Is Vegan Organic Farming Achievable?

This is the place for topical debate and discussion about anything in the world (non-Queen related).

Re: Is Vegan Organic Farming Achievable?

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Innuendoes wrote:
Elessar wrote:
Innuendoes wrote:No, to be fair, we don't use ≠ over here! You tried for another of your typical stunts.

That is a HUGE call! The American population don't use a basic mathematical operator! The chance of that being true ≈ 0.

What typical stunts? I was just feeling lazy and couldn't be bothered typing full sentences.

Not on our keyboards!

Well no, but ÷ isn't there either and presumably you know what it means.

Elessar

Postby funkyrake » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 am

Tarkus wrote:Welcome to QOL! I'm vegan myself, and my wife and I try our best to grow our own veg so as to not rely so much on shop-bought stuff. We have a composter in our shed, and make our own compost. You don't need manure to make it- we primarily use grass cuttings, paper waste and kitchen scraps (In our case that's the bits of vegetables that get chopped off during food prep that aren't eaten). It's perfectly possible to organically grow vegetables using vegan methods- although many commercial stores sell blood and bone meal as fertiliser, you don't need it and can get perfectly good results without using it. The composter we use has a chamber at the bottom that collects all the liquids from the vegetation being composted, and syphons it to a tap where it can be run off and collected into bottles. When diluted down, that makes amazing liquid fertiliser, and not a scrap of any animal products anywhere!

Just wanted to share this graphic, Tarkus, because your post so inspires me. http://www.instructables.com/file/FG04N9YH1JUH7MB

The one item missing from so many compost 'how-tos' is leaves.
http://www.rockawayborough.com/rutgers_leaf.pdf

Leaf decomposition really lends itself to readily observing the process of humus conversion because the dark colors really show up quickly. Anyway, its all vegan and all good!!

funkyrake

Postby Tarkus » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:37 am

I found a diagram about my compost bin- here it is:

The centre column is designed to allow airflow through the composting material, which speeds up the composting process. They recommend that you put the waste in layered fashion- wet waste, such as leaves, grass cuttings, etc; then dry waste such as paper. The layers seem to kickstart the composting process, and the insulated bin walls maintain the heat needed for composting to take place. It's great, as it takes only a month or two to create decent compost- we use it on all our home-grown tomatoes and cucumbers. The composter is called the Aerobin- you can probably find out more about it from google. :-D

Tarkus

Postby pow wow » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:01 am

Tarkus wrote:I found a diagram about my compost bin- here it is:

The centre column is designed to allow airflow through the composting material, which speeds up the composting process. They recommend that you put the waste in layered fashion- wet waste, such as leaves, grass cuttings, etc; then dry waste such as paper. The layers seem to kickstart the composting process, and the insulated bin walls maintain the heat needed for composting to take place. It's great, as it takes only a month or two to create decent compost- we use it on all our home-grown tomatoes and cucumbers. The composter is called the Aerobin- you can probably find out more about it from google. :-D

I'm liking that but I can't justify the price for the allotment :).

pow wow
We Will Rock You

Postby funkyrake » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm

Now for the applications of compost. Small bin composting which may or may not include worms (vermiculture with its worm castings are gold!!) feed gardens generously. But what about small farms?
An interesting California farm is Singing Frogs Farm. The farmer uses a tractor only to move his compost
from bed to bed. He does use manure from his chickens and sheep. So not vegan. However, his goal is
to produce veggies year round, which he does and use what is called: "Permanent Raised Beds". PRBs
allow him to eliminate the need for tractor/rototill tilling and use the same beds continually. He still
rotates his crops. How can he use the same beds for different crops? His composting material. His claim is
compost smothers weeds. So this guy is not a certified organic farmer, but a certified Bee Friendly farmer.
Bee Friendly goes beyond certified organic becomes farmers use even less chemicals. He therefore is very sustainable in his practices and really works on keeping his bee pollinators/beneficials like ladybugs, wasps, and bees going with hedgerows and flowers.

