Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:31 pm

TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:I don't remember making fun of Plato's theories.


Here:

Elessar wrote:
Anyone can call themselves a philosopher though. All they have to do is love thinking.
You can become a Master of Philosophy just by arguing that free will is an illusion (and providing some fairly flimsy evidence for it with a pair of kitchen scales).


And that's making fun of Plato how?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby TheHero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Elessar wrote:
TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:I don't remember making fun of Plato's theories.


Here:

Elessar wrote:
Anyone can call themselves a philosopher though. All they have to do is love thinking.
You can become a Master of Philosophy just by arguing that free will is an illusion (and providing some fairly flimsy evidence for it with a pair of kitchen scales).


And that's making fun of Plato how?


You say that you can become a Master of philosophy just by arguing that free will is an illusion.. and providing some flimsy evidence for it with a pair or kitchen scales...

That is to ridicule philosophy, who Plato was the founder of! You ridicule his subject.
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 pm

TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:
TheHero wrote:
Here:

Elessar wrote:
Anyone can call themselves a philosopher though. All they have to do is love thinking.
You can become a Master of Philosophy just by arguing that free will is an illusion (and providing some fairly flimsy evidence for it with a pair of kitchen scales).


And that's making fun of Plato how?


You say that you can become a Master of philosophy just by arguing that free will is an illusion.. and providing some flimsy evidence for it with a pair or kitchen scales...

That is to ridicule philosophy, who Plato was the founder of! You ridicule his subject.


Do you think that's incorrect?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby TheHero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

Elessar wrote:
Do you think that's incorrect?


It depends on the setting...considering that Platos cave was the topic that was up, I don`t think that was an appropriate comment.


If we were discussing Kepler or Newton, and I said that everyone can call themselves a realist though, just provide some flimsy evidence, put two and two apples together and suddenly you have 4 ... It would be a ridicule..
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 pm

TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Do you think that's incorrect?


I depends on the setting...considering that Platos cave was the topic that was up, I don`t think that was an appropriate comment.


My comment was a response to this:

TheHero wrote:When I studied at University, we had to pass a test in philosophy. I have studied philosophy for half a year.


It's lovely that you spent a year reading some books and that you passed a test. My point is that it doesn't really mean all that much, given that one can acquire a Masters in Philosophy by doing what I described.

Or indeed a Doctorate in Philosophy by going to Tenerife and taking some photos.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby TheHero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:02 pm

Elessar wrote:It's lovely that you spent a year reading some books and that you passed a test. My point is that it doesn't really mean all that much, given that one can acquire a Masters in Philosophy by doing what I described.

Or indeed a Doctorate in Philosophy by going to Tenerife and taking some photos.


A Master of Philosophy or Doctorate in philosophy is more than taking some photos and providing some flimsy evidence..
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:03 pm

TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:It's lovely that you spent a year reading some books and that you passed a test. My point is that it doesn't really mean all that much, given that one can acquire a Masters in Philosophy by doing what I described.

Or indeed a Doctorate in Philosophy by going to Tenerife and taking some photos.


I am sorry, but A Master of Philosophy or Doctorate in philosophy is more than taking some photos and providing some flimsy evidence..


Wanna see my MPhil thesis?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Simon » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:04 pm

No, you have to write a biography about Queen too.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2481
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby TheHero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:08 pm

Elessar wrote:
TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:It's lovely that you spent a year reading some books and that you passed a test. My point is that it doesn't really mean all that much, given that one can acquire a Masters in Philosophy by doing what I described.

Or indeed a Doctorate in Philosophy by going to Tenerife and taking some photos.


I am sorry, but A Master of Philosophy or Doctorate in philosophy is more than taking some photos and providing some flimsy evidence..


Wanna see my MPhil thesis?



I already have a bachelor in mathematics and astronomy, so calm down..
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:12 pm

TheHero wrote:
Elessar wrote:
TheHero wrote:
I am sorry, but A Master of Philosophy or Doctorate in philosophy is more than taking some photos and providing some flimsy evidence..


Wanna see my MPhil thesis?



I already have a bachelor in mathematics and astronomy, so calm down..


So do you stand by "I am sorry, but A Master of Philosophy or Doctorate in philosophy is more than taking some photos and providing some flimsy evidence.."?
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby julymorning » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 pm

Tell you what you two. Sit down and smoke some really good stuff together and then have this conversation. Far more of a meeting of the minds and interesting to observers, I'd bet.

That's my philosophy.

Not advocating the use of anything illegal, mind you.

ETA: Not really sure why I made the above comment. My only excuse is I'm tired of arguments in places I come to de-stress.
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1689
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:32 pm

TheHero wrote:Well done YOU!

WHERE did I write that I know more than anyone else ?? You have obviously misunderstood everything! Find where I wrote that I know more than anyone else, and I will call you a genius from this day on...


Find where I said you wrote that? :) You've gotten a bit confused here. You didn't write, that you know more than everyone else. You did write that it's curriculum at most universities and that you study philosophy, implying you're speaking from a position of authority, whereas it may be that one, other people have also studied philosophy or two, that there are other ways to be aware of the Cave.


You are wrong AGAIN! The cave was curriculum at the University. An obligatory part of the education. I had to read several hundred pages of theory. Certainly not pop culture.


As I didn't say The Cave wasn't curriculum or that you didn't have to study it, I'm not sure how that makes me wrong about it being pop culture. The Matrix film is based on the allegory of the cave, it's one of the most popular films of my lifetime, it's very much pop culture. To be clear, that doesn't exclude the actual text from national curriculum, it just gives an example of how you could learn the same theory through other means.

Plato was warning about that yes, and that is exactly why I explained it for Elessar, who is arrogant and making fun of his theories.. He is the kind of realist that Plato warned about. That was the reason I brought up the cave in the first place, to show that they don`t know everything, just because everything is impossible to know..

So don`t mess things up here, I have spent hours on this, to prove that they don`t know everything, just because they have a realistic approach to things..


I'm pretty sure he didn't make fun of Plato's theories, and Plato certainly didn't warn about being rational. It may well be that Elessar is arrogant enough to think he's smarter than Plato. :P The only problem is that throwing obscure and meaningless questions around while asserting the realist's inability to understand them, is rather arrogant in itself, and doesn't advance a discussion at all.

Hence: I'm not sure Plato deserved that misuse of his work. ;)
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby TheHero » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:57 pm

A miserable thread...
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3837
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 432 times
Been thanked: 170 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby icy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:23 pm

TheHero wrote:A miserable thread...

What did it? From earthshaking to interesting.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16710
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 269 times
Been thanked: 587 times

Re: Interesting news from Mars to be announced by NASA soon

Postby Elessar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:34 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:It may well be that Elessar is arrogant enough to think he's smarter than Plato. :P


Ha :P

What's that word for when you discover something only to find out it's already been discovered? I did that with Pythagoras' Theorem when I was 11. I was very disappointed to find out it's been known for thousands of years.
 
Elessar
I Want To Break Free
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 11473
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 185 times

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests