Margaret Thatcher

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Margaret Thatcher

Postby Belle Leisha » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:03 pm

I haven't seen the film, but any focus on her now is definitely in poor taste. It's not relevant, and it's emotionally manipulative on a deeply horrible scale. Surely her most vehement opposition, wouldn't want to see her elderly and ill self, given such a lack of dignity.

This paragraph is perfect actually:

I still loathe the insidious selfishness that crept into the collective consciousness under her premiership and that is so pervasive now. But I also think it’s all too easy to vilify a powerful, determined, forthright and ambitious woman as an ogre, blaming her for society’s ills in a way that would never happen to a man in public office. She was dedicated to public service, with a strong sense of social responsibility and duty. While I might not agree with her solutions to the serious problems this country faced in the early Eighties, at least she believed passionately that what she was doing was for the greater good. Surely her astonishing political journey from grocer’s daughter to Downing Street is worthy enough of the Hollywood treatment, without focusing on her descent into dementia?
But Eden is burning, either brace yourself for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage, of the changing of the guard

Belle Leisha
Don't Stop Me Now

I'm a Restless Kinda Girl, There's No Turning Back Now!

Previous

Return to Views Of The World