What if money didn't matter ?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: What if money didn't matter ?

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:58 pm

I mean, if living in harmony with the nature is the ultimate freedom, you would think that every step forward, every new discovery, every new invention, would practically be a step back, wouldn't it ?

Then if that is what we should do, then our society would probably look like something like this:

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:04 pm

I don't see what connection you're making between a less consumer based society and a less advanced one? All evidence would suggest we currently don't reach the full extent of our ability to advance in science, technology and education, because we've invented a system where saleability is more important than ingenuity or helpfulness. Cuba had a planned economy and for a long time was 95% nationalised industry (minimising profiteering) and it has the best education and free health service in the world. It's a myth and not a very convincing one, that we need mindless greed to have an advanced society.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Belle Leisha wrote:I don't see what connection you're making between a less consumer based society and a less advanced one? All evidence would suggest we currently don't reach the full extent of our ability to advance in science, technology and education, because we've invented a system where saleability is more important than ingenuity or helpfulness. Cuba had a planned economy and for a long time was 95% nationalised industry (minimising profiteering) and it has the best education and free health service in the world. It's a myth and not a very convincing one, that we need mindless greed to have an advanced society.

Some good points there..

Many great discoveries were made hundreds of years ago.
http://science.discovery.com/convergenc ... ysics.html
http://science.discovery.com/convergenc ... onomy.html

But for example, to have the possibility to make a smart phone today, you would need factories producing metal, and to be able to pay the workers, the factory depend on earning money, selling the metal. You would need scientists, and engineering to produce the tiny, nano-transistors inside the phone--- the plastic parts, the glass, the satellites communication technology. To afford sending a rocket into space, you would need an considerable amount of money.

--

The list goes on and on.. and it all depends on selling things, and earning money.

Someone please tell me I am wrong... I`m just afraid that this is the basic facts, and that there is nothing we can do about it.. we are in the system. I would be glad if someone can convince me that I am wrong.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby Belle Leisha » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 pm

No, it doesn't depend on selling things or spending money, it depends on using the resources we, the planet, have, for their best purpose, which because of consumerism and privatised business, we don't. Yes we need factories, scientists, every kind of worker, a world where people don't work isn't utopia it's mindless, people need to work. But they don't need to work 60 hours a week to have just enough money to pay rent and bills, where other people work in the loosest possible sense, a few hours a week to have mind blowing levels of wealth that no human could possibly need. While that is the case, the full extent of our technological, scientific, inventive, exploratory and artistic capabilites, are limited by our personal means, rather than our collective.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 pm

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Belle Leisha wrote: a world where people don't work isn't utopia it's mindless, people need to work..

Yes, we need to work, and it can also be fun to work, but we cannot choose to be entirely free.. the laws of the nature don`t admit us to be free.. The nature would tear us apart, eat us, and in the end that is what happen to all of us.

When we die, we become a part of the earth again, an everlasting energy resource.. where people and animals have lived and died for thousands, not to say millions of years..over and over again.. In the end the nature wins. We are just a part of it..

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby TheHero » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 pm

That is why I think music, art and love is the most important thing we have got.

TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now

Postby JLP » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:29 pm

There is no money in the 23rd Century. I should know, being a starship captain.

Have I broken the prime directive with this post?
Come on you Tigers.

JLP
Site Admin

Growing old disgracefully

Postby P.T » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:44 pm

JLP wrote:There is no money in the 23rd Century. I should know, being a starship captain.

Have I broken the prime directive with this post?

Maybe not within the Federation, but the economy on Feringinar is booming :geek:

P.T
The Show Must Go On

Previous

Return to Views Of The World