Trolls

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Trolls

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:42 pm

He went on to post that something similar-ish happened to him, hence his insight.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby P.T » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Trashcat wrote:The last part of that was so nauseating I had to skim-read it, homeboy needs an editor.

"Now you know me"
"Now don’t get me wrong"
"Now after I posted this comment"
"Now I’m not talking about people doing jokes"
"Now firstly"
"Now, I know it’s 2012"
"Now I don’t know what is going through Gary’s head"
"Now I don’t know either"
"Now this is one of those kind of arguments you get on social media all the time"

Now, I think you're right.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby The Sixpence » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:05 pm

I'd hate to lose a child of any age. I hope I go before either of my two kids.

The Sixpence

Postby Elessar » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:32 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:
Trashcat wrote:The last part of that was so nauseating I had to skim-read it, homeboy needs an editor.

"Now you know me"
"Now don’t get me wrong"
"Now after I posted this comment"
"Now I’m not talking about people doing jokes"
"Now firstly"
"Now, I know it’s 2012"
"Now I don’t know what is going through Gary’s head"
"Now I don’t know either"
"Now this is one of those kind of arguments you get on social media all the time"

Now, I think you're right.

Be fair to him though, he posted it in the early hours of the morning on his Facebook page; he didn't expect it to go viral the way it has, and to attract the kind of scrutiny that it is now receiving for its literary merit.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:35 pm

It's nice that he obviously felt bad enough for Gary Barlow to comment, and then really good that he attacked his own fans for their idiocy - more comics need to do this.

There are parts that are a bit much, "being a performer is different to any other job" oh get lost, "the show must go on" is a metaphorical term for life, having to go on, taken from the stage, rather than being literally about performers inability to take a day off. The part about people's cynicism to charity work being unfair, is also slightly off, as there is a reason people are cynical about rich people doing charity work, especially when said rich person is known to be massively tax dodging.

The point stands though, people trolling don't matter, it might be a joke, it might be because you're spiteful, but it's never as bad as anyone actually thinking their revolting opinions are okay. It wouldn't matter if Gary Barlow had never done a single good thing for another human being, you wouldn't wish something like that on anybody and when it happens, you don't start judging them for how they react.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby mikespit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:04 am

Elessar wrote:
mikespit wrote:1. They are not trolls - just people expressing an opinion.

2. They posted stuff without thinking it through - in a 2-way conversation they would probably change their views.

Okay, so he's used the wrong word, but I don't think it takes much away from what he wrote.

Well, only that he opened his argument talking about people who post stuff, and then went on to argue the points raised those who post stuff. So what is his beef? Trolls in general or the arguments they have posted? Like I said, most of views fans have posted can be defused and retracted in a normal conversation. These people are allowed to have their viewpoint despite how misguided they are, but now he has polarised them. People express their opinions every day on social media - now it's gone viral.

As a father of 5 kids, I completely agree with his viewpoint on the opinions. I don't think its fair on those who had those misguided views to be put in the public spotlight.

I guess it serves a warning to all of us who post here on expressing a controversial opinion.

This response hopefully explains what I am trying to say:

I disagree with Jason to some extent on this.

I saw this article as an FB friend had linked it. Normally I wouldn’t have clicked on, but I did because I’d had the same discussion with somebody earlier that day. Leaving aside the stuff about person D, they too thought Mr Barlow cared more about his career than the child.

The thing is, this person isn’t a bad person. Quite the opposite, They’re a very decent person. But, as is usual with people’s opinions, they hadn’t really thought this through, and had thrown out some shallow ideas which weren’t really in character.

I didn’t argue. I just asked them to look at it from a different perspective. After a shrug and some further conversation? Job done.

The problem with the internet is that half-arsed, ill-thought opinions can suddenly become like a finished article – almost set in stone for public perusal – and the poster suddenly seems like a malign caricature typified by their own posts. Lashing out angrily at them just takes everybody involved down the some pointless road.

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:53 am

I understand what you're saying, and I'm very much in favour of free speech, but surely if people are allowed to post their opinions, others are allowed to post their responses (and then of course people are allowed to post their responses to the responses: It's a discussion)? And if they can do so in an eloquent and powerful way, then all the better. I hate the idea of widespread censoring; I think it's far better for society to police itself by expressing its disgust for unpleasant views and opinions, and surely that's what Jason Manford's post does?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby mikespit » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:19 am

Elessar wrote:I understand what you're saying, and I'm very much in favour of free speech, but surely if people are allowed to post their opinions, others are allowed to post their responses (and then of course people are allowed to post their responses to the responses: It's a discussion)? And if they can do so in an eloquent and powerful way, then all the better. I hate the idea of widespread censoring; I think it's far better for society to police itself by expressing its disgust for unpleasant views and opinions, and surely that's what Jason Manford's post does?

I just get annoyed at how quickly we judge people to be stupid, nasty, evil scum based on a post they make. I am sure we all have friends who we could see make a stupid statement like the one made, but we wouldn't wish on them the global hatred being outlined here.

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:06 am

I guess that's partly why they were anonymised in the original post.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby LittleBabyNothing » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:47 pm

I would be utterly offended and deeply hurt by comments like that!
“Why can’t I try on different lives, like dresses, to see which fits best and is more becoming?” - Sylvia Plath.

LittleBabyNothing
We Will Rock You

Previous

Return to Views Of The World