But still, how to eliminate animals from the farm. It will take a paradigm shift. The above farmer sells
meat from his chickens and sheep. The human diet has included meat for 100's of thousand's of years.
How to turn it around to plant based diets? Definitely farms and garden do not need animals because the
nitrogen needed to produce crops can be produced by the legumes which fix NH3 from the atmosphere and can be rotated in with food crops.
So, it boils down to our own desire for meat and animal byproducts. Gotta figure it out. Meanwhile glaciers are melting and climate change is upon us. This IS the world we created!!!

funkyrake

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:20 pm

We are not going to rid animals from the diet or the farm.

Innuendoes

Postby Innuendoes » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:24 pm

How odd that a brand new member comes on QOL only to go straight to the news section and talk about changing the world to vegan and making compost and doesn't even post in any of the actual band forums.

Innuendoes

Postby Lino » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:40 pm

if everyone is fed on vegetables, then we destroy forests to plant all greenery to feed 7 billion people. We just need better dairy farms and to respect animals, their growth cycles and animals will have better quality. Suffering? It's in some horrible factory like farms. The death of a cow happens in a couple of seconds. I used to see my granny kill chickens, they didn't stand a chance with her.
I'm a globetrotter and I'm proud of it!

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby Tarkus » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 am

We don't need to clear any new land to grow vegetable crops- there's already enough land for crop growth to be able to feed around nine billion people comfortably- except that the land is used instead to grow feed for animals, which end up providing food for a significantly smaller number of people. We simply cannot continue to live adequately if we continue along this path, because we'll need more and more land to raise livestock on, which we'll be unable to provide without making a severe impact on the environment that would affect us globally.

Also, I'm not worried that our new member hasn't posted in the upstairs sections as yet- I wasn't aware that had to be a requirement for joining the board. I certainly haven't posted anything of note up there for ages, and neither have many other people who frequent this section- Queen are now a back-catalogue band, and there's only so much you can say about them without repeating yourself ad nauseum; I see Queen now as a common interest that brings people together to talk about other things. And 'we won't change, neener-neener-neener' is hardly a worthwhile counter-argument, whether it be about vegan farming or gun control.

Now I've got that off my chest, :topic:

Tarkus

Postby Lino » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:12 pm

other than crops, I believe that there's much inequality allied to crime, political and resource wars that block food distribution and land to be farmed in many places. In some places war stops local populations from irrigating and farming correctly, and lots of corruption and etc.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby funkyrake » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Lino wrote:other than crops, I believe that there's much inequality allied to crime, political and resource wars that block food distribution and land to be farmed in many places. In some places war stops local populations from irrigating and farming correctly, and lots of corruption and etc.

This is true. It is especially true in the occupied territory of Palestine were farmers and farms have been demolished. To compensate for loss of crops, rooftop gardening was developed. However, the Israeli's then demolised the homes. War does affect farming throughout the world. Also crops in general, some illegal like cannibis sativa and coco plants fo drugs affect edible production.

funkyrake

Postby Lino » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:35 pm

thing is... you use the cannabis plant for many things other than marijuana. Fiber (good for paper and clothes), pharmaceutical uses...
Here in Portugal eucaliptus has been a plague. Grows fast, but dries everything. Then you have bloody GMO's and etc.

Lino
The Show Must Go On

Postby funkyrake » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 am

Lino wrote:thing is... you use the cannabis plant for many things other than marijuana. Fiber (good for paper and clothes), pharmaceutical uses...
Here in Portugal eucaliptus has been a plague. Grows fast, but dries everything. Then you have bloody GMO's and etc.

THC content difference. Hemp is a geat fiber crop. Mariuana also has good qualities. It needs to be added to the planet in a sustainable way in order to not overly compete with edibles. Medicine, food, fiber and other plant based products allare necessary. Add in animals but just a few of them so they don't outcompete plants, humans, water. Everything in balance as Hopi American Aboriginals believe.

funkyrake

Re: Is Vegan Organic Farming Achievable?-NYC Food Compost?!!

Postby funkyrake » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:55 pm

This is toe curling delightfully exciting news. There is much to be worked out, foremost
sanitation issues. However, money to be saved, composting made for gardens and farms,
and local access to the compost, rather than buying it in little $7 cubic foot bags from
thousands of miles away trucked in.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/nyregion/bloombergs-final-recycling-frontier-food-waste.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

funkyrake

Postby Innuendoes » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:51 am

You can't FORCE the whole world to go vegan!

Innuendoes

PreviousNext

Return to Views Of The World