Rise of the Spider Goats

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Rise of the Spider Goats

Postby Elessar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:53 am

Delilah wrote:Edit: Or, exactly what Elessar said. :P

As is so often the way ;)

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby Delilah » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:55 am

Lady Godiva wrote:
Elessar wrote:But couples where one parent has Huntington's disease, or both parents carry cystic fibrosis? I can't see any harm in screening to make sure that their children don't inherit those diseases.

Apologies for signalling out just one sentence, but this is where I have to disagree. As terrible as it sounds, I believe that those diseases are all part of a natural elimination process, and that there’s a reason why they can’t have kids or will have kids that won’t lead a long life – population control. Our earth simply doesn’t have the natural resources to hold the billions of people on this earth and the more cures we find to ensure that more people live and live longer just adds to that population. I guess it’s a rather crude way of looking at things but that’s just how I feel.

They are a part of natural selection, but that's where my selfishness comes back out. I don't want to have a child with extreme birth defects. I don't want the pain of going through that. I would want to know if I had a 50/50 chance of giving birth to a child with a horrible disability. It might have pointed me towards adoption instead. Luckily, mine have nothing physically wrong with them so far. Aside from getting the smartass crazies from their mother, but there's no genetic test for that yet. And I really should have seen that coming. :P

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Delilah » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:56 am

Elessar wrote:
Delilah wrote:Edit: Or, exactly what Elessar said. :P

As is so often the way ;)

I should have read down a few posts!

Delilah
I'm a pretty c**t

Postby Belle Leisha » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:06 pm

Elessar wrote:Pah. Get a room.
In a house. Made with bricks. With air conditioning. And running water. And electricity. And windows.
:P

*Thumbs down*

:P They're all perfectly natural too...like an elaborate version of monkeys using sticks and rocks etc. The bacteria thing is a good example though, like at the moment all adverts for cleaning products seem to compete for how high a percentage of bacteria they claim to kill...as though that's the measure of all healthiness? We need bacteria! We're not going to have any immunity to anything left.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Previous

Return to Views Of The World