Barlow, but also applies to the similar Tom Daley incident, and all the others we've heard about recently:

http://youngturkrevolution.wordpress.co ... ry-barlow/

Elessar

Re: Trolls

Postby mikespit » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:30 am

1. They are not trolls - just people expressing an opinion.

2. They posted stuff without thinking it through - in a 2-way conversation they would probably change their views.

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby JLP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 am

Elessar wrote:Worth reading - posted in response to offensive posts about Gary Barlow, but also applies to the similar Tom Daley incident, and all the others we've heard about recently:

That is fucking amazing. The last paragraphs are probably as moving as it can get.

Moved to this forum El as i think that article alone deserves to be in a more serious place on here.

I was stunned when I saw Gary Barlow appear on Sunday. Like Jason Manford, I don't own any Take That stuff but to appear so soon after a tragedy took some guts. He certainly got my respect for getting up there.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:35 am

mikespit wrote:1. They are not trolls - just people expressing an opinion.

2. They posted stuff without thinking it through - in a 2-way conversation they would probably change their views.

Okay, so he's used the wrong word, but I don't think it takes much away from what he wrote.

Elessar

Postby icy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 pm

Elessar wrote:Worth reading - posted in response to offensive posts about Gary Barlow, but also applies to the similar Tom Daley incident, and all the others we've heard about recently:

I've recently read about what was said about Gary Barlow, there are trolls, and then there is way beyond that.
I see more people going beyond it. What was said about Gary went way beyond. It sickened me to read it.
Some of the harebrained comments in the link are...well harebrained :roll: .
Credit to Gary, top guy.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby fairydandy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm

JLP wrote:
That is fucking amazing. The last paragraphs are probably as moving as it can get.

I didn't find it amazing and to be honest I had to skip over it at the end, as he was trying far too hard to tug at the heart strings to make his point. He could have made the same point with a tenth of the words.

I think that perhaps losing a child who is 'xx' years old maybe 'is' worse than losing a child at birth (and that's horrific in its own right)....but that's the opinion of a person who doesn't have kids, so it's not an informed opinion.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby JLP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:24 pm

fairydandy wrote:
JLP wrote:

I didn't find it amazing and to be honest I had to skip over it at the end, as he was trying far too hard to tug at the heart strings to make his point. He could have made the same point with a tenth of the words.

I think that perhaps losing a child who is 'xx' years old maybe 'is' worse than losing a child at birth (and that's horrific in its own right)....but that's the opinion of a person who doesn't have kids, so it's not an informed opinion.

yeah it was a long piece but it was well written and had far more insight than I would have expected. I agree it could have been shorter.

I don't know about the pain of losing a child, be it a baby or a older child. I know from professional experience that both are equally horrendous. Is one worse that the other? I don't know and hopefully I will never find out from a personal perspective. From the professional perspective, the death of a baby always seemed more traumatic to deal with.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby AutumnGirlLybbie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:25 pm

We had a similar situation in our community recently. A 12 year old boy died due to accidental drowning in a river. The comments following the online article were awful towards the mother. The truth is though, no matter how harsh people are, the mother is being ten times more harsh on herself right now. That's what people don't get and what she needs is love and support.

AutumnGirlLybbie

Postby JLP » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:33 pm

AutumnGirlLybbie wrote:We had a similar situation in our community recently. A 12 year old boy died due to accidental drowning in a river. The comments following the online article were awful towards the mother. The truth is though, no matter how harsh people are, the mother is being ten times more harsh on herself right now. That's what people don't get and what she needs is love and support.

Indeed. Someone like Gary Barlow might have a good support network behind him but that does not make things any easier for him and his wife. Wheras the mum you mentioned might have nothing to help her and heartless comments might just be a tipping point for her.
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Postby icy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I don't want to sound bad, and I'm not a parent, does the manner of a child's death play a part more than age? Personal question, I know.
I truly don't mean to sound bad by that question, feel free to ignore it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Their not trolls, they are just mindless arseholes who have nothing better to do with their time and post opinions without thinking through the whole story first. Yes it was a long piece but it was well written and from the heart.
As hard as it would be to lose an unborn child I would think it is far harder to lose a child you have loved, cuddled, had fun with and seen grow up. Very good friends of ours lost their 18 year old daughter 10 years ago this month, it almost broke them and they still haven't got over her death, nor I doubt will they. They had great support from friends and family but it affected all of us too, and still does, her death left a big gap in all our lives not just her parents, writing this now has even brought a lump to my throat. With an unborn child as much as you have loved it you still haven't got that bond, you haven't watched them grow in front of your eyes and I would imagine it is easier to move on for those reasons even though the hurt is still there.

Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You

Should be doing something else

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Pastieman.Steve wrote:Their not trolls, they are just mindless arseholes who have nothing better to do with their time and post opinions without thinking through the whole story first. Yes it was a long piece but it was well written and from the heart.
As hard as it would be to lose an unborn child I would think it is far harder to lose a child you have loved, cuddled, had fun with and seen grow up. Very good friends of ours lost their 18 year old daughter 10 years ago this month, it almost broke them and they still haven't got over her death, nor I doubt will they. They had great support from friends and family but it affected all of us too, and still does, her death left a big gap in all our lives not just her parents, writing this now has even brought a lump to my throat. With an unborn child as much as you have loved it you still haven't got that bond, you haven't watched them grow in front of your eyes and I would imagine it is easier to move on for those reasons even though the hurt is still there.

I think it completely depends on the people, and that's why 'Person D' was completely wrong to post what he did. Maybe Gary and his wife will find it quite easy to move on - I hope they do - or maybe they'll never get over it. We can't know. We can predict how we might feel, but others might be completely different. I spoke to someone once who had a stillborn child many years ago, and after that had 3 or 4 children who are now adults. However this person still couldn't get over the stillborn child. Different people react in different ways. The not seeing the child grow up might mean it's not so hard for some, but for others, missing out on all that might make it even harder.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:56 pm

icy wrote:I don't want to sound bad, and I'm not a parent, does the manner of a child's death play a part more than age? Personal question, I know.
I truly don't mean to sound bad by that question, feel free to ignore it.

My guess would be that neither age nor manner of death make any difference whatsoever.

Elessar

Postby Pastieman.Steve » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:17 pm

Elessar wrote:
Pastieman.Steve wrote:Their not trolls, they are just mindless arseholes who have nothing better to do with their time and post opinions without thinking through the whole story first. Yes it was a long piece but it was well written and from the heart.

I think it completely depends on the people, and that's why 'Person D' was completely wrong to post what he did. Maybe Gary and his wife will find it quite easy to move on - I hope they do - or maybe they'll never get over it. We can't know. We can predict how we might feel, but others might be completely different. I spoke to someone once who had a stillborn child many years ago, and after that had 3 or 4 children who are now adults. However this person still couldn't get over the stillborn child. Different people react in different ways. The not seeing the child grow up might mean it's not so hard for some, but for others, missing out on all that might make it even harder.

Oh yeah I totally agree with you, non of us know how we would react with any given situation until we are faced with it, we all think we do but it is totally different in reality.

Pastieman.Steve
We Will Rock You

Should be doing something else

Postby Trashcat » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:13 pm

The last part of that was so nauseating I had to skim-read it, homeboy needs an editor.

Trashcat
Spread Your Wings

Next

Return to Views Of The World