Do we want news like this ?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Do you want to read news like this?

No, never
0
No votes
Yes, sometimes
5
56%
Yes, always
0
No votes
No, I wish the press would write more about interesting discoveries, future plans, environment etc.
4
44%
 
Total votes : 9

Do we want news like this ?

Postby TheHero » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 am

You really think they like to rock in space? Well, I don't know. What do you know?
 
TheHero
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3977
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Europe
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 473 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby icy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 pm

About celebs getting older? Makes a change from when it's reported about celeb deaths.
If you mean about celeb news and gossip, it depends on what the topic is. Also it depends on how it's reported.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16848
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Belle Leisha » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:44 pm

I like how the Daily Mail are surprised by people getting older. Do they think they won't look any different when they're pensionioners? The years have been considerably kinder to those rock stars now in their 60s/70s, than to others in the same bands, for example, who will never be.
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard


Image
 
Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

      
 
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 am
Location: Birmingham, UK
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Princess of Taylor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't think many of them look all that bad. Certainly better than the folks of comparable ages that I see puttering around my town! Not sure where the story is there.
 
Princess of Taylor
We Will Rock You
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 749
Images: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby julymorning » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:35 pm

Well, that was painful!

It would be awesome if our bodies didn't age, but since it's a fact of living I don't see the point of trotting out articles like that unless the author is campaigning for geriatric euthanasia.

As if the younger generations need more encouragement to disrespect their elders!
.It is my uppermost hope that even histories' genius's lost their minds as they aged. I'd hate to think that I really am an idiot. sjm
 
julymorning
The Show Must Go On
 
User avatar

 

This is probably as good as it gets.

      
 
Posts: 1689
Images: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm
Location: Missouri, U.S.A.
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 429 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby fairydandy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I don't buy newspapers, but I found it mildly entertaining to see how people have aged over the years. It is certainly more entertaining than hearing Brian drone on and on about those fucking diableries.... :P :roll:
Last edited by fairydandy on Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
fairydandy
Somebody To Love
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 8831
Images: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 449 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Simon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:41 pm

And to be fair, they chose a nice pic of Brian in his older days. There are much more 'revealing' pictures from him.

I think it's interesting to see how people age. I think most people depicted there have aged quite well. Most of them really look interesting. But that may be because I adore some of their music so much. I remember how shocked I was when I realized that that zombie-lookalike playing guitar and singing was the handsome cute David Gilmour (I only saw footage of the Live at Pompeii film.
By now I think Gilmour has a very enigmatic looking despite the fact that he really is no entertainer on stage. I love watching him singing and playing guitar though.
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2481
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Montavilla » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:43 pm

I didn't care for the tone of the article, which was extremely stupid, but I did enjoy the pictures.

I, too, thought that most of the guys had aged very well. I did stare at the older Leo Sayer for a long time, trying to figure out what was happening with his mouth. But that was because they chose a strange picture. It's really rather nice to see how good-looking older men can be.

But yes, the horror that people age! What a silly, silly attitude.

:lol:
"You are right!!!!" - The Milkman
Maybe you should shut the fuck up? - fairydandy
 
Montavilla
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:06 pm
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 512 times
Been thanked: 282 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby icy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Montavilla wrote:I didn't care for the tone of the article, which was extremely stupid, but I did enjoy the pictures.

I, too, thought that most of the guys had aged very well. I did stare at the older Leo Sayer for a long time, trying to figure out what was happening with his mouth. But that was because they chose a strange picture. It's really rather nice to see how good-looking older men can be.

But yes, the horror that people age! What a silly, silly attitude.

:lol:

Patrick Stewart and Sean Connery are enough to make me um flail :lol: I prob should not admit that :lookround: :whistle:.
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~
 
icy
We Are The Champions
 
User avatar

 

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

      
 
Posts: 16848
Images: 0
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 4:44 am
Location: . Don't forget to remember...
Gender: Female
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 599 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby karoleq » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm

I don't appreciate the idea of article, people rather come to hate journalists than approve their point of view. But, on the other side, we cannot expect anything more from Mail. ;)
 
karoleq
Spread Your Wings
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby mab » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Everybody seems to forget that papers/websites like the Daily Mail know exactly what they are doing.

Saying ''do they not think we know that people get older'' is an inane remark. Of course they know that.

They put this in their paper and on their website because people click on it and read it, even if only out of curiousity.

If people REALLY didn't have ANY interest in articles like this, the papers would NOT print it. The fact that they do, is proof in itself that people like it.

So accusing the Mail - or any other people - of not understanding what readers want is nuts.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Simon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:30 pm

And producing and selling drugs is fine as well because there is a market?
"Or you have it, or you don't!"
 
Simon
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 
 
Posts: 2481
Images: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:12 am
Gender: None specified
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:54 pm

mab wrote:Everybody seems to forget that papers/websites like the Daily Mail know exactly what they are doing.

