Beehive Foundation

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Beehive Foundation

Postby mikespit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:46 am

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but is seems appropriate - happy for it to be moved to Fried Chicken.

Over the last few months I have been involved in setting up a new non-for-profit called the Beehive Foundation

The organisation is aimed at implementing structured programs to help our youth in the ages of 11 – 21 by developing coping strategies, and help develop self esteem & confidence through life skills that focus on work ethic, motivation, and goal setting.

Beehive's primary focus will be on junior sporting organisations – a niche that is not yet being addressed by current support organisations. Beehive also aims build awareness among parents who run sporting organisations – on how to make their club inclusive and fair, and be good role models.

We have formed Beehive in response to a serious increase in bullying, depression, self-harm and suicide in our community (in our area alone there have been over 6 suicides in the past couple of months alone - many of which have been kids aged 16/17). We have developed a preventative program aimed at providing our youth skills they can use in sport, school, and life (and also if they ever find themselves in a dark place).

It's all about building resilience in kids just before they enter teenage years - the skills are quite powerful and are based on the emerging concept of positive psychology - which is teaching the brain to think positive.

Our aim is to grow across Australia within 3 years, and maybe one day go international. We'd love to get this set up in the UK if there is strong enough interest!

If this is something of interest of you (particularly if you have teenage kids!), then check out the links below, and get in touch.

If you have a look at our website / Facebook page, you'll see we are building up momentum quickly. There is a huge focus in the public domain at the moment on increasing government funds for kids already at risk, however very little focus on building resilience so that the next generation of kids don't become at risk.

Anyway, here is some more info - if you are on Facebook, please "Like" our Facebook page, as this help us increase our chances of future funding, the bigger audience we have.

http://www.facebook.com/BeehiveFoundation (Official Facebook Page)
http://www.beehivefoundation.org.au (Official Website)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgvLw1V4VIw(Intro Video on You Tube)

And this was our first official media release following a partnership with a large local junior football league.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3552-0-162279-0&sID=56219&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=21197732

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Re: Beehive Foundation

Postby icy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 am

Thank you and all the ones involved with this :bigups:
Although I'm in Canada I will like the Facebook page, will take a more in depth look at it when I can.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 am

This sounds like something we desperately need in the US, too. If you are successful in AU & the UK, can you suggest the US as well?

Innuendoes

Postby mikespit » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:04 pm

I'd be interested in understanding the situation in other parts of the world - UK, US, Europe on this.

In Australia there is literally no focus on building resilience. The current focus is on the national health system and it's inability to cope with the number of youth at risk of depression, self-harm and suicide. The stats are quire alarming - Australia's youth population is 1.5 million - 20% suffer from depression, Over 7000 hospitalised each year due to self harm, and suicide is the largest cause of death in the 15-19 age group.

The government will subsidise a maximum of 10 visits to a psychiatrist, before it become completely out of pocket ($150 - $300 per session!). Hence the huge focus now on trying to change this.

Having said that - nothing about building resilience, which is where Beehive comes in.

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Postby Elessar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:34 am

Out of curiosity, why beehive?

Elessar
I Want To Break Free

Postby FreddiesShootingStar » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:12 pm

Elessar wrote:Out of curiosity, why beehive?

I'm curious about that as well!! Initially, when I saw the thread title I thought it was about bees because I had an ulcer on my leg that would just not heal and the nurses at the wound care clinic used honey from Australia to help it heal and it worked wonders, burned like the dickens at first though!! :P :biggrin:
*LOASA's Most Obsessed Mercurian 2010/Co-winner 2011/2012*

FreddiesShootingStar
Don't Stop Me Now

*Guaranteed to blow your mind!!*

Postby mikespit » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:15 am

My partner in the organisation came up with the name Beehive, and it seemed to stick. The notion of an interlocking support network fits well with a beehive. Nothing more fancy than that really, although I am sure we can come up with some good linkages.

FreddiesShootingStar wrote:
Elessar wrote:Out of curiosity, why beehive?

I'm curious about that as well!! Initially, when I saw the thread title I thought it was about bees because I had an ulcer on my leg that would just not heal and the nurses at the wound care clinic used honey from Australia to help it heal and it worked wonders, burned like the dickens at first though!! :P :biggrin:

mikespit
Spread Your Wings

Return to Views Of The World