Brian May told to butt out of the badger battle

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Brian May told to butt out of the badger battle

Postby Frank » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Interesting article from Classic Rock about Brian May being told to butt out of the badger battle. Since this does deal with badgers I thought it best to post in Views of the World.

Brian May told: butt out of badger battle
By MARTIN KIELTY

Queen guitarist Brian May has been told to stay out of a debate over badger culling – because he doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

And National Farmers’ Union spokesman Ian Johnson has labelled the musician’s comments as “well-intentioned” but “not-helpful.”

May has long been an advocate of banning the mass killing of badgers. He recently spoke out in the UK press, trying to prevent a cull due to take place in Somerset and Gloucester in September.

He called the move a “particularly nasty kind of Conservatism,” adding it was “being pursued on the pretext of ‘doing something’ about bovine TB” while no link had been proven between badgers and the killer cow disease.

As a result, he continued, the cull was “disgraceful, tragic and pointless.” He added: “Prime Minister David Cameron, Agriculture Minister Jim Paice and Environment Secretary Caroline Spelman cling to this appalling policy. One can only assume they are pandering to a powerful farming leadership who helped elect them.”

May insisted that even the NFU supported the argument that killing badgers would not solve the tuberculosis problem.

But NFU man Johnson tells This Is Cornwall: “I don’t know where he’s got that from. It’s rubbish.

“This is not political. It’s an animal welfare issue. He should not be politicising the problem. Brian May is a well-intentioned, very rich, misguided person. His comments do nothing to help a rational debate about the problem.”

If the guitarist wants to help, says Johnson, “he should be getting involved with the scourge of TB that affects not just cattle, but other species too.”

Johnson also railed against May’s assertion that all farmers want to bring back fox hunting. “These comments are not helpful. Brian May doesn’t realise that, before blood hunts were banned, there were lots of farmers who didn’t want the hunt going over their land because they didn’t agree with it.

Original article:
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/brian-may-told-butt-out-of-badger-battle/
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Re: Brian May told to butt out of the badger battle

Postby julymorning » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Brian's involvement can only be construed as unhelpful from the pro-culling front.

He's brought awareness to many who wouldn't have previously given the situation more than a passing glance.

I don't see how he could not know what he's talking about, I suspect Brian's spend countless days and sleepless nights researching every scrap of relevent info out there.

As far as Brian saying all farmers want to bring back fox hunting, I may be wrong, but I don't remember him using the "all" word. I thought I remember him asserting claims from some farmers that they didn't want hunts running through their property any more than they wanted the foxes to.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm

julymorning
The Show Must Go On

This is probably as good as it gets.

Postby fairydandy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm

Brian is such a bore with all of this badger stuff. :roll: I want to hear about Queen in the studio, about Freddie, about John...about the archive material...and that's why I first logged on to BM.com. He tries so hard to be viewed as some great intellectual, as a great animal rights campaigner, as an astronomer...but he's none of those to me, he's the guitarist with Queen and that's what I want him to talk about. :?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Simon » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:45 pm

But surely, it is his right to use his fame to create awareness of issues that are important to him? Just as he bores you with badger stuff, I'm sure Queen stuff bores him now and then.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"

Simon
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby fairydandy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Simon wrote:But surely, it is his right to use his fame to create awareness of issues that are important to him? Just as he bores you with badger stuff, I'm sure Queen stuff bores him now and then.

It's his right, yes. There's a thin line between giving information and raising awareness of the issues and lecturing on the issues...and he does the latter. I despise fox hunting, but I would never read what he says about it anymore, because it's overkill. You know, it's zodiacal dust clouds, Victorian photos, badgers...over and over again and next to nothing for the fans who want to read about Queen. Why the hell does he think they log onto his (quite awful) website?

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby Kes » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:56 pm

In case he claims he's spotted a stereoscopic badger called "Kerry" in outer space? :lookround:

Sure as shit isn't anything to do with the music.

I really can't remember the last time I logged onto his site, TBH.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby EaP » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:18 pm

fairydandy wrote:Brian is such a bore with all of this badger stuff. :roll: I want to hear about Queen in the studio, about Freddie, about John...about the archive material...and that's why I first logged on to BM.com. He tries so hard to be viewed as some great intellectual, as a great animal rights campaigner, as an astronomer...but he's none of those to me, he's the guitarist with Queen and that's what I want him to talk about :?

:agreepost:

EaP
We Will Rock You

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:55 pm

He's lost the plot :(

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4446

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby fairydandy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:33 am

Now Brian has a go at a fan!

From http://www.brianmay.com/

OLYMPICS 2012

Mark wrote:

Dear Brian,

I caught the Queen bug in 1977 and ever since have compiled a large Queen collection of recordings, memorabilia, signed items and promos. So you could say I was a loyal and devoted fan.

All too often you respond to 'yes people' star struck by anything and everything you do which you have every right as it's your Soap Box. I was glad you responded to a post relating to 'Can we have more live early Queen material' although I'm fully aware of copyright controls and ownership etc.

My honest opinion of your 'Olympic Closing Ceremony Performance' :-

Your guitar intro should of been left back in the 70's Brian as it has not changed much since then.
Roger was dressed like Jessie J's Pimp
Your coat was well ' left me speechless in a bad way'
BUT in comparison to the other performances Queen and Jessie J did an honest job of We Will Rock You

Regards

Mark

---

Hi Mark

I thought I'd just quickly respond to your message and award you the prize for 'least helpful message of the month'.

Maybe it'll be good for you to know that I don't just respond to 'yes people', as you call them.

I think perhaps, if you listen a bit more carefully to my guitar solo you'll realise you missed something.

As for your comments on our clothes, I don't think that kind of stuff is worthy of an answer.

Please don't bother writing again.

Cheers

Bri

So, he responds to someone who isn't a 'yes' person, then he tells them not to write again! Surely that just means that he really only responds to 'yes' people? :P Well, Mark is right to be honest, Brian does only respond to gushing praise (and Americans...oh and young Japanese people who fawn all over him). He''s not at all interested in his older fans.

fairydandy
Somebody To Love

Postby icy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:45 am

Is that what he has come to now?! Terrible, just terrible in some ways what he has become in more ways than one.
Brian, you may never see this, but some of your latest actions are doing you no favours. I guess we will see him hobnobbing with the "elite" or at least those people he thinks of as elite than his own fans from now on.
Shame, Brian, shame, no need to tell a fan don't bother writing again especially over something like what Mark wrote. That reply is damming, and undeserved IMO.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Elessar » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:55 am

I think I'm going to have to write to him about this Quack Aid thing. I can't believe that he realises what they are and still supports them.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby icy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:01 am

Elessar wrote:I think I'm going to have to write to him about this Quack Aid thing. I can't believe that he realises what they are and still supports them.

A part of me hopes you will write to him about it, another part of me doesn't. As proven above he can be quite testy, and it's a bad thing when it's turned on the fans.
ETA~Agreed with what you posted elsewhere about it.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Frank » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:23 am

I don't support Mark's comment but Brian should have simply not responded and ignored the letter.
Last edited by Frank on Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (MSG in NYC)
2014 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Washington D.C.)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Brooklyn, NYC)
2017 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Philadelphia)
2018 - Queen + Adam Lambert (Las Vegas) 2X

Frank
The Show Must Go On

Fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die...

Postby Kes » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:33 am

Let's face it, they've never liked criticism, and in the main have successfully insulated themselves from it. If only some of us were that good at it. :shock:

Writing to his soapbox is obviously a bit more direct. When you see you get a reaction, I guess you then have to assess whether or not your comments make something positive happen, or achieve the opposite.

For a few years now, I've got to say I believe it's the latter. Someone pisses them off, we ALL seem to suffer the consequences.

It's not right, but sometimes that's just the way it is. Leopards and spots and things.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby icy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:35 am

Steven wrote:I don't support Mark's comment but Brian should have simply not responded and ignored the letter. It's a bad reflection on his personality and I lost some respect for him. I thought he was better than that. Very disappointing.

If I can be honest, I've lost more respect for Brian this year, than I have in the past 19.
I have a feeling the exchange between Brian and Mark will be taken down...if I were Brian I would apolgise to him.
I wonder if Mark is a member here, or will read this thread. He has mostly my support, although I didn't like JessieJ.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running

icy
We Are The Champions