Saying ''do they not think we know that people get older'' is an inane remark. Of course they know that.

They put this in their paper and on their website because people click on it and read it, even if only out of curiousity.

If people REALLY didn't have ANY interest in articles like this, the papers would NOT print it. The fact that they do, is proof in itself that people like it.

So accusing the Mail - or any other people - of not understanding what readers want is nuts.


While I agree to an extent, the papers do to a degree decide what the public want. If there were no papers that showed the latest upskirt photos of Lindsay Lohan, the public wouldn't take to the streets demanding this material; they'd get on with their lives. The papers know that the public will be interested if it's made available, but I would argue that the public are only interested because it's available. The papers aren't responding to a demand, they're creating the demand.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby mab » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Elessar wrote:
mab wrote:Everybody seems to forget that papers/websites like the Daily Mail know exactly what they are doing.

Saying ''do they not think we know that people get older'' is an inane remark. Of course they know that.

They put this in their paper and on their website because people click on it and read it, even if only out of curiousity.

If people REALLY didn't have ANY interest in articles like this, the papers would NOT print it. The fact that they do, is proof in itself that people like it.

So accusing the Mail - or any other people - of not understanding what readers want is nuts.


While I agree to an extent, the papers do to a degree decide what the public want. If there were no papers that showed the latest upskirt photos of Lindsay Lohan, the public wouldn't take to the streets demanding this material; they'd get on with their lives. The papers know that the public will be interested if it's made available, but I would argue that the public are only interested because it's available. The papers aren't responding to a demand, they're creating the demand.


You have the chicken and the egg the wrong way around. Human nature came first, publishing second. The latter grew up around the former.

People are interested in upskirt pictures of Lindsay Lohan because people like sex, especially when combined with people they are familiar with due to their fame or notoriety.

Is it your assertion that people only like boobs because The Sun brought us Page 3?

Papers and magazines ''create a demand'' among men for images of nude women, do they? Until men's magazines, male human beings didn't wish to see female human beings naked, yes?

Why then does pornographic imagery stretch back to the most ancient of civilisations? Phallic objects from ancient Egypt cynically sought to ''create a demand'', did they?

I think you need to reflect on your theory a little longer, as it's patently flawed.

Papers and magazines - and their websites - need to make money, first and foremost. They are not there to decide what next year's trends ought to be. They don't have time to 'experiment' with public taste - time is money. They KNOW what presses people's buttons and serve it up.
 
mab
Don't Stop Me Now
 
User avatar

 

Was it all worth it?

      
 
Posts: 2562
Images: 2
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am
Location: Fool's Paradise
Gender: Male
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Do we want news like this ?

Postby Elessar » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:42 pm

mab wrote:You have the chicken and the egg the wrong way around. Human nature came first, publishing second. The latter grew up around the former.

People are interested in upskirt pictures of Lindsay Lohan because people like sex, especially when combined with people they are familiar with due to their fame or notoriety.

Is it your assertion that people only like boobs because The Sun brought us Page 3?

Papers and magazines ''create a demand'' among men for images of nude women, do they? Until men's magazines, male human beings didn't wish to see female human beings naked, yes?

Why then does pornographic imagery stretch back to the most ancient of civilisations? Phallic objects from ancient Egypt cynically sought to ''create a demand'', did they?

I think you need to reflect on your theory a little longer, as it's patently flawed.

Papers and magazines - and their websites - need to make money, first and foremost. They are not there to decide what next year's trends ought to be. They don't have time to 'experiment' with public taste - time is money. They KNOW what presses people's buttons and serve it up.


You've put a lot of words in my mouth in that post. I didn't say the vast majority of those things.

Obviously people don't like boobs simply because of page 3. However, before The Sun started page 3, I'd be very surprised if the editor received regular feedback from the public requesting a regular softcore pornography feature. Yes, it was grimly predictable that the public would be interested and would buy it, but there was no specific demand for it until it became available.

I don't claim to have any detailed knowledge of archaeo-ahtropology, but I doubt that the phallic objects found from ancient civilisations were a form of pornography, with Ancient Egyptians masturbating furiously over a wooden cock.

Since the creation of the internet, the number of child pornography images has gone from something very low (I think the order of around 1,000) to millions. The people who view this material do so because it is now available. 40 years ago, the vast majority of people with paedophilic desires weren't skulking around pub car parks buying some grainy old child porn images, and they weren't engaging in child abuse either (or at least if they were, the crime stats don't back it up).

The underlying human nature hasn't changed, but the new media has changed the way people are able to engage with their own nature, and the media are in control of what they supply, and choose to make such material available. If they didn't, there is absolutely no reason to believe that the customers would be seeking it out elsewhere.
 
Elessar
 
User avatar

 
 

Next

Return to Views Of The World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests