TELEGRAPH POLL: Please vote YES to support urban foxes

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

TELEGRAPH POLL: Please vote YES to support urban foxes

Postby JenX » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:54 am

Please vote YES in Telegraph Poll (pun not intended HA!) and show true reflection of feeling. The Telegraph just aims to demonise the fox and encourage killing and repeal of Hunting Act, giving open season on ALL wildlife in the UK.

Brian is fighting hard to keep the Hunting Act in place and improve it, in face of the present Government's campaign to kill anything that moves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildli ... aming.html

Do you delight at the sight of an urban fox?
Yes, they largely harmless creatures.
No, they are a vermin and increasingly dangerous.

We can make a difference.... here's voting movement in just over an hour this morning,

Yes, 45.38% (3,558 votes)
No, 54.62% (4,283 votes)
Total Votes: 7,841

10.31AM
Yes, 44.04% (3,367 votes)
No, 55.96% (4,279 votes)
Total Votes: 7,646

09.55AM
Yes, 43.64% (3,308 votes)
No, 56.36% (4,272 votes)
Total Votes: 7,580

Thanks for reading - please VOTE.
Jenx

JenX
Spread Your Wings

Re: TELEGRAPH POLL: Please vote YES to support urban foxes

Postby icy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Quite the question and possible results.
Can people from outside the UK vote?
What will happen with the poll results...will it be forwarded?
~Godspeed little one~
~Don't talk about angels
Or how I'll be saved
I'm no coward
But I'm not that brave
Rags are blowing
Rain's getting near
I'm done with running
And it's getting dark in here~

~Sleep in peace old friend for me you'll never die~

icy
We Are The Champions

And the wounded skies above say it's much too late

Postby JenX » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Outside UK I think fine as it opinion poll rather than something official.

Brian already posted on Soapbox about trend yesterday. The poll presumably started when article posted on 11 Feb about 10am GMT. I'll post up on brianmay.com Monday when it has been on a week. Maybe it will close then - though some polls stay open till they get the result they want!!

PLEASE ALL VOTE !
Jenx

JenX
Spread Your Wings

Postby musicalprostitute » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:55 pm

The Telegraph are complete arseholes.

Have voted.

musicalprostitute
Don't Stop Me Now

Defend yourself, I bring catastrophe

Postby Tarkus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:08 pm

Voted, with pleasure.

Tarkus

Postby homme » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Another Yes vote. 55% say aye now.

homme

Postby Innuendoes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 pm

I voted, too. In favor of the foxes, of course. I can't believe some of the hideous headlines on there, regarding foxes. You would think they are talking about animals the size of a bear, ffs.

Mother: Fox saw my baby as a piece of chicken 13 Feb 2013
The countryside in crisis 17 Feb 2013
Mother had to kick fox to stop it dragging baby out of house 10 Feb 2013
Foxes are 'playful' and 'not a problem' claims council after animal mauls sleeping baby 10 Feb 2013
Fox attack: council criticised for calling the animals ‘playful’ 11 Feb 2013

What a crock of bs!!!

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Ok. Inherently I'm against a group of toffee nosed posh people jumping on horses and chasing after foxes, with packs of hounds. I'm against the way these people see pest control as sport.

However, you can't live in somewhere like the US, and fully appreciate what's around you, as being what's around everyone else.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_density

The UK being so densely populated brings with it a series of other problems. Yes, the fox population needs to be monitored, and if neccessary, controlled. Not so many years back rabies was rife in mainland Europe. Thankfully it never became a major issue here, but back then had it spread here, the distance between different families of foxes, might have naturally controlled and quarantined it. The higher the fox population, the greater the risk. Not just to them, but anyone who comes in contact with them.

It's not the be all and end all of it, but it's something to think about.

I'm not a chicken farmer, but I know of a couple of instances round my way where a fox, or pair of them have got into a chicken coop, and they're like kids with presents at Christmas, they won't stop to check out their dinner until they've opened every one of those presents.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:37 pm

For what it's worth, there are foxes in the US as well as in many other countries. My grandmother raised chickens for meat and also sold eggs to make extra money. Almost every day, there was an attack on the chicken coup by foxes. She didn't go out and kill the foxes, even though she easily could have. She'd run out and chase them with a broom. And my friends and cousins and I would find chicken remains in the woods all the time and we knew where the dens were. We would go down on the bluffs to where the dens were and lay in front of them and talk to the foxes, inside. Ha!

Rabies is a disease of the central nervous system that will die out during cold weather due to the fact that the animal can't reason that it's freezing to death and will run around out in the below 0 cold until it dies. That's what happens, here, in foxes, raccoons, skunks and other animals that have or carry rabies.

But it's sheer lunacy to think a fox looks at a 2 year old as a piece of chicken. :lol:

for

Innuendoes

Postby Kes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:55 am

My point was that the UK is fairly densely populated, for a comparatively small island. Once you reach a certain proportion of foxes in the countryside, they have no choice but to go urban. As people get pissed off with their bins being raided, and seal them shut with bungee straps, the foxes still have to eat, and will keep looking for food until the options run out.

They won't see a baby as a chicken, the lack of feathers is probably a bit of a giveaway, but when you're starving hungry, and humans are a bit careless and "trusting", food is food.
What is left of your dream?
Just the words on your stone.
A man who learnt how to teach,
But forgot how to learn.

Kes

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:26 am

Kes wrote:My point was that the UK is fairly densely populated, for a comparatively small island. Once you reach a certain proportion of foxes in the countryside, they have no choice but to go urban. As people get pissed off with their bins being raided, and seal them shut with bungee straps, the foxes still have to eat, and will keep looking for food until the options run out.

They won't see a baby as a chicken, the lack of feathers is probably a bit of a giveaway, but when you're starving hungry, and humans are a bit careless and "trusting", food is food.

If humans are going to feed them and try to attract them, then perhaps they should domesticate them and keep the as pets. I saw a wonderful video, earlier, about a man from the UK and his foxes and I've watched many US videos of people having them as pets, too. They're somewhat like a cross between a dog and a cat, but are definitely canines. Watch this, it will no doubt change your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_YZ0ggpYJc

Innuendoes

Return to Views Of The World