World Suicide Prevention Day

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

World Suicide Prevention Day

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 am

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day.

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/a ... index.html

A survey to mark the tenth anniversary of this event shows that many people have a poor understanding of mental health problems: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0910/world- ... n-day.html

Suicide is the most common cause of death amongst people aged 15-24, and the 13th leading cause overall, above murder and war. One person dies from suicide roughly every 40 seconds.

In the UK, if you're feeling suicidal or are in emotional distress and need to talk to someone in complete confidence, you can phone Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90. You can also email them from anywhere in the world at jo@samaritans.org.

Outside of the UK, there are many similar organisations, details of which can be found here: http://www.befrienders.org

And finally, I'm running a half-marathon next month to raise money for Samaritans. Details are in my signature.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Re: World Suicide Prevention Day

Postby icy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks for bringing this to light, and again for what you will do next month. I'm sure those links may help one or more people out there in cyber world.
There is still much taboo about depression/suicide.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:00 pm

Let's do some myth-busting:

http://www.samaritans.org/your_emotiona ... icide.aspx

MYTH: You have to be mentally ill to even think about suicide.

FACT: Most people have thought of suicide from time to time and not all people who die by suicide have mental health problems at the time of death. However, the majority of people who kill themselves do have such problems, typically to a serious degree. Sometimes this has been recognised before the person’s death and sometimes not.

MYTH: People who talk about suicide aren’t really serious and not likely to actually kill themselves.

FACT: People who kill themselves have often told someone that they do not feel life is worth living or that they have no future. Some may have actually said they want to die. Whilst it may be the case that some people talk about suicide as a way of getting the attention they need, it is very important that everyone who says they feel suicidal be treated seriously.

MYTH: Once a person has made a serious suicide attempt, that person is unlikely to make another.

FACT: People who have attempted to kill themselves are significantly more likely to eventually die by suicide than the rest of the population.

MYTH: If a person is serious about killing themselves then there is nothing you can do.

FACT: Feeling suicidal is often a temporary state of mind. Whilst someone may feel low or distressed for a sustained period the actual suicidal crisis can be relatively short term. This is what makes timely emotional support so important.

MYTH: Talking about suicide is a bad idea as it may give someone the idea to try it.

FACT: When someone feels suicidal they often do not want to worry or frighten others and so do not talk about the way they feel. By asking directly about suicide you give them permission to tell you how they feel. People who have been through such a crisis will often say that it was a huge relief to be able to talk about their suicidal thoughts. Once someone starts talking they have a greater chance of discovering other options to suicide.

MYTH: Most suicides happen in the winter months.

FACT: Suicide is more common in the spring and summer months.

MYTH: People who threaten suicide are just attention seeking and shouldn’t be taken seriously.

FACT: People may well talk about their feelings because they want support in dealing with them. In this sense it may be that they do indeed want attention in which case giving that attention may save their life.

MYTH: People who are suicidal want to die.

FACT: The majority of people who feel suicidal do not actually want to die; they do not want to live the life they have. The distinction may seem small but is in fact very important and is why talking through other options at the right time is so vital.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby icy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Of all the things you have posted in my time here, El, this is personally one of the most important, if not the most important. It definitely not an easy issue to discuss for so many, that said I hope this thread continues.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby P.T » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Elessar wrote:MYTH: People who are suicidal want to die.

FACT: The majority of people who feel suicidal do not actually want to die; they do not want to live the life they have. The distinction may seem small but is in fact very important and is why talking through other options at the right time is so vital.

I think that's one of the most important points. It's unfortunate that one of the symptoms of depression is hopelessness and that stops people from exploring options other than suicide. It gets hard to justify that in more extreme cases though.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Postby Elessar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:

I think that's one of the most important points. It's unfortunate that one of the symptoms of depression is hopelessness and that stops people from exploring options other than suicide. It gets hard to justify that in more extreme cases though.

Well yeah - the people who jumped from the World Trade Center did kill themselves, but they didn't want to die either - they just didn't want a life of burning to death in their office. That's very extreme of course, but some people really do have truly miserable lives and suicide must seem like a reasonable option. That's a reflection on society, that some people's lives are so bad that they don't want to live them any more.

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Bijou » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:53 pm

FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:

True. It sounds cheesy but I guess you want to end 'that' life that makes you so miserable.

Bijou
We Will Rock You

Postby P.T » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Elessar wrote:
FreddiesWhiteDove wrote:

Well yeah - the people who jumped from the World Trade Center did kill themselves, but they didn't want to die either - they just didn't want a life of burning to death in their office. That's very extreme of course, but some people really do have truly miserable lives and suicide must seem like a reasonable option. That's a reflection on society, that some people's lives are so bad that they don't want to live them any more.

Yes, they 'knew' they were going to die and chose the method they thought would be less unpleasant. They took it into their own hands. I was referring to say, someone who's suffered an extreme loss or someone who's suffered from extended medical issues which can't be cured or is causing long term suffering which the patient can't take anymore.

On the other end of the scale, there's the 15 year old girl who kills herself because she's being bullied at school, or the 21 year old male with hideously low self-esteem who keeps finding reasons to regard himself as a total failure due to family issues, lack of success in career, education, relationships...They don't see that all these situations can be remedied.

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Return to Views Of The World