The Julian Assange thriller

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: The Julian Assange thriller

Postby Zappanalé » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:08 pm

I didn't 'leave it at that', I proved that it happens to be something that you don't necessarily need physical evidence for, just some lass saying "Ohhhh this guy raped me!" If they'd have fabricated a murder charge, they'd have needed a weapon and a body. For example.

Erm, no, when you're being arrested *pending investigation*, as is the purposes of the arrest warrant, that's really not necessary.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

I guess the point is that if you want to stitch someone up, a crime that's difficult to prove and has minimal physical evidence yet elicits shock and disgust amongst the public is an excellent choice.

That said, I'd say it's far more likely that old Julian handed the authorities an opportunity to lock him up on a plate by refusing to take no for an answer on a night out in Svenska.

Elessar

Postby Belle Leisha » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:45 pm

The Queen actually is a lizard though.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby P.T » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:39 am

Elessar wrote:I guess the point is that if you want to stitch someone up, a crime that's difficult to prove and has minimal physical evidence yet elicits shock and disgust amongst the public is an excellent choice.

Precisely my point.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Kes » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:The Queen actually is a lizard though.

What you mean you think they misheard "A Lizard Birth" at her christening?
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Lino » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:25 am

Well, according to some news I saw, the swedish lady behind the sexual abuse is CIA related. I knew this sexual assault case didn't sound good. It's a big political scheme.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:34 am

But even if he was set up, a good rule of thumb is not to rape.

Elessar

Postby Kes » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:53 pm

It's difficult to see how he's going to get from that Embassy to an airport, short of digging a bloody long tunnel.

You'd think the next stage would be fairly hard too, but if a kid can get all the way through Manchester airport and onto a flight, he stands a 50:50 chance of getting past security at Heathrow.

Being ex-military, I can't begin to guess how many people his whistle-blowing has compromised, what damage it has done to them and their families, or will in the future. Whatever comes to him, is probably what he deserves for being a bit too cavalier in what he did.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:57 pm

So Galloway has got involved now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-19323783

He raises a good point, that it would be a pretty huge coincidence if of all the people Assange could have rape,d he chose two girls with political backgrounds who would come forward just when it was very convenient to lock him up for something. It's a very good point. Doesn't prove or disprove his guilt of course.

His second point is a bit more emotive. If Galloway is right about the exact nature of the allegations, I can see it generated mixed opinions. If you have consensual sex with someone, fall asleep, then have sex with them again before they've woken up, it would probably be reasonable to feel slightly hard done by if they accused you of rape - but strictly speaking they'd be correct. I guess consent to one act can't necessarily be extrapolated to a second, identical act at a different time, and I guess that's entirely reasonable - that's why rape within marriage is now, rightly, illegal. A difficult one.

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Kes wrote:Being ex-military, I can't begin to guess how many people his whistle-blowing has compromised, what damage it has done to them and their families, or will in the future. Whatever comes to him, is probably what he deserves for being a bit too cavalier in what he did.

I suppose he'd argue that if the military thought they could get away with stuff without whistles being blown, more innocent Iraqis and Afghans would have been killed without anyone ever finding out. Are those lives less valuable than the lives of UK/US military and their families? Well, the people responsible for Assange's fate will probably say yes, but I don't think I'd agree with them morally.

Anything he's done to threaten the safety of members of their military and their families was at least done with arguably noble intentions - Piers Morgan on the other hand put lives at risk to sell newspapers, and did so by lying to the public, which I reckon is much worse. Assange to get a US TV deal?

Elessar

Postby P.T » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm

So aside from what George Galloway said about what constitutes rape and what doesn't, he said something very similar to what I said the other day. Hmmm.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Zappanalé » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:37 pm

I hope not, because he was abhorrent, not to mention factually wrong.

The high court has ruled- twice- that the equivalent charge under UK law for what Assange is wanted in connection with is rape.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:47 pm

I assume he wasn't speaking from a legal perspective.

What's the law regarding sleep-sex? I've heard of people initiating sex in their sleep - if the partner is awake and they go along with it, are THEY the rapist?

Elessar

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 pm

Here's the answer:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nort ... 543340.stm

Doesn't apply to Assange of course, because he was awake.

Elessar

Postby Zappanalé » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:56 pm

What's the law regarding sleep-sex? I've heard of people initiating sex in their sleep - if the partner is awake and they go along with it, are THEY the rapist?

Shagging someone when they're asleep is, in every way, rape.

Zappanalé
We Will Rock You

